Jason's Build

Jason

1 W
So, yeah I started this out around winter of last year when I had ordered my transmagnetic 800Watt motor and had poured my rear pulley with epoxy in a mold I had crafted. Though the initial build worked I wasn't pleased with the pulley being out of round or the low end torque. I also tried out a variable transmission from a pocket bike which was just to inefficient to be feasible. I ended up going with a golden eagle rear pulley and then put it on hold for a bit after my sla's deep cycled and quit wanting to be charged. Anyhow I started the project back up this time trying out an rc motor. I have a brushless outrunner motor(Turnigy sk 380kv 60-65 1800Watt), A turnigy Aerodrive Wattmeter/servo driver, and a Turnigy Sentilon 100A HV ESC. I've also ordered up the thundersky 29 volt 40ah bike kit which should be here in another week or so. My drive train is pretty well completed except for the tensioner spring, but I'm waiting on getting the Speed controller working before I decide on a tension. It's not the prettiest build so far just some aluminum cut out with a jigsaw, some nuts and bolts and some brazing to make the mount. I supported the motor shaft on a seperate bearing that is shown in the pic. Future plans include a fiberglass body to be built around the motor esc and batteries with hopefully a little luggage space along with a shroud in the front to house some crazy bright leds, my speedometer, wattmeter display and I'm even thinking about integrating Turnsignals, brake, and headlight controlls through a microcontroller. Beyond that I'm hoping things begin looking up and I get this speed controller working before the batteries come in.Close up.jpg

Welcome to the forum mate :) Theres a few fellas here using the rc motors now dont know if your aware of it or not? If you check threads started by ' recumpence' you will find some of the best work your likely to see with rc motors and bicycles. Might pick up a few tips/ideas reading through his worklogs too...if nothing else the machinery he has at his disposal will make you druel LoL Best of luck anywayz matey look forward to seeing your build progress :)

Kim

I tried the HXT 63-64-B 230Kv motor. It made too much heat on 48v, but ran cool on 24v and cruised happily at 20mph . I would not expect you to have problems at 29V. Let us know what kind of range you get with the 40ah battery and how your ESC works out. I had though about using the one you are using, but ended up ordering a Castle Creations just because several others were having success with CC. Being new to RC equipment, I was confused about some of the ESC settings and think I just lucked up when it came to the brake setting. It should be set for no braking. I read about one guy that did not do this and it cause the ESC to blow when he tried to coast.

Did you use a lathe to make the hole for the bearing supporting the motor shaft? If not, then how is the bearing held in the hole?

Bubba

The support bearing was an interesting thought. I decided to actually drill out the hole a bit bigger than the bearing with a standard cordless drill. Then I bolted up the plate with motor and fit the bearing onto the motor shaft. From that point I just used some jb weld around the bearing to hold it in place. Because I have no way of making sure things are exactly precise this is the only thing I could come up with. It seems as though it is plenty strong, but of course I wont know till I get the speed controller working correctly and get some miles on it.

I suggest that you check the set screws that hold the bell to the shaft. On both of my Hobby City motor they were loose.

Bubba

Well I made some changes to the motor mount this weekend and also changed the tensioner to a lower position to increase contact on the large pulley. I also desoldered the lcd from my wattmeter/servotester so I can view it at the front of the bike. I still haven't taken my maiden voyage becase the one way bearing I'm using is slipping under torque. I have a new pulley on the way and should be able to test drive it this week.

Attachments

• P1020026.jpg
    P1020026.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 4,416
  • Motor mount.jpg
    Motor mount.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 4,409
  • drive system.jpg
    drive system.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 4,397
When I did my first test ride, I thought things were slipping because the motor was sounding like it was revving up and not pulling. This was a problem with my perception. Everything was working fine. I had to get use to the sound of the high revving motor. It was geared to go less then 20 mph, so I didn't feel any contribution from the motor until over half throttle.

The needle bearings of the on-way clutch I am using run directly on my jack shaft. At first I did not have a harden shaft, so after a short time I could see ridges being created on the shaft. Neither of my Turnigy motors had harden shafts.

Bubba

I took off the pulley tonight and viewed what had actually happened. The internal plastic spacing between the needle rollers had broken in two places. Bubba do the one way bearings you use have plastic spacer inserts? Regardless, the new pulley I ordered should be in tomorrow and I also gained a contact through ordering the pulley http://www.bbman.com/ This place has pretty fair prices, offer custom work and are only a few hours drive from me. In the future I'd like to get rid of the plastic pulley for an aluminum piece, but that'll be once I get out of school and out of this internship pay.

