Kelly KBS DirectPlug with CA 3

notger

100 W
Hi,

I cannot really find a clear tutorial how to make a kelly KBS controller Direct Plug with the CA3.
Does anyone know if this is actually possible?

greets

Gernot

notger said:
Hi,

I cannot really find a clear tutorial how to make a kelly KBS controller Direct Plug with the CA3.
Does anyone know if this is actually possible?

greets

Gernot
https://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62809

hi,

thanks i read that, but the kelly kbs has no obvious Shunt.

At least there is no big naked wire like in most controller sticking out?
Any ideas where else to find or how else a shunt can look like?

greets

Gernot

notger said:
hi,

thanks i read that, but the kelly kbs has no obvious Shunt.

At least there is no big naked wire like in most controller sticking out?
Any ideas where else to find or how else a shunt can look like?

greets

Gernot

I suggest sending an e-mail to Kelly asking for shunt positive and negative locations. Maybe you can take a few pictures should they inform you(they should) to share your finding. I don't think one can easily say there is a 'rule of thumb' on what shunt locations look like, it'll probably vary plenty depending on the manufacturer, this is at least what I have observed. I don't know how to locate the shunt locations, maybe it involves connecting a watt meter to some probes and hunting around various points on the PCB while it's driving a motor? I imagine you might gain some false positives this way, but I could be wrong.

bowlofsalad said:
I suggest sending an e-mail to Kelly asking for shunt positive and negative locations. Maybe you can take a few pictures should they inform you(they should) to share your finding. I don't think one can easily say there is a 'rule of thumb' on what shunt locations look like, it'll probably vary plenty depending on the manufacturer, this is at least what I have observed. I don't know how to locate the shunt locations, maybe it involves connