I guess we've been holding out long enough...

Progress pictures. Looking like it might be finished Thur. Current plan is to head to the Outer Banks on Friday to start the trip

Bubba

Attachments

• P1010034.jpg
    P1010034.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 1,981
  • P1010037.jpg
    P1010037.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 1,967
  • P1010038.jpg
    P1010038.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 1,967
  • P1010039.jpg
    P1010039.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 1,981
  • P1010040.jpg
    P1010040.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 1,981
  • P1010041.jpg
    P1010041.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 1,967
  • P1010043.jpg
    P1010043.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,981
The pictures look really good!

I spoke with Christian last night. He was excited, but mentioned how much more fabrication was needed than they innitially expected.

I think they are doing a fantastic job with all fab work from what I can see.

Matt

Last time I talked to them they were going to shake down the trike on Thursday (today) and drive to the Outer Banks (4 hour drive) on Friday to start the ride. I hope to get over to the shop today and get a shot of the completed trike.

Bubba

I talked to the crew today and they were going to put it on the road for the first time, but it didn't happen. As they were doing the final chain alignment they found a problem with the bearings on the jack shaft connecting the pedals. Seem like the hole in the bearing block is a little tight and when the bearings were pressed in the they start having a lot of drag.

So the plan is to shake down the trike on Fri, Sat drive to the Outer Banks in North Carolian, and then start the trip on Sun.

Bubba

Attachments

• P10100491.jpg
    P10100491.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,899
a pic of the completed trike ...I like the rear view mirrors

http://www.wix.com/trivelo/the-trivelo-project

Talked to Tommy today. They took the trike out for an 80 mile shakedown cruse. The only issues were that the front of the solar cell needed more support and they needed higher gears to keep up with the motor when they are cruising at 30 mph. More bracing and higher gears go on tonight and then they head to the Outer Banks tomorrow. The trip begins Monday. They have promised to start a trip thread.

Bubba

Hey guys,

Sorry it's been so long since a post, but we have been running around like some leaf cutter ants trying to get this thing put together. I just wanted to let you guys know that it's finally happening. Christian and I are sitting in "The first wind powered brew pub in America" (must be the most efficient wind turbine, because it isn't even spinning!) in Kitty Hawk right now. We're waiting on Tommy and Jessie to finish doing their laundry before we jump in the ocean and see them off.

The trike is awesome right now and ready to roll.

Thank you guys for all of your support. Keep track of their location on www.triveloproject.com. And just for you Dan, I'll go ahead and start a thread for those guys. I don't know that they'll use it much, because they plan on blogging on another website, I think that will happen on the afore mentioned one. If they're path will come close to any of you guys, I think that the new thread will be a good place for you guys to try to get in touch with them in case you feel like checking out the trike and ride with them for a few miles, or in case they need help and you guys are their only hope!

And as far as my bike goes, I've used about half of my pack and gone about 30 miles. That's pedaling at 25mph and getting about 13 wh/mile! Thanks for the efficient drive, Matt!

Oh yea.. The trike is seeing a top speed of a little over 30mph and using somewhere between 45 and 55 watt-hours/mile. It weighs in at about 320 lbs. and is one fun machine!

Thanks!

Daniel

That's awesome news Dan, thanks for the pics! That is truly a great platform to show this hobby/vehicle as a viable form of transportation. I will be following the blog for updates and stories from the road. I do have one question though, who steers? :oops:

Every morning they wake up, they get in an insane thumb wrestling match to determine who steers! There's normally a lot of blood and innocent bystanders normally have to be rushed to the hospital as well.

I think that they will just alternate steering as each of them has the desire. Since Tommy is pretty tall and Jesse is pretty regular, they'll each have their own chain (connected by a quick link) and switch sides with it when they want to trade jobs.

We launched them yesterday at about 5pm EST!

I can't wait for you guys to see a picture with the trike loaded down with gear! Stay in tune to the TriveloProject website. That is, in fact, where the blogging and the new pics will be posted.

Thanks,

Daniel

Dirt-E-Dan said:
Thank you guys for all of your support. Keep track of their location on http://www.triveloproject.com. And just for you Dan, I'll go ahead and start a thread for those guys. I don't know that they'll use it much, because they plan on blogging on another website, I think that will happen on the afore mentioned one.

The only thing that counts is that they have a thread somewhere. I am glad to hear that the trip got started, but 5 PM!!
Well I guess you have to sart sometime.

Bubba

where is the thread or blog or site ?

3691 miles in 26 days = 142 mi/day average

Are the batteries fully solar charged when the sun goes down so as to not have discharged batteries thru the night ?

How many wh/mi with no pedaling ?

How many watts is the solar array ?

They average 50 wh per mile. The solar panel is 400 watts. They will be parking at camp grounds with plug in outlets for overnight charging.

I think they said their pack is good for 150 miles on a charge.

Matt

I'm not sure on the efficiency of the trike on just battery power, but I assume it's around the 60ish wh / mile, maybe more. That motor is working really well and has plenty of power. They'll definitely have to turn up the amperage when they get to the mountains though.

On the first (and only) day of testing they rode 80 miles, 20 of which were at night. This charge also included a jaunt around the block for all of the employees at Belmont Textile Machinery Company as well.

Like Matt said, the solar panel is 400w and it is primarily a range extender. However, if they need to park the trike, they can tilt the panel and soak up some good rays. We're expecting plus or minus 100 miles of range per charge.

We changed the freewheels on the common shaft to 16t white industries (you can relax now Matt :D ) and that puts it at a 25mph comfortable cadence with the motor. When they're really cranking it, they can see about 30mph pedaling with electric assist. We're very pleased with how this motor performs alone too. It will easily hit 30mph on flat ground and maxes out just over that.

Per Bubba's advice, Christian wired up a switch to engage the regenerative braking. This will be a nice addition for the mountains!

I'm anxious to hear about their first long day. They were hoping to see 100 miles today.

I'll figure out where the blog site is as soon as I can.

Thanks again,

Daniel

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3598840&op=1&o=all&view=all&subj=314654064610&aid=-1&oid=314654064610&id=572748038

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?op=1&view=all&subj=314654064610&aid=-1&pid=3598839&id=572748038&oid=314654064610

I'm curious to see how that motor handles pushing 620lbs up the mountains, even with them pedaling.

8% grade, 620lbs: would be 10mph with 1137watts to the back wheel. Hopefully they don't hit any grades above that. And hopefully the motor doesn't overheat at 10mph.

If each rider can put out 250watts comfortably (reasonable aerobic output for a fit cyclist), then the motor would only need to put out about 600watts at 10mph, which seems reasonable for such a strong motor. I do see problems if they hit grades above 12% for extended periods though.

Thanks for the segue, veloman. Tommy called me today to express his concern of the underpower. They are starting to get into the mountains of NC and experiencing this load for the first time. These mountains aren't as bad as what they'll be getting into either.

Their efficiency dropped down to about 67 wh / mile. The trike is going about 8 mph uphill and they are both cranking their faces off. Basically, I am asking for advice. We're thinking that we need to get a controller that is capable of handling higher current so they can power up for the climbs. 8mph won't quite cut it if they want to make their deadline!

They are seeing temperatures of about 140 in both the controller and the motor. I don't know if those readings were at the same time or not.

I know this isn't the correct forum, but hopefully you guys can help? Should I post up in the hub motor section with this problem? (posting here saves me a step :D )

Thanks,

Daniel

Not sure what the "problem" is ??

they are at their power limit. Can one really expect more for 2 people going up grade ?

They are not exempt from the Laws of Physics

Hmmm, well clearly they are worried that they might overheat their electrics, and/or not make their deadline since 8mph up the mtns is slower than they expected.

Somebody send them an additional friction drive unit to mount in conjunction, ASAP! Or a push trailer with a really small wheel. Then they can disengage when not needed.

Dan, definitely ask the guys in the hub motor section. I don't know anything about hub motors, but maybe there is some way to improve the motor's torque.

When you use the regen on the downhills, you'd get best range by keeping your speed lower therefore capturing the most energy. You don't want to be slamming on the regen when you get 40mph to slow to 30. Rather, I think the best thing to do is keep it on all the time at say 25mph. Although I have no idea how much braking power that is (current being thrown back in the batteries) on steep descent. Either way, it should be easier on your electrics than trying to decelerate from 40 to 30 on a downhill. That's just my intuitive thoughts, I've actually never used regen... :?

I spoke with Tommy twice today. They ran into a serious snag........

The long jackshaft connecting the two pedal chains to the one rear chain broke in the mountains (Sparta?). So, Tommy called to get my perspective on the best material for a new jackshaft. They found a fab shop that seems willing to help them out. However, they need the shaft ASAP. So, they are having McMaster overnight them one. This is a real problem because their controller cannot climb the mountains without their help pedalling. Methods is going to try to overnight a controller to them that will allow more power for the mountains. I am standing by to order and drop-ship them whatever is needed mechanically.

Anyway, they are in good spirits and their legs need a rest anyway. So, a couple days off will be a good thing. They are running low on support funds, though. So, they are camping in individual's yards and what-not to save cash. Most people let them plug in and feed them just because the project is so cool. 8)

They are definately having fun, though, and they are totally open to the challenges they face!

Matt

When I first saw that long pedal shaft, I worried that it wouldn't hold up under high torque... Hopefully they can get it fixed soon.

Do they know about the website warmshowers.org?

I'm not sure how that community looks upon electric assisted bike touring, but there may be people along the route willing to support them. It's a free network of cyclists letting cross country cyclists stay at their home overnight.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the support!

We went ahead and ordered a 100V 100A infineon controller from Methods, it should be here today. That should do a lot to help with the climbing of the Appalachians and eventually the Rockies. We will just have to really keep an eye on motor temps to make sure that we keep it within safe operating temps.

I think we will take a more Southernly route out west to avoid the very steeper sections of the Rockies.

Our new route will likely be as follows: North Carolina-Virginia-Kentucky-Illinois-Missouri-Kansas-Colorado-New Mexico-Arizona-California.

We are currently in Sparta, NC waiting on the controller and a new case-hardened shaft. We are 50 miles outside of Damascus, VA, our next destination. From there we will be heading west through Virginia into Kentucky. Once we are out of the bulk of the mountains, we plan to cover some pretty heavy daily mileage in the Plains.

The shaft is supposed to be here tomorrow, so we hope to be rolling again tomorrow afternoon!

VRdublove said:
Hey guys,

We are currently in Sparta, NC waiting on the controller and a new case-hardened shaft. We are 50 miles outside of Damascus, VA, our next destination. From there we will be heading west through Virginia into Kentucky. Once we are out of the bulk of the mountains, we plan to cover some pretty heavy daily mileage in the Plains.

The shaft is supposed to be here tomorrow, so we hope to be rolling again tomorrow afternoon!

You might want to consider getting Drity-E-Dan and the BTM crew to start fabricating a 3/4" shaft to replace the 1/2" one. It would mean new freewheel adapters and bearing blocks. From what I remember of you system, I think a 3/4" bearing block could be made to fit the same foot print and the shaft would be within an 1/8" of its current location.

How about some pictures of the broke stuff.

Bubba

VRdublove said:
Our new route will likely be as follows: North Carolina-Virginia-Kentucky-Illinois-Missouri-Kansas-Colorado-New Mexico-Arizona-California.
Northern AZ along I40 or Central AZ along I40 and then I17? Or something different?

Just curious, as I'd be interested in meeting up if possible if you go thru Phoenix, just to say hi and see the trike. :)

Back