how to get more speed out of my LX1

ToddB

1 µW
Hi,

I currently have an LX1 made by Rmartin.

36v 10ah battery(probably shockley)
250w(400max) motor.

The bike can pull me, my son, and his half bike(360lbs total) fairly easily.

However, when I ride it myself, my speed on level ground is only 13.5 mph without pedaling.

I was wondering about the easist way to get the speed up to 17 or 18mph.

Can I change the motor gears, or the controller to achieve this?

Thanks,

ToddB

The specs here:
http://www.electricbikedistributor.com/LX1-electric-bicycle.html

...say "Max Speed on motor power 18-20 mph"

Maybe ask the dealer why the performance/speed is so low? Or did you acquire 2nd-hand with tired batteries perhaps? Have you checked the pack voltage after charging to see if it is up to spec?

Ya also might want to use the Search box here to search for messages about RMartin vehicles as well...
Cheers
Lock

You can get speed decreases from.

Ball park figure performance hits.

Low tire pressure. 2mph
Rims not true. 2mph
Improper brake calibration. anything up to 3 mph and higher.
Tight bearing cones ??? never had this problem.
inadequate lubed bearings. ???
Using big knobby tread tires. 1 to 2mph

If all of these are not optimum your ebike will be a drag and your mileage will be not be stellar either.

<<<You can get speed decreases from.

Ball park figure performance hits.

Low tire pressure. 2mph
Rims not true. 2mph
Improper brake calibration. anything up to 3 mph and higher.
Tight bearing cones ??? never had this problem.
inadequate lubed bearings. ???
Using big knobby tread tires. 1 to 2mph>>>

None of these things apply here. I bought the bike new, and its in perfect mechanical condition, fairly smooth tires, fully inflated etc. Its gone the same max speed the whole time I've owned it.

Despite what was advertised, this is just the speed of the bike at my weight(190 lbs)

I have an L1 version of that bike. I have used 56V on my controller without problems, so if your controller is the same one you could go with 48V to get an 18 MPH top speed. I'll put a speedometer on mine to determine the MPH/V on mine and post it here later.

My old 12A Rmartin achieved only 17 MPH on level ground without peddling. I believe manufacturers’ estimate speed/torque for the "average" bicyclist, which is 150 lbs. Don't ask me why they consider the average rider is 150 lbs but maybe they are in China or Europe? I guess if I lost 60 lbs, 20 MPH wouldn't be unreasonable.
R Martin Bike July 26 2010 010.JPG

Back