Hub motor makes squealing noise after reassembly

fitek

1 kW
I took apart a direct drive hub motor and put it back together again. Now when I spin it, it squeals like a tire on painted concrete.

I had to use some elbow grease to get it back together so I wonder if its mis aligned or whether I screwed up a bearing?

I took the cover plates off both sides. There are magnets on the outside of the rim and the large center piece has copper windings. It stuck to the magnets after the cover plates were removed. I wanted to pull this piece out and gave it a few whacks with a hammer (with a piece of wood in between) but it didn't budge so my curiosity diminished, I put it back together. When I put the plates back on they weren't centered right (since the magnets and copper attracted each other, moving the axle off center) and so I had to work on it a bit to get it back on.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like me, if it won't budge, get a bigger hammer. You may have shifted the axle to one side and now the windings rub on the cover? Or something is If you can see any indications of which way the axle shifted, if it is that, you might be able to tap it back into position with a hammer, and a wood block to keep from mashing the axle threads. It doesn't sound that much like you trashed a bearing, they were off when you got out the hammer. If you know which side you pounded on before, maybe a few light taps from the other side may do the trick. I had a similar problem with my burnt out bd36, which after all the heat, had an axle shaft that wouldn't stay put anymore.

I fixed this motor. I just whacked it good on the other side. But the problem was simpler. It has a rubber seal on one side of the axle, and I simply did not put it back together correctly. The rubber was rubbing. All good now, except I blew the controller on the bike after 4 miles, for the Nth time.

I would guess that both of you worked for General Motors. Back in "1972" that was our primaary tool a BFH and a BFS. The hammer was to put it in and the screwdriver was to take it out :lol:
I found the way to take the stator out was to remove one side cover, then put a block of wood on the floor and push down on the wheel and out comes the stator. Kinda in reverse to reinstall, but you better be careful. It snaps back in faster than you expect it to.
Dan

Back