Is this Ping 20Ah 48v 32s 2P or 8s 2P?

Sorry for the newbie question, but I wanted to double-check what the "S" rating on my pack is so I can set my CA v3 battery gauge to show the right fuel gauge display.

It is divided into 2 half-packs each containing 32 cells with the cells in groups of 4 (I think they are connected in parallel within each group?) and then with each of the 8 groups connected in series within each half-pack. Does this mean the pack is termed 32s 2P even though not all the cells are in series? or should that be 8s 2P treating each group of 4 paralleled 3.5v cells as a single mega cell? Or have I got this completely wrong?! :)

With my CA v3 configured for 16s, the battery gauge display empties too quickly - it was even worse when it was set at 8s - so I'll shortly test it set to 32s and see if that is a better approximation.

Here's what one of the half-packs looks like naked:
file.php

Thanks!

Ping 48v batteries are 16S.

All 48v LiFePo4 batteries have to be 16S.

By the way, Your S x P = No. of cells, so if you have 32 cells, it has to be 32S1P, 16S2P, 8S4P, or some variation of that.

Thanks guys. With 32 cells in each half-pack, 16S4P does make sense. I'll tweak the Ah rating setting and see if that fixes the inaccurate Battery gauge display on the CA.

Its 4p 16s. Each half is 4p 8s.

16s 4p would be 16 cells in series, and four 5 ah packs like that then paralleled.

Yours is four 5 ah cells soldered in parallel, with 16 cell groups in series.

I know it's really nit picking here,, but the part visible is 4p 8s

The cells are in groups of 4 p.

8s 4p would be wired completely differently.

dogman dan said:
Its 4p 16s. Each half is 4p 8s.
16s 4p would be 16 cells in series, and four 5 ah packs like that then paralleled.
Yours is four 5 ah cells soldered in parallel, with 16 cell groups in series.
I know it's really nit picking here,, but the part visible is 4p 8s
The cells are in groups of 4 p.
8s 4p would be wired completely differently.

Thanks Dan, I think I've wrapped my brain around how it all works now. Looks like I was right to originally set the CA to 16s after all. Good to know!

48v ping is definitely 16s, but the industry standard for 48v is 15s for lifepo4,, and 13s for the manganese types.

Back