• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

How fast do you normally go.

Jethro56

100 W
As I wait in anticipation of my 2807 kit to arrive I've wondered "How fast do most people drive their bikes?" Not how fast they'll go but how fast is a normal speed in light traffic.

I have the same hub on a 700c rear wheel on one bike and a 26inch front wheel on an other bike. Both are power by a 36V battery.

The top speed of the 700c is around 24mph, but it is pretty weak at that speed. The top speed of the 26inch is 22mph.

Funny thing is that my trip time is not really noticeably different on between the two bikes.

My average moving speed is 18-19mph, my trip to work is 13-14miles and it takes about 45min. Not too much traffic, but tons of lights and stop signs. I basically run at full throttle as much as I can.

Get ready for some fun!!!

Typically full throttle. Depending on the bike I'm riding, that may be 15 or 45.

20-25 mph is pretty comfy for town riding. City riding might need to be faster to be comfy. All my routes can be done as slow as you choose.

My 9C 9x7 aka 2806 gives me 42-47mph on 20s2p LiPo battery.

20mph on streets, 24-27mph on low-traffic back roads where the coppers aren't hanging out :)

chroot said:
My 9C 9x7 aka 2806 gives me 42-47mph on 20s2p LiPo battery.

I'm pretty sure you have a 2807 motor. Mine does 6 mph less, that is however a dual hub setup with 15S lipo.

If there's a bike lane or a shoulder I tend to keep it between 20-25mph but slow up if there are other bikes. If I'm in traffic that's going 30+mph, I got WOT at about 28mph but slow up in areas with a lot of cross traffic.

On the sections of my commute with long gaps between cross streets I cruise 25mph. When I hit the smaller streets I slow to 20. My route goes through downtown and I take that section at 10 to 15mph. If I do it right I have a 20mph average for the trip.

This is all late at night between 1 and 4am so traffic is very light. I don't do much day ebike commuting as it's safer to ride the bus.

Gary

In town, I mostly ride the legal limit, not the E-bike limit but the circulation speed limit. Offroad, I ride as fast as the trail, or my balls, let me. :wink:

Mainly 20MPH, a little slower or faster depending on conditions. If I am going through town in Portland and I am running low on time, I might blast up with traffic at 25-30 (this is only if I have a pretty fresh charge, as once the surface charge goes after about 5 - 10 miles of fast riding) like I did the other day to make sure I wasn't too late getting to City Bikes, loved seeing the puzzled looks of other bicyclists when I took the lane at the light and then proceeded to blast away faster than the cars when it turned green! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I personally think this is just about the perfect power balance for a E-Bike used in traffic in 25MPH or less zones.

However, when I am on a really busy road like 99E, I will stay closer to 15MPH so that I don't get left-crossed by cars that have no clue how fast I am going and expect me to be going about 15MPH or less.

I tend to average about 22-23, but when I'm on the shoulder of the road with the traffic at my back I go as fast as I can. Which is about 30-32.

if you can pedal the bike, you'll be amazed at your acceleration. I can out accelerate most cars off the stop lights and beat them to the next stop light.

Back