Joby Motors Santa Cruz, CA

johnrobholmes said:
I am very excited to see such masterpieces of engineering here in the states. With a simple shroud any of their motors could be perfect ebike powering machines.

Yep.

Yet, oddly, every bike/scooter etc they had at Joby used a hobbyking BLDC outrunner as it's drive system.

If the motor is already available and CHEEP, why reinvent one until money is waived at you?

I wonder how large in diameter a Joby motor would need to be to produce 3hp at 44v and something like 2000 rpm. Something that would only need 3:1 geardown on a bike.

After seeing those phot's of the motors.....I think I am in love....simple, clean, nearly perfect.
Time to really sell a kidney!

Those motors DO look good.

A quick comparison of JM1S with the Astro 3220 (please correct me if I made a mistake) - same weight, double the power, double the volume, 2.5x the torque, 30% increase in price

Code:
                            Joby JM1S   Astro 3220
RPM (Nominal)                    6,000        7,500  RPM
RPM (Maximum)                    9,000       12,000  RPM
Torque (Continuous)                 13          5.3  N-m
Torque (Peak)                       20          7.1  N-m
Power (Continuous @ nominal RPM)   8.2          4.2  kW
Power (Peak @ nominal RPM)        12.6          6.0  kW
Poles                               22            8
Diameter                           154           81  mm
Height	                          53.1          86  mm
Mass                              1800         1814  grams
Volume                             989          448  cc
Price                           899.00       695.50  $US

@ Luke: do you think the can fit Halls?

Yes, it could easily fit halls.

Keep in mind, these power numbers are for a motor with a propeller blowing on it.

Very very impressive :D

Do you have any pics of the dual bearing configuration? Do you think these motors would need an outboard bearing or could we simply just bolt a sprocket on the rotor? Do they shield the motors from debris or just run it open?

I wonder if Makani Power over in Alameda is also designing their own motors. I know they already have a in-house high voltage controller...I doubt they will be as open as JoeBen

Astros can be spun up to 30k without fear. 12k is taking it pretty easy on them. I wonder how fast a JM1S could spin? They obviously do a damn good job for them to hit 9k without flying apart.

Hillhater said:
I would be more interested in the low KV (19) versions. (850 rpm @ 44v !)
Think how much gearing reduction you could ovoid using ! :p

Remember, the power you get from a given motor size is directly proportional to how fast you spin it.

Take a given size motor, spin it to 1000rpm, get 1hp, take the same motor, spin it to 5000rpm, get 5hp.

liveforphysics said:
Remember, the power you get from a given motor size is directly proportional to how fast you spin it. .

Yes understood & agreed, ..
..however,..if you guys can get a 300rpm hub motor to give 3-5 kW, and if i was only looking for 2 - 3 kW from a non hub drive, then there has to be a lot of scope for one of these low kV motors to drive via the BBracket or direct to hub, with only a single stage reduction. Stokemonkey style ?? :|

:?: doesnt low kV imply higher torque ?? .( for any given voltage)

Hillhater said:
Miles said:
Hillhater said:
:?: doesnt low kV imply higher torque ?? .( for any given voltage)
I'm afraid not........

Ahh, yes ...its higher torque for the same current on a low Kv motor ?

If the copper fill is the same, the KV is irrelevant, being a 1/2 turn motor or a 100 turn motor makes no difference, the continuous torque output is identical if the copper fill is identical.

Put another way:

Any winding, with equal copper fill, will generate the same amount of heat for a given torque.

justin_le said:
If the myth continues that the slower speed motor winding leads to a higher torque motor, then ARRG I will want to roll in a grave
:)

liveforphysics said:
If the copper fill is the same, the KV is irrelevant,...

So what is missing from this formula..
Nm = 9.549 * Watts / rpm.

such that Nm = 9.549 *A * Volts/Kv *Volts ...
or .. Nm = 9.549 *A/kV
or... Nm is inversley proportional to Kv (at any given current) ???

