How much electricty does it take to charge my pack?

My work offered to let me charge my ebike battery there if I wanted to. It is slightly less convenient for me, because I never know what my plan may be on the weekend. However, if it will save me sufficient money I'd be game for it.

So how much power does the average pack cost to charge? I have a 10Ah 48V LiPo pack that I use my 10A RC charger to balance. I commute about 5 miles/day and charge my pack twice a week. My electricity cost is 8.6 cents KWh.

If you round things off to about 500Wh (0.5kWh) for an empty pack you're roughly looking at 4-5 cents per charge at your rates. However, if you're only using 1/2 the battery capacity then it's only a couple cents per charge.

Most of us buy a kill-a-watt meter to get a better idea what devices and appliances consume.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xkill-a-watt+meter.TRS0&_nkw=kill-a-watt+meter&_sacat=0

If the pack was completely discharged (empty, 0% SOC), then, nominally, it would take 480Wh (48V*10Ah) to fully recharge. That is close to 0.5kWh, so about 4.3 cents.

major said:
If the pack was completely discharged (empty, 0% SOC), then, nominally, it would take 480Wh (48V*10Ah) to fully recharge. That is close to 0.5kWh, so about 4.3 cents.

Ykick said:
If you round things off to about 500Wh (0.5kWh) for an empty pack you're roughly looking at 4-5 cents per charge at your rates. However, if you're only using 1/2 the battery capacity then it's only a couple cents per charge.

Most of us buy a kill-a-watt meter to get a better idea what devices and appliances consume.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xkill-a-watt+meter.TRS0&_nkw=kill-a-watt+meter&_sacat=0

Thanks!! It's unreal how cheap ebike commuting is. The future is already here!

anon0973923 said:
major said:

Ykick said:

Thanks!! It's unreal how cheap ebike commuting is. The future is already here!

Future is looking good and the more ebikes the better!

Jealous as hell of your electricity rate. Here in NYC it's around 30 cents/kWh. They bill supply & delivery separately but that's what it comes out after all taxes, fees, etc.

Even still, at my sky-high rate it works out to about 2 cents per mile on a fairly peppy eBike. Plus it beats the hell outta gridlock!

8.6 cents per KWH, including all the fees and taxes? Lucky you, that's dirt cheap compared to my town at about 12 cents. 30 cents is really high. owww. That's get your solar panels now price!

It won't save you money that matters to charge at work, and sounds like there is no need to whatsoever. You aren't charging just to get back home.

Oops, my 30 cents/kWh was old info. I just checked latest bill and it's currently running over 35 cents/kWh.
FullSizeRender-1.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg

Of course you'll never see that with the sneaky way they parse the "delivery" and "supply" charges, plus "fees & taxes". But when you divide the Total electricity charges $71.46 by 201 kWh used = 35.5 cents/kWh

New York, I love my work and this is the only place I can do this work but you can stay in bed all day and somebody will figure out some way to get $50 out of you....

moved the post over to the crazybike2 thread itself to keep the data in one place:

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12500&p=1006988#p1006988

A killawatt meter will tell all, including the charger efficiency.

It used to take just under 1 kwh, .93 or such, to fill my 36v 20 ah pingbattery, when it was completely empty. Theoretically about 750wh.

I pay around 16 cents thanks to liberals blocking the natural-gas pipeline and every attempt to locate new sources of fuel, but in Alabama you can get 5.2 cents on weekends:

http://www.alabamapower.com/residential/pricing-rates/time-advantage-energy.asp

This is why the Tesla home battery may be useful - you can charge it off-peak and then draw from it during the day.

My Kill-A-Watt reported 0.99 to charge my pack. That is 990 Wh for a pack that my CA reports as providing 820Wh.

17.2% is lost due to the charger and the battery storage process.

It cost me about 16 cents to charge. I got 42 miles range at an average of 19.6 mph (but mostly at over 25 mph). So energy costs me 0.38 cents per mile. Or I can go 2.625 miles per penny.

Back