• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Its not a planetary............ so what is it?

DeathBlade

100 W
Well its been a while! A few months back I found what I thought was going to be a cheap 33:1 planetary gearbox at harbor freight but now that I've found it(it was in my camping gear somehow) and taken it apart I don't know what kind of gear box it could be.

First you turn the input 33 times the output turns once, it looks like a planetary when you open it but its not.
You can see two sets of gear on the outer edge when you rotate the input shaft the top gear "walks" around in the housing and the bottom gear takes one step I think there cam in between the two gears. I'm not explaining it well but what kind of gear box is this?

http://www.harborfreight.com/torque-multiplier-lugnut-remover-93645.html

DSCF7397.jpg

DSCF7398.jpg

DSCF7401.jpg

DSCF7402.jpg

DSCF7403.jpg

I think it's called an eccentric cycloidal reduction

Thanks! I have a place to start googling
From closer inspection I dont think it would be able to take the RPM I want to put through it :(
Now to find a real 30:1 planetary.........

I believe it is a planetary, the six pins in the pic with your thumbs suggest there are 6 planets inside the two sister-ed gears. I believe those two side-by side gears are hollow in the space where they face each other.

Of course, I'm not certain....

DeathBlade said:
Thanks! I have a place to start googling
From closer inspection I dont think it would be able to take the RPM I want to put through it :(
Now to find a real 30:1 planetary.........

A similar idea for high reduction gearing, but with better high rpm capabilities are harmonic drives. They are used in robotics, eg. the Mitsubishi heavy industries PA 10 robot arm.
Harmonic_drive_animation.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_drive

eliptical teeth. the a pair of inner "gears" 180 degrees out of phase. 1 fewer lobes on the "gears" than on the "ring" even number of teeth on the ring. odd number on the gears. 34 lobes on the ring. yep all the classic signs of a 33:1 cycloidial reduction unit.

it is a CYCLODIAL.

rick

Back