Kayaking & Fishing

Kingfish

100 MW
Redmond, WA-USA, Earth, Sol, Orion–Cygnus Arm, Mil
This thread is related to my physical exam I had last month.

I was tooling around Redmond Town Center (the “new” center of town built on top of an old golf course) and bobbed into REI for a wander… mainly to peruse the selection, maybe purchase a summer shirt suitable for camping – when I came upon a display of kayaks. 8)

There were all sorts – but the thing that impressed me the most was how little they weighed when compared to wood rowers that I had been considering which were averaging 100 lbs. or more, and granted they had sails and such, but I kinda had that in mind until today.

REI has a sale on right now until the end of the month. Looking that the prices, I could easily afford a small kayak. There’s a couple I had considered:

• 19b0723e-655f-45fe-b556-7d74c61ba283.jpg
  • Emotion Kayaks Comet 8’ for $299. Dead simple beginners kayak made of polyethylene and weighs 39 lbs. I’d have to craft a custom trailer to fit the ebike.

6957119d-9ba4-4409-a8c3-6a68597bda0f.jpg
  • Advanced Elements AdvancedFrame Sport Kayak 10.5’ for $440. This inflatable weighs 26 lbs. Needs a stiffener for rough water ($76) and a double-action pump ($28). Reviewers love it and say they can inflate/deflate in under 10 minutes. This unit could fit inside my current cross-country trailer.

To be fair, I went back to Chesapeake Light Craft to find an equivalent and found the Wood Duck 10’ model that weighs about 36 lbs. The cheapest complete kit is $849.

DUCK_DSCF3597.jpg

If I went with the Advanced Elements inflatable with all the doodads + a good quality PFD ($94) + a high-quality CF paddle (on sale for $199), the total is $838… $11 less than the Wood Duck – which would have to be built.

I talked with the REI rep and she said I didn’t have to license the boat. So now I’m thinking about fishing for my dinner. Turns out that Lake Sammamish is loaded with fish during the summer! I’m on another hunt to find information about fishing – cos I gotta be straight and tell you I was never that much into it. My Dad was a fisherman but we hardly ever went (my folks divorced when I was a squirt so we didn’t spent a lot of time together). The only pole I had was from a 1986 backpacking trip – and I don’t think it’s around anymore.

Searching the web, local fishermen say they have better luck with worms over spinners. If I walked into Sports Authority – what should I be looking to spend on a decent setup not costing my eye-teeth?

Been a long time since I fished, but now I’m thinking this could be a nice relaxing way to spend a summer vacationing a few minutes from my hidden urban bat cave in the side of the hill.

So – a little joke before I go:
What do you call a fish with no eye? :wink:

Is anyone else geeked over kayaks?

<snicker> KF
EDIT: Fixed broken link

My friend has two of those shorter river kayaks, and I have two longer plastic ones from Costco. What we found is that the short kayaks are more maneuverable, but the long ones are easier to paddle straight. So from my experience, I would recommend one of the 10' models for fishing in a lake.

Spoons and spinners in red or green. A quarter ounce is a good size. You can cast or troll those for local planter trout.
I like to use 4 pound line with a spinning rod. Fishing from a kyak a shorter rod will make for easier netting of your catch. Learn to identify what you are fishing for.

This can be another addiction.

If you want to fish, look into getting a fishing kayak. Most anglers prefer a sit-on-top kayak, which is easier to rig for fishing and to fish from.

Look at Craigslist. You can get a decent used boat for the prices you're quoting.

Im in the same boat (pun intended) I've been shopping for a kayak for some time now. IMO craigs list sucks for kayaks as most people want way too much for some crappy old beat up kayak.
I went to bi-mart the other day and they had a 9'8" kayak for $229, I'm thinking about going back and getting 2 of them if I can ever get a day off from my job.
good luck finding a kayak!

They even stock kyaks in my local Walmart now. Shop around other places than REI, you don't need top of the line to paddle a lake.

