I made an electric wheelchair from a scooter

pfcs49 said:
Generally there's no good empirical info to compare one chinese hub-motor to another.
There is the Grin Tech motor simulator, which has some (though by no means comprehensive listing of) motors that have been characterized well enough to tell quite a lot about how well one would do a job vs another. https://ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html

nicobie said:
I wouldn't under volt a motor. Don't see the need. More Amps=more chooch. :mrgreen:

What about over-volting one? The original KDX is 36V and 16A

How will a 36V motor do running on a 48V controller, and, I think more importantly,
how will it tolerate being run on a controller with a higher current limit and 36V?

The amount of time run at over-amps will be small percentage-wise, but there are many steep pitches around here where it bogs down to 3-5 mph. The wait on the 3mph pitches seems an eternity, waiting to see if I need to get off and walk.....but I can't :)
So the wait will certainly result in temperature rise; I !guess my pyrometer or an embedded sensor will tell the tale, but if a fortune teller here could give some coaching, I'd appreciate it!

Back