• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Jamming those lipos in !! advice needed

Hi all,

I am doing a new 5000w ebike build and sorting out my battery solution. I have purchase some discounted A spec 4Ah 10s lipo batteries to go inside my bike frame. :lol:

I can pack them in a block of four with the top section of the frame with a further 2 lipo sticks down the bottom. The block of 4 lipo sticks go quite neatly in with about 5 mm wriggle space between the batteries and the enclosed frame.(see picture) Although snugly packed in, the original concern I had was they may be not enough room if the lipo's became puffed due to accidental abuse. Without room to puff it may lead to a puncture due to pressure and who knows what. Let's not go there !

However in my latest research on Endless sphere it seems packing in lipo is actually of benefits so they don't puff due to abuse. Thoughts?

Certainly I will say that they way they are packed in now will not damage them and they are not compressed, however if one cell puffed it would fill the small gap between them and the frame. I do realize there will be slight puffing when in use but that is covered with the current space available so not concern about that.

Clearly the intension is not to over or under discharge them but it probably best to work with a model that assumes this may happen in the batteries lifetime. Been burnt before :p :lol:

Any thought/ help appreciated and please no scare mongering ! Just fact are appreciated.

Well, at some point they will swell. Maybe you will be able to get them back out, maybe not.

If any kind of defect or over discharge does actually puff one, well there you are. You'll never get them back out.

This is not a scare warning, though I do that plenty because I have wrecked some packs and seen how hot they can get even if they don't flame. And I've had to dis assemble battery boxes to get the packs back out of the box. Jammed in is a perfect description once they puff.

Good Point - on the cannot get them out scenario. That could have been funny - In my case they would be stuck in the frame. DOl ! :oops:

Having said that I guess the Lipo will only puff, or expand in one direction. I may be able to stack them to there is more room to expand in width and less in height. But always that risk of getting stuck.

Is is possible to pack them in so they do not puff even if abused ?? - I assume this might be heading for trouble !

Back