How do you use to charge cell phone on your ebike?

Zambam

1 kW
I bought 2 of these adapters from Aliexpress https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251...2hgMTVt&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

It's supposed to work from 9 to 84 v but I was never able to get neither one to work on my 48V Arrow 9. The power indicator does light up but the phone does not show it's charging. Yesterday, after I left it on for about 10 min I heard a loud pop, the cover blew off on the regulator and I found an electrolytics capacitor on the ground! Pure junk!

Attachments

• 274B7778-51FF-4966-A928-DA55DA46CDE3.jpeg
    274B7778-51FF-4966-A928-DA55DA46CDE3.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 12
  • BE34C6E0-094E-4D90-8FB9-54AE61C93649.jpeg
    BE34C6E0-094E-4D90-8FB9-54AE61C93649.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
Wireless charging is convenient. Have you measured power consumption wireless vs USB? Is it sturdily built? Any chance of it breaking? I had a cheapo bicycle computer w. wireless heart rate monitor on my bike (for aerobic exercise). After some time, the mount broke during a ride, computer fell off never to be found.

Which step down converter are you using?

It is sturdy. I’ve had it for a while now and it doesn’t slip or loosen. It holds the phone tightly. I’m not sure if it’s current draw. I haven’t any difference in my range.

This is the converter I’m using.

It is sturdy. I’ve had it for a while now and it doesn’t slip or loosen. It holds the phone tightly. I’m not sure if it’s current draw. I haven’t any difference in my range.

This is the converter I’m using.
Thanks for the converter link. Looks like wireless charger has a quick release mount which makes it easy to steal?

It would be easier to disconnect. They’d have to cut the cord too. There are probably other types that have a different release mechanism.

I use a 5v buck off the 12v output of the 72v to 12v buck converter that I use for headlights, horn, ect.

These ones are nice in that I find they actually supply the 5v, 2a required for so-called "fast charging."

It's supposed to work from 9 to 84 v but I was never able to get neither one to work on my 48V Arrow 9. The power indicator does light up but the phone does not show it's charging. Yesterday, after I left it on for about 10 min I heard a loud pop, the cover blew off on the regulator and I found an electrolytics capacitor on the ground! Pure junk!
The board is labelled 12-24v on the PCB, so unless that's an error in silkscreening, it is not designed for your system voltage and can't handle it.

The ad itself is titled
"9-24v 9-90v 36V 48V 72V 84V Double 1.0A2.1A USB Handlebar Charger Electric Scooter Motorcycle USB Mobile Phone 3.0 Quick Charger", and there are four different items listed, two of which are only good up to 24v.

Which specific one did you buy? If you bought one of the other two, then this probably means the seller sent you the wrong one. Are the ones you have labelled on the outside at all, on any part of them? Or only on the PCB?

If there's no external labelling, then what voltage is the blown cap labelled? (it's not visible in your images) That may help eliminate that as a problem (you'd have to know what the other parts are rated as well, which can often be found if we can see what their p/n's are).

If it has the correct voltage parts then the next most likely thing is the cap was installed backwards; that's what most often causes those symptoms, if too high a voltage wasn't applied to them.

The board is labelled 12-24v on the PCB, so unless that's an error in silkscreening, it is not designed for your system voltage and can't handle it.

The ad itself is titled
"9-24v 9-90v 36V 48V 72V 84V Double 1.0A2.1A USB Handlebar Charger Electric Scooter Motorcycle USB Mobile Phone 3.0 Quick Charger", and there are four different items listed, two of which are only good up to 24v.

Which specific one did you buy? If you bought one of the other two, then this probably means the seller sent you the wrong one. Are the ones you have labelled on the outside at all, on any part of them? Or only on the PCB?

If there's no external labelling, then what voltage is the blown cap labelled? (it's not visible in your images) That may help eliminate that as a problem (you'd have to know what the other parts are rated as well, which can often be found if we can see what their p/n's are).

If it has the correct voltage parts then the next most likely thing is the cap was installed backwards; that's what most often causes those symptoms, if too high a voltage wasn't applied to them.
Good detective work amberwolf! I did not realize there are 4 different versions when I placed the order....my bad! Default in the ad is the 9-24v unit and that's what I ordered! No wonder it blew! They could have written the ad to be more clear IMO.

I threw out the blown cap but still have the 2nd unit. I popped the cover and the cap in it is rated at 36 V.

edit: no labels on the outside.

Last edited:

The ad itself is titled

I somehow deleted my last reply. I ordered the wrong unit! Didn't realize there are 4 versions and ordered the 9-24v default version! I threw out the blown cap already but opened up the 2nd unit and the cap is rated at 36V. No wonder it blew! There's no label on the outside of the unit. At this point, I think I'm gonna get the wireless charger and converter that slaphappygamer is using.

I bought several battery bank empty casings. I use cells from my ebike battery building hobby to power them. Even my junk cells which arenot good enough for an ebike will run a bank for a log time. I can charge a phone in my pocket or a bike bag in an hour.

I have installed the wireless charger and DC/DC converter that slaphappygamer recommended. Been using it for a few days. Love not having deal with the USB charge cable anymore!

Attachments

• D15CFA32-D0BF-4BB5-AC9B-427593B30E98.jpeg
    D15CFA32-D0BF-4BB5-AC9B-427593B30E98.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 4
  • 2147E300-0C20-4EB3-A8D6-40A44F7035CD.jpeg
    2147E300-0C20-4EB3-A8D6-40A44F7035CD.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 4
Back