• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

jerky throttle

beoutside

10 W
I have changed controllers and throttle on my yuba mundo electric assit build. I am running a twist throttle , Lyen Controller, and BMC V3 hub. I only have the twist grip throttle connected to the controller and a three speed switch , nothing else. On my new set up it seems the throttle is constantly cutting in and out as I pedal, unless I am running full throttle in which I can't pedal anyways. I realize this controller is programmable and wondering what other people have used as perimeters to get a smooth throttle on all three speed setting while pedaling as well. Thanks . Also would add ons help? A bottom bracket pedal monitor? Cycle analyst ? Thanks ! -

Mine seems to work good with a halftwist (or shorter) throttle. I can't imagine trying to moderate speed with any precision using a full twist. For next time, I have a full twist cut down by more than 2/3rds to try- just the very inside of hand is in contact.

That's about all you can ask for on speed throttles, except for the 3spd switch, which helps for slower speed control imo.

If that doesn't address your problem, but it's as I assume- just the standard speed throttle issue, the CA3 (maybe ca2.3 too) has the ability to moderate power instead of speed, which is more like an ice vehicle.

I have a CV3 coming and a usb cord to program the controllers three speed switch . thanks for the input. Donny

I just received my CA v3 and have some questions regarding programming. The controller I purchased from Lyen has a plug in for the CA but the throttle and three speed switch would need to have the plugs changed out.
DO you recommend changing those so the throttle and three speed switch to run run through the CA or leave them connected to the controller?
Also I am running a 48 V 1000 W hub with 18650 54.8 V 15 ah battery. This is on a cargo bike I use to shuttle our two kids around while I pedal assist.
I could really use some advice on setting up all the parameters to get the smoothest safest ride. Thanks .
I built the frame up with mountain bike gearing.
Thanks Donny

The main culprit causing your jerky throttle response is having the phase current limit set too high along with current ramp up time too short.

Thanks John, I'll program the controller accordingly while I am waiting for the connector ends to come so I can run both the three speed switch and throttle through the CA, Appreciate the tip, and knowledge.

Using a 3 speed switch can help, but it's just no convenient to remember. I had a controller with no ability to adjust throttle that I juiced up to 30kw max input. It had an incredibly touchy throttle, so unless I was all out riding I used the 3 speed with one set at 100% and the other 2 at 50%. Those 2 lower settings limited the max voltage from the throttle by half (at least in the view of the controller), and that say 0-2.5V was spread over the range of throttle twist. That made starting much safer, though the instantanteous current ramp up that wasn't adjustable still would flip the bike if I jammed the throttle at all even with the smaller range of voltage.

Thanks R3
It did once I set the speeds a little higher, I can easily pedal 12 to 15 mph and it was just causing my motor to cut in and out as I surpassed the settings . Once I set the top speeds more accordingly for each switch setting 1,2,and 3. 1 in town, 2 on the bike path, three I'm late. It took away all the jerky or rather cutting in and out of the motor.
Any tips on diagnosing my latest problem? see yuba mundo died mid ride post .

Back