I made a little more headway recently. I'm going to have to wait on building a fiberglass enclosure for my batteries and motor due to a lack of funds, but luckilly I found a suitable luggage bag I recieved a few years back at a Sirius Sattelite radio training. I also cleaned up some of the wiring and created a holder for my batteries under the bag.

Attachments

• Batts and motor.jpg
    Batts and motor.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 4,074
  • Full View.jpg
    Full View.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 4,057
  • Wattmeter.jpg
    Wattmeter.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 4,029
YAY! Then BOO! I got my first ride in this morning and overall I was pretty happy with the performance. First off the pull and speed was rather good. The drive system held up pretty well, I heard one small skip coming from the driven pully under the hardest acceleration. I was really quite surprised at how quickly the motor took me up to speed, which is the interesting part. I had a long way to go in motor rpms judging by the motors sound and this was at 25ish mph. I couldnt go faster because the sidewalk ended so I turned around and hit the throttle again and my pulley spun on the shaft. Though I had the set screws threadlocked I'm probably going to have to add some loctite 660 for helping to lock the shaft.

Where did you find the thundersky bike kit? And how much?

Thanks, I love options.

58v 20Ah $613.00 is Ping competition, although there have been some negative reports about thundersky batteries. Hope to see some review here about their performance.

Update... I enjoyed a bit of time with my new set up, but am now in need of a new motor and have a new frame to put this on. Firstly the Turnigy sk380kv was a decent little motor, just a little small for my liking. I was surprised it was able to pull me around up into the 35ish mph area, but it couldnt quite handle the power I was putting through it. I had been relatively light on the throttle for a while and then one day decided to give it all my esc had... this resulted in what I believe to be a winding moving and locking the rotor which instantly shot the amps up and caused a good amount of smoke to come from the motor.

To my surprise the only thing injured in that event was my motor. The Castle HV85A took it just fine which is crazy because before the rotor locked on my motor the last I saw I was pulling over 75 amps of current.

I have been waiting to find a steal on a full suspension downhill frame for sometime and I finally found it on Ebay. The Haro extreme arrived at my door yesterday and my girlfriend has been upset ever since. She claims that I stare at it more often than her... I've included some photos on the new frame and will post more as I get the bike build done and start making a new drive system for it. While I was taking my photos my dog decided she wanted to show everyone a trick... Maybe she was coaxed by suspect A as seen in the upper left hand of the photo.

Attachments

• New Frame.jpg
    New Frame.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 3,153
  • Sitting pretty.jpg
    Sitting pretty.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 3,150
Ok so I'm back on the build again and the Haro X3 is now taking shape. I've finished building the bike, every component on the bike should be quite durable. I'm using Shimano Saint 8in rotors/calipers, hubs, shifters, levers and deraileur. The motor I decided on going with is the hyperion 5025 motor, it's a well crafted motor for $115 and even includes a skirt bearing. I went with the custom White Freewheel http://sickbikeparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=62. The setup is a cyclone style with motor mounted on the under side of frame with a planetary gear drive. The planetary gear drive is 13.5/1. The next reduction comes from the planetary to chain ring which will be 16 to 44, and then from 44 to a 26. Total gear reduction should be 62/1. The motor is 235 rpm/v and will be run off of my 27v Thundersky battery pack. At the crank max theoretical RPM would be 170, but after losses and load should be more like 140. That's all the info I have for now, I should be attaching motor and trans this weekend so should have some pics up soon!

Hi Jason,

i just caught up with your thread (the joy of weekend work ;p )
looking good, the haro frame is nice, should beat the snot out of your first bike for comfort :)
So did you ditch the direct drive and now your going to power the chainring cyclone style?
Looking forward to the build pictures, this should be a really nice build, best of luck 8)

Cheers,

D

Hi Jason,

Jason said:
The setup is a cyclone style with motor mounted on the under side of frame with a planetary gear drive. The planetary gear drive is 13.5/1.

Would you provide some more info on the planetary gear drive?

Thanks!

Mitch

The planetary gear box was purchased From Andy Mark a robot specialty store from Indiana which happens to be close to me. http://andymark.biz/am-0270.html . I didn't get all of the work done that I wanted to due to having a coil spring break on my focus so most of the day yesterday I was replacing the suspension on my car. This morning I got up and cut some aluminum for part of the motor mount. I will be adding some more aluminum to the mount for further stiffening as soon as I get a chance. Everything is lining up pretty well and it shouldnt take all that long to get things going from here.
Overview.jpg
Motor + Mount.jpg
Right Side.jpg

Back