Is there any shortage on 18650 Lithium battery supply?

sonnetg

1 kW
Hello,

I have been out of the loop in the EV bike world for a while. Lately, I was planning on building some new 18650 battery packs for my bikes, but it seems there is a huge shortage for quality and brand name cells. And even if there may some available occasionally, the prices shot through the roof.

Is there any shortage going on due to supply chain or covid related issues or just EV demand right now? If so, I would can wait for some time. But I hope the shortage doesn't get worse.

Note: I do see Tumich is selling 18650 cells, but I want brand new cells and not recycled cells from other packs. Littkola on Ali Express also has a buzz on youtube, but still not sure if those are B or C grade and worth investing my time to build packs with those cells.

Any advise..

Thank you so much,

Note to Admins: Please feel free to merge this topic if any existing threads already exists. Ty.

Ah...i should have searched before. I do see a similar thread. It seems it is not just 18650, but lithium itself is in short supply. The demand will only keep on climbing :D

Recycled batteries may be my only option for now.

Link to previous thread: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=111061&p=1628012&hilit=Lithium+shortage#p1628012

Back