Mine was about $250 a few years back, plus we bought a couple paddles so $300 all in. Prices even lower now, by about $50. We got the shorter entry model sit on top. No need to learn an eskimo roll for our needs, floating a river that's been channeled into an irrigation ditch. This year they are flushing the toilet to make the river run for 4 weeks, whoo hooo! We have been going out every weekend while it lasts.

Anyway, the sit on top version has it's virtues, It has drain holes in the bottom, so you never ever have to bail it. It's still very stable, but more comfy than the sit inside boats. I wouldn't hesitate to do pussy white water in it, like a 2' drop over a structure intended to back up some water for a diversion.

You DO NOT need a $200 paddle. $40 tops for a decent flat blade aluminum shaft paddle. No need to get fancy blades. A good pfd will be worth it, but it need not be top of the line neoprene. Just make sure it's a comfy design for your body, cut so it doesn't ride up into your face in a sitting position.

They do have much nicer fishermans versions with dry storage. Mine just has a trunk area behind the seat. A couple ziplocks inside a soft cooler is all you need to keep your stash dry, car keys, phone, etc.

This is the one we have.
http://www.pelicansport.com/index.php?language=en&category=kayaks&nauticalboat=KOF10P100

They have some neat looking smaller ones, but you need capacity to be at least your weight. The higher you ride, the more stable.

Trailer it like they do larger windsurfboards. The trailer is basicly just two dolly or lawnmower wheels, and a long stick for the trailer. Strap it on, then attach to the bike.

I have enjoyed inflatable kayaks over the hard kayaks because of how easy they are to wad into your trunk, wad into a corner in your garage and carry around. There are quite a few great kayaking spots that aren't close to where you park your car, and tossing your kayak over your shoulder is a great option.

I like to run rivers and find myself in situations where I have to carry my kayak past down river to get past an obstacle. I have a way easier time with the inflatable than the hard kayak whenever this circumstance comes around.

Dogman, your comments are greatly appreciated, although I will probably go the inflatable route using the AE Sporty model cos I can place it onto my existing trailer without major trailer mods or reinvention. Went back to REI yesterday and they had a tandem model bagged up where I was able to inspect the unit for the physicality of its' nature; it will fit right on top the "P2" trailer and I'm optimistic it can be sorted :wink:

I will have to make a change to the ebike though to make trailering more convenient and eliminate the problem with the wandering axle - but that's another project OT; it needs to be done to make it much more practical and I will detail those creative innovations in a bit.

Swear to gawd - I can't recall being this excited about a change to my ebike since my road trip in 2011; it just seems like the perfect e-marriage with huge potential :D

Thank you for the contributions!
Very jazzed, KF 8)

I have had several of the 17' two person folding kyaks, Folboat brand name in the USA. Still have one, all dusty in the garage. They really shine when the wind kicks up the big waves on a lake, and people in Grumman aluminum canoes are dead meat. I homemade quite a few of the smaller one man versions that did not fold. I just made them 8' long, to drop into a pickup truck bed perfect. But of all the various contraptions I've paddled, I found the current pelican the most comfy on the water, without weighing what a folboat does. Even in my diminished physical condition, I load that pelican on the roof of the Subaru with ease.

I have not seen good inflatable kyacks, I've just seen the toy ones made from thin vynil that clearly don't belong where huge thorned mesquites line the river bank. We've done lots of inflatables, and learned to shy away from anything easily punctured. We had a 16 man navy life raft that was great. Realy thick goodyear rubber that never got more than a pinhole for years.

For carrying more than 2-3 miles, the inflatable definitely sounds like the way to go. Just avoid ones that are too inexpensive to be good, the ones obviously toys with thin skin.

Thorns: Noted; good advice! For us it’s blackberries here.

The sale at REI ends today; don’t mean to harp on it – but there’s a price advantage with being a member that reduces it lower than I can find anywhere else + another 15% off if I snag accessories with it. I changed my thoughts on the AE Sporty and will go with the heavier full-up version because it can also handle open water – whereas the Sporty model cannot, and is lighter-duty and wider. The paddle can get pretty long to overcome the width and for my diminutive size it starts to weigh in.

