Improving Sunko 709A (220V) Current capabilities

multifrag

100 W
I've watched a video on how to improve a Sunko spot welder. Found some premade spot welding tips for £15 and made an upgrade.[youtube]J2noz_7PGsA[/youtube]
Works like a charm. If you have the tools, patience and find the original pen lacking in performance this might be for you. Unfortunately I don't have a clamp meter to check the improvements. Went from having to max the pulses and level 4 down to 4p and level 7.

I had the same problem using one of the 12 volt welders. When I upgraded the probe cables from 8 gauge copper clad to 6 gauge pure copper welding cable it was a huge improvement. No more hot cables to hold, with copper clad I was barely doing a few welds before they got too hot to hold.

In the lower picture the probe cables look like copper clad, pure copper has a darker color, pure copper are also very heavy rigid cables, well worth the price for best performance. Copper nails work good as probe tips, they won't bend like solid copper wire.

jonyjoe303 said:
I had the same problem using one of the 12 volt welders. When I upgraded the probe cables from 8 gauge copper clad to 6 gauge pure copper welding cable it was a huge improvement. No more hot cables to hold, with copper clad I was barely doing a few welds before they got too hot to hold.

In the lower picture the probe cables look like copper clad, pure copper has a darker color, pure copper are also very heavy rigid cables, well worth the price for best performance. Copper nails work good as probe tips, they won't bend like solid copper wire.

Because i have quick connects it won't take me long to convert the wire. I have some 25mm² welding cable left, but I think it would be too rigid for my use. Might look for a similar cable with more strands. I would love to try welding copper strips with the modification. Before it was almost maxing out at 0.2mm nickel strip...

Back