Internal gear hub, maybe Nuvinci N360 for Bafang BBS01 BBS02

cjh

100 W
I am embarking on a new build starting with a bare frame. I want to run an internal gear hub with a rear disc and 26" rims. The rear dropout is 135mm. I have a 36V 250W BBS01 but will be changing to a BBS02 750W down the track. I was looking at the Nuvinci N360 as an option to the normal IGH. As this is totally new for me, how many speeds and what brand/sort of IGH should I look at that will cope with the eventual 750W? Rolhoff are a bit too pricey for me.

Let me just copy and paste my reply to a similar question on another thread.

I have a Bafang 750W with a Nuvinci N360 hub. The bike is a Diamondback Edgewood with 700C rims. It works great with one thing you have to get used to. When you change to higher gearing you have to stop pedaling for a moment to reduce the torque on the chain/Nuvinci 360. Once you get used to it you don't even think about it. Down shifting is not a problem. I also had to convert to a solid chain tensioner. Spring loaded tensioners would allow the chain to slip from the strong torque. I had to go though a few gears on the rear wheel to find the best ratio for my hilly terrain around here. I have muscle atrophy due to an old injury on my right leg and this bike setup has allowed me to enjoy riding bike again. Oh, and I used a bottle battery and like how the weight is nice and low.

Back