2f31e528-a011-411f-85af-241424c86e03.jpg

Advanced Elements AdvancedFrame Kayak

Found this FAQ to be pretty helpful as well.

I’ll waddle over later today and place the order; it’s all out of stock at my local but for the amount I’m spending – shipping is free.
Soon to be web-footed, KF

OPB here in oregon ran a short on some people who use kayaks to get outside the surf to fish along the rocks just offshore.

how do you haul it? gonna have to break down and drive your truck.

dnmun said:
how do you haul it? gonna have to break down and drive your truck.

P1&P2-0.jpg

Easy: Remember this? :mrgreen:

The kayak is inflatable and folds up into a 30 x 17 x 10 inch duffle bag. The trailer cover may not fit well, although there's plenty of room inside for hauling all the boat's gear and fishing tackle.

Placed the order with REI about 1 PM. Was a slow process at the store; I would have been better off to do it myself online. Except for the paddle - everything is backordered - though at least shipping to my urban bat cave was free. Glad I didn't have to haul the boat home! The paddle breaks down into two, and I slung the length of the top tube and used the Blinkies power cable to lasso it to the seat tube... and still had use of the blinkies :wink: Didn't much like driving with only one hand; at least I didn't have to go more than a couple of miles.

After I snagged lunch I went on the hunt for the boat ramp on Lake-Samm that I spotted on google maps; that ended up being a bust cos it's a private beach. They weren't snooty about it per se, but not terribly nice either. Glad I checked it out. Decided to wander a bit farther south along the east side of the lake and came across a gaggle of cars parked on both sides of the road which could only mean one of two things: A kegger or a public beach! :twisted: T'was the latter: No ramp - but it is a public city park called Sammamish Landing; without fees and a nice grassy lawn all the way to the lake. It's tight, but I know I can get my trailer in there and get set up, inflated, and drag or carry it 100 feet to the bank. Quite acceptable accommodations; see pic below...

SML-docks.jpg

Looks peaceful here, but it was actually quite busy and really greened-out and very bright under the summer sun. And it's only 2.5 miles away from my conspiring castle in the forest. I saw a lot of motorboats on the lake and the waves looked to be about a foot tall; tame compared to Lake-WA.

Such a warm day, I decided to mosey on down the road in search of shady canopy and made a circuitous route home via Ames Lake and Snoqualmie River Valley. Along the way I spotted what looked like a large fishing hole where the rivers' created an oxbow; lots of folks there - but a person would have to advance onto it from the other side of the river. Still - it's an idea in the making.

Funny how I never noticed lakes and ponds before this week.
On to new horizons, KF

http://www.wenonah.com/products/template/product_detail.php?IID=213

I bought that canoe this year. I have 2 other canoes & 2 kayaks. The kayak's I enjoyed , but when going down streams that get pretty shallow in the summer
it's a pita to get out/in all the time so a canoe with a rudder was the next best thing for me.

Really enjoy it. It's so easy to get away from people and have space to yourself when using self propelled crafts.

You live where having a kyak should be mandatory. Lucky you all that water. I went out again in mine yesterday, trying to get a weekend run down the river while it lasts. Turns out, instead of 6 weeks of flowing river, they are turning it off today. By next weekend, back to normal. hundreds of miles of dry sand riverbed, till you get to south Texas, after a river from mexico joins the Rio Grande.

4 weeks of water this year. Back before the drought, climate change double whammy, the river was turned on for 8-9 months of the year, and even when off, some flow was still let down all winter. Now all we have is sand 11 months of the year. We should stage a huge off road race down the river.

Wow - I can't believe it: I just received the last of the backordered items from REI before the 4th of Julie! :D

Wasn't supposed to be here until mid-month. Touché to them!

Now if only I had the trailer mods ready... :twisted:

Well, the swimming pool is only 200 feet away...

Conspiring a happy 4th, KF

glad to hear your almost there, I picked up a pair of kayaks today from dick's sporting goods for only $160 each and they weigh only 26 pounds. deal of the year. I wanted something my GF and I could carry across the street to the lake.
good luck with your trailer mods and post some pics when your afloat :)
kayak1.jpg

Back