• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Hub Motor

ebikesvi

1 mW
I'm trying to pull apart a rear hub motor built by HTE to access electronics. This is a planetary geared motor and has just a three-pin connector with no hall sensor connector.

I've gotten inside the hub but it has an internal casing covering most of the electronics. On one side of the casing is the planetary assembly, the other side once removing the screwed on cover shows the stator windings but there is another layer of cover on the axle area. There are screws on both the planetary side and the cassette side inside the case as well as an o-ring on the planetary drive gear on the axle, but I'm not sure which of these might help peel away the last layer; pulling the screws on the axle area by the windings did not seem to release anything, nor did the o-ring obviously release the gear. I see one sensor mounted by the windings close to the axle, and guess this must be a thermistor not a hall sensor, though it looks more like an sp41 case and I think has three wires in, so maybe it is a hall - though I would think it would require three such sensors, and they should be mounted on the outside ring close to the magnets. Inside that internal cover I see color coded wires that look more like what I'd expect of hall sensor wires.

Has anyone pulled apart this vendor's motors or any similar motors? I can upload photos later. I'm curious how the three-pin only setup works, it must have some different internal electronics beyond just having hall sensors feeding signals back out through the usual 5 pin cable.

Thanks,

Charlie

Pictures would be good. Who is HTE?
otherDoc

Is this a Currie? HTE lettering turns up on those.

Or is this some conversion?

HTE-with-shadow-300x199.jpg

Thanks for the questions, I found the Bafang hub documentation in the technical reference area and that has many similarities: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=51237

In particular I think I have enough information from the section about the sun gear, circlip, and how to use 3-prong gear tool with caution to avoid damage to the stator to try to get to the next step if pushing the casing off the stator to expose the electronics.

Also discovered the connector was not three pins, it has small connectors on the side walls plus three heavier pins, so the electronics inside are probably similar to other well documented sensor setups.

A question; is it insane to try to complete this disassembly without cutting the wires? I'm skeptical of the way the solder connections are made when wires are cut and spliced using the solder alone for strength (before shrinkwrap). Even if some of the guys doing this have steady enough hands and experience doing it, I doubt my own ability to set strong enough solders...

Thanks again.

Back