Say your hub does 100Nm of torque at 10amps, and it's a 4 turn. I^2(R) determines the copper loss heating. In this case, heating would be 100R

You re-wind it to be a 2 turn, now you apply 20amps to get the same 100Nm of torque, but R dropped to 1/4th, so I^2(R) still works out to be 100R.

You re-wind it to be an 8turn, now you apply 5amps to get the same 100Nm of torque, but R increased by 4x, so I^2(R) still works out to be 100R.

etc etc.

The heating is identical for any motor wind combination to produce a given torque value is the copper fill percentage is the same. This means the continuous torque of a motor is unrelated to the motor wind.

What if we consider a controller with a fixed phase amp limit? I know people would adjust it to suit the voltage and motor in the real world, but how would it affect the different winds?

johnrobholmes said:
What if we consider a controller with a fixed phase amp limit? I know people would adjust it to suit the voltage and motor in the real world, but how would it affect the different winds?

For the same battery current x voltage in (power), it will make no difference.
The lower turn count motors simply get lower FET duty cycles, and hence greater batter current multiplication. (or if its too low of a turn motor, your controller turns to plasma trying to make it have the same torque)

If you have a controller that can actually see phase currents, like a Kelly or Sevcon, then you can pick the wrong controller/voltage combo for your application, and end up not being able to realize the motors full torque potential.

johnrobholmes said:
Astros can be spun up to 30k without fear. 12k is taking it pretty easy on them.
I'm an engineer not salesman, John :wink:

Point taken. Don't get me wrong: Astros are the benchmark and I like their simplicity and the inherent seal.

If the copper fill is the same, the KV is irrelevant, being a 1/2 turn motor or a 100 turn motor makes no difference, the continuous torque output is identical if the copper fill is identical.

For typical iron core motors, is this true only if the rotor is locked?

I get the point...F=BxLI, so if you double the number of turns (double the length of copper wire) you only need half the current for the same force

flathill said:
I get the point...F=BxLI, so if you double the number of turns (double the length of copper wire) you only need half the current for the same force

don't feel too bad, ur in good company.
been trying to pin down the source of this common misconception, whereby juggling the # of turns in a coil but maintaining the coils same physical size supposedly gains u something4nothing.
i think it was this guy who also got it wrong falling into the same trap that got the snowball rolling with the wild claim of a massive increase in energy storage.

(still tracking down why a circle is divided into 360 equal parts, i'm almost there)

Nicky T. said:
Figure 1 is a diagram of a coil wound in the ordinary manner. Fig. 2 is a diagram of a winding designed to secure the objects of my invention.

Let Fig. 1, designate any given coil the spires or convolutions of which are wound upon and insulated from each other. Let it be assumed that the terminals of this coil show a potential difference of one hundred volts, and that there are one thousand convolutions: then considering any two contiguous points on adjacent convolutions let it be assumed that there will exist between them a potential difference of one-tenth of a volt. If now, as shown in Fig. 2, a conductor B be wound parallel with the conductor A and insulated from it, and the end of A be connected with the starting point of B, the aggregate length of the two conductor being such that the assumed number of convolutions or turns is the same, vis, one thousand, then the potential difference between any to adjacent points in A and B will be fifty volts, and as the capacity effect is proportionate to the square of this difference, the energy stored in the coil as a whole will now be two hundred and fifty thousand as great.
koil.gif

Toorbough: Please clarify how the Tesla bifilar coil is relevant? Are you pointing out we are not taking into account parasitic parameters?

The Lorentz force law is fundamental to how most electric motors work.

what i'm pointing out is the underlined part.
the seductive trap that's in the same vein as thinking a lower Kv produces more torque.
that somehow it's possible to get free energy by simply repositioning a few wires.
lorentz proves that it can't be so.

The larger Diameter, higher torque, lower RPM, smaller width, 10.5Kw JM2S model is now available for sale from the Joby webstore
https://www.jobyrobotics.com/category.php?id_category=6

51-151-large.jpg

Back