How to know how much battery volts the ebike controller can take?

You might want to unplug the white balance wires, you don't want it draining the cells by accident now that it's fried.
Fyi, all those batteries in the picture were running with no BMS as that's usually why it was getting dumped.
But it's not very safe ..you really have to be diligent about manually checking the cell balances, and have non shakey hands so you don't short anything out while you're probing it.

Chalo said:
Well, it looks like you found the problem.

If there's a fuse, it will probably be on the big red wire between the BMS and the main power connector on the battery case. Not all battery packs have one.

Yeah I am going to look for that one later. But guess I have to order a new circuit card right? Solder it on there to see if it still works.

Any idea on what this circuit card is for a model? I imagine I will have to order a new one

Yes, you will need to replace the BMS.

I've never received the same BMS as a replacement even when buying one from the battery supplier. Unless I'm replacing one I have already replaced before, it inevitably uses a different plug, and I have to splice all the sense wires.

So if I were you, I'd go to eBay and buy a BMS that has adequate power rating, and install it. Get some small heat shrink tubing for the sense wires while you're there.

Chalo said:

I've never received the same BMS as a replacement even when buying one from the battery supplier. Unless I'm replacing one I have already replaced before, it inevitably uses a different plug, and I have to splice all the sense wires.

So if I were you, I'd go to eBay and buy a BMS that has adequate power rating, and install it. Get some small heat shrink tubing for the sense wires while you're there.

The BMS is the same as the circuit card? Or is that something else? How do I know which one to buy? Do they have some kind of text on them or something? With different values or something?

E-driver_ said:
Chalo said:

The BMS is the same as the circuit card? Or is that something else? How do I know which one to buy? Do they have some kind of text on them or something? With different values or something?
Rather than reinvent the wheel, the battery sticky is loaded if good info, and do a search within that sticky to narrow it to bms posts.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26621
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26621&p=384361&hilit=bms#p384361

Chalo said:

Hmm ok.

How do I know the right rating on a bms? The battery is 36volt 13ah

E-driver_ said:
Chalo said:

Hmm ok.

You need a 36 volt (10 cells in series) BMS that can support at least as much current as your motor controller plus any other loads that might be placed on it. 35 amps is a common specification that will do what you need it to do.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403768040288

Chalo said:
E-driver_ said:
Chalo said:

Hmm ok.

You need a 36 volt (10 cells in series) BMS that can support at least as much current as your motor controller plus any other loads that might be placed on it. 35 amps is a common specification that will do what you need it to do.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403768040288

I ordered one with 36v 35ah balance. Here because the one you sent me did not ship to europe. But this one looked similar: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002124033251.html?pdp_npi=2%40dis%21USD%21US%20%245.14%21US%20%243.55%21%21%21%21%21%40210323b216598587862444431e8265%2112000029803891356%21im

Any idea what the difference between "balance" and without balance stands for here?

When you solder this thing on. Is it hard to do? Or is there a guide somewhere on how to do it? Is it like soldering on a new fuse with fuse holder basically? Or i this a bit harder with more stuff to do? And if so, what do I need to do? :)

Balance means the BMS will bleed current from the cells that come up to full voltage before the others. It's a slow process and usually won't balance a pack on a single charge unless the pack is left on the charger for a long time. Once the pack is balanced, the balance function is usually enough to keep it balanced over time if you're not abusing it.

You'll have 11 sense wires to splice, plus 3 larger wires to solder to the battery negative, charger negative, and load negative. Unless you luck out and the new BMS uses the same plug as the battery.

I now have a similar BMS.

Now.. :) A new accident happened so now I am a bit gunshy from the whole process since I have realised that these lithium batteries can be quite dangerous :)

I plugged in the new BMS to the cell-pack. But I did not connect the bms to the main current connection out of the battery-case. I only connected the bms to the cells. Not the other end since it needs soldering and so on.

Now, I was looking inside that blue plastic wrap that is around most batteries. And when I was lifting it out of curiosity, to see what was inside there, it came sparks out of the battery(!). :)

I don't know why this happened. Is this because my physical hands were touching the cells without battery gloves? Or do you think those firey sparks which sounded like mini short cuts kind of.. happened because the bms was connected to the cells but not to the other end where the on-switch is or something?

When this happened the bms was connected like the pictures below show. So connected to the cells but not those other three small holes on the other side of the bms(need to solder those on right?).

I have now disconnected it from the battery agan and am a bit afraid to touch the battery again :).

Attachments

• Skärmavbild 2022-09-15 kl. 15.18.23.png
    Skärmavbild 2022-09-15 kl. 15.18.23.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 92
  • Skärmavbild 2022-09-15 kl. 15.19.03.png
    Skärmavbild 2022-09-15 kl. 15.19.03.png
    398.6 KB · Views: 92
Back