How to buy an automatic IGH like Bafang RG A510.D as a consumer?

lnanek

1 kW
I had a chain hop off the cogs on one of my non-hub motor bikes when down shifting while going uphill due to shifting under power. Derailleur L screw already tight. Would rather not interrupt the power with gear change sensors.

I'd like to switch to an IGH. Are there any available to consumers that shift automatically? Bafang seems to list some, like RG A510.D and RG A310.S.D:

Can't figure out any way to buy, though. The IGHs I can find, like Sturmey Archer, still require shifting.

There are several mfrs that offer igh that shift auto... Some stepped gears, some cvt. No idea which would be best for your application... The cvt is continuous, so should shift without the need for a sensor, maybe?

AFAICR the NuVinci / Enviolo drives do shift under load, but wear faster when shifting under load vs not, so I'd still do whatever you can to reduce or remove the load during the shift if it's possible.

Because of the way the autoshifting stuff works, being right at the hub, there's no cabling you can install a gear shifting sensor on, so it might take some ingenuity to get a signal out of the shifter to send to the motor's ebrake (for assisted bikes) or a light to tell the rider (for unassisted bikes) to cease power input during shifting.

If the automatic shifting was well-matched to a mid-drive - maybe one with torque-sensing, and could target a rider's useful cadence for pedal assist - this might really offer something.

My trike has a BBSHD driving through a manually shifted Alfine 8, with shift sensor. So far it all works great and seems durable for the type of riding I do. The real challenge is establishing an assist level, paired with a pedal-to-wheel ratio that lets me actually use the motor as assist. Lately I have been dialing back the assist power and using the taller gears to get something closer to fitness cycling. If I crank up the power and stay in the low gears, I can fly around like a banshee and phantom pedal all day!

To the OP, concerning dropping a chain on a conventional derraileur system - the IGH will generally solve that, whether it is manually, electrically, or automatically shifted - but with both systems, shifting under power often causes wear or even damage. The shift sensor for me is really insurance, as I don't shift under power instinctively.

Last edited:
The real challenge is establishing an assist level, paired with a pedal-to-wheel ratio that lets me actually use the motor as assist. Lately I have been dialing back the assist power and using the taller gears to get something closer to fitness cycling. If I crank up the power and stay in the low gears, I can fly around like a banshee and phantom pedal all day!
I don't know if modern autoshifting systems allow this, but the original NuVinci N171 Developer's Kit version had a program to let you program all the shift points, so it could be matched with whatever drive system you were going to use it in.

Somewhere around here there is a thread where someone built their own autoshifting control device for one of these (or another version of the hub).

I'm building a few non typical bikes and trikes with the BBSHD. So far have found the Alfine 8 with shift sensor to be a fine solution with wheels 26" and bigger. On the trikes and cargo bikes the wheels are 20" with the standard 46T chainring the cadence above 40kph is more on the olympic side for my liking. A large chainring for a BBSHD can cost as much as a three or four speed Sturmey hub and about €40 shy of an Alfine 8, so the choice isn't a gimme. I've found the three speed Sturmey to be well able to handle the power of the BBSHD but the gearing isn't idea. I have ordered an XRK4 hub which lends itself to higher speeds with the standard chainring. I'll keep yous posted on how it goes.

I'm building a few non typical bikes and trikes with the BBSHD. So far have found the Alfine 8 with shift sensor to be a fine solution with wheels 26" and bigger. On the trikes and cargo bikes the wheels are 20" with the standard 46T chainring the cadence above 40kph is more on the olympic side for my liking. A large chainring for a BBSHD can cost as much as a three or four speed Sturmey hub and about €40 shy of an Alfine 8, so the choice isn't a gimme. I've found the three speed Sturmey to be well able to handle the power of the BBSHD but the gearing isn't idea. I have ordered an XRK4 hub which lends itself to higher speeds with the standard chainring. I'll keep yous posted on how it goes.

The Sturmey is appealing for its light weight, but how often do you use the smaller gears? Is there an ultralight IGH that has mostly higher gears? Do the Sturmey or Enviolo have any wireless shifting options, indeed do any of them, my ebike guy said he couldnt install the bbshd shift limiter on wireless to stop you from grinding. The Sturmey is technically lighter than a derauillur system + ultralight hub, is it not? Whats the usual weight difference between it and something like a real lightweight hub of 80-150g and some medium-high range cassettes like idk ultegra? or dura ace? and assorted parts like derailleur, or a wireless system. Can you set up a system with just two or three cassette cogs? Is Enviolo the only variable one, I tried it on a Riese muller bike and it was heavy but so much more fun than any other system ive used. So HEAVY though, and whats up with Automatiq does that make it wireless shifting ornah. They say also that the enviolo stil doesnt really like to shift under load, but wont get thrashed like a regular IGH?

Last edited:
Back