I hate 1X drivetrains

The problem is that cheaper alternatives to the new tech are being deliberately phased out by manufacturers, because there's more money to be made trying to find ways to maximize extraction from the cyclist. Not only do the 1X parts and electronic shifting and such cost more, but when the next generation of bikes come out with slight changes that are incompatible with that previous generation's components, the previous generation of bikes can end up as landfill fodder when something breaks, in spite of otherwise being loaded with perfectly good parts for lack of compatibility with anything else. So now an otherwise repairable problem by replacing defective components becomes buy a new bike and throw the old one out because nothing else will fit.

This is the reason I sought out my inexpensive, poorly-made, cheap-and-Chinesey full suspension mountainbike with its 2x7 drivetrain. If something fails, I can find inexpensive used parts from other cheap bikes and swap them in. I suspect in 10-15 years, most of the 1X bikes and bikes with electronic shifting made for the U.S. market won't be economically repairable because you won't be able to get parts.

Last edited:
Whats their lifespan, how many years down the road before you cant use it anymore, or that you need that special tool or part and that aint made no 'mo. Such a unique piece, not so plentiful 'nor affordably cheap, special fancy adapter means ur-sol. Unique sized tubing, limiting parts. One off bb width. Fancy tube bends/dimensions, limiting what you can do.

The problem is that cheaper alternatives to the new tech are being deliberately phased out by manufacturers, because there's more money to be made trying to find ways to maximize extraction from the cyclist. Not only do the 1X parts and electronic shifting and such cost more, but when the next generation of bikes come out with slight changes that are incompatible with that previous generation's components, the previous generation of bikes can end up as landfill fodder when something breaks, in spite of otherwise being loaded with perfectly good parts for lack of compatibility with anything else. So now an otherwise repairable problem by replacing defective components becomes buy a new bike and throw the old one out because nothing else will fit.

This is the reason I sought out my inexpensive, poorly-made, cheap-and-Chinesey full suspension mountainbike with its 3x7 drivetrain. If something fails, I can find inexpensive used parts from other cheap bikes and swap them in. I suspect in 10-15 years, most of the 1X bikes and bikes with electronic shifting made for the U.S. market won't be economically repairable because you won't be able to get parts.
I'm using 6 year old DI2 equipment. The battery has started failing, and I'm sure that at some point the circuitry will fail too. But, it's been far more reliable than any cable-actuated derailleur I've EVER had. When the time comes and I put the groupset down like Old Yeller, then I'll weep, but I certainly won't feel like I got a bad value.

Yup, for e-bikes the expensive fancy gear is not necessary or even beneficial. Saving some grams just doesn't matter. I have converted two older MTBs to mid drives and kept the old 8 and 9 sp configurations... and get the cheapest cassettes and chains that I can find. Works perfectly.

This is the reason I sought out my inexpensive, poorly-made, cheap-and-Chinesey full suspension mountainbike with its 3x7 drivetrain. If something fails, I can find inexpensive used parts from other cheap bikes and swap them in. I suspect in 10-15 years, most of the 1X bikes and bikes with electronic shifting made for the U.S. market won't be economically repairable because you won't be able to get parts.

I'm using 6 year old DI2 equipment. The battery has started failing, and I'm sure that at some point the circuitry will fail too. But, it's been far more reliable than any cable-actuated derailleur I've EVER had. When the time comes and I put the groupset down like Old Yeller, then I'll weep, but I certainly won't feel like I got a bad value.
If the circuitry is accessible, you might be able to repair it with some inexpensive components and a soldering iron, provided it isn't a software issue or an issue with any microprocessors present. I'd suspect corroded wires or connections destroyed by vibration will be the most likely failures.

::cheers:: someone got it... I mean besides ...

Know how the reavers clean their spears?

Run em through the Wash.

Ok, i am done.
Ohhh, too soon.

The problem is that cheaper alternatives to the new tech are being deliberately phased out by manufacturers, because there's more money to be made trying to find ways to maximize extraction from the cyclist.

I'm convinced that the reason new Shimano road front derailleurs work so much worse than the ones they made for 40 years before that is a dishonest attempt to promote more profitable alternatives like one-by and electronic shifting by breaking the cheap and effective stuff.

Off-topic but related: It sure looks like Shimano nerfed their cable disc brakes to make their hydros seem better, and nerfed their cheap hydros to make the expensive stuff seem better. Either that, or the most engineering intensive bike parts manufacturer around can't make cheap brakes that work as well as their competitors' cheap brakes. That seems unlikely to me.

The total abandonment of intercompatibility and backwards compatibility that we have seen since 10 speed appeared is pure undisguised planned obsolescence.

The latest addition to my e-bike roster uses a Deore XT M730 6-speed thumbshifter and derailleur. 40ish years old, untold accumulated mileage-- and it simply does the thing the way it always has. It will happily shift 7, 8, or 9 speeds if I change the shifter (or just switch the old one to friction mode).

I'm using Shimano M-200 hydraulics on my MTB and they're perfect for me. IMO, the solution to the problem with parts becoming obsolete is to have a few spares as I prefer 9-speed for MTB and 8 for eMTB.

The thing is that the front derailleur on the 10-speed Dura-Ace was amazing. Super accurate and very light action. But the 11-speed Ultegra was not very good and GRX is terrible. IDK why they can't make these consistent.

I'm convinced that the reason new Shimano road front derailleurs work so much worse than the ones they made for 40 years before that is a dishonest attempt to promote more profitable alternatives like one-by and electronic shifting by breaking the cheap and effective stuff.

The thing is that the front derailleur on the 10-speed Dura-Ace was amazing. Super accurate and very light action. But the 11-speed Ultegra was not very good and GRX is terrible. IDK why they can't make these consistent.
They can, and they proved it for decades. Then they decided not to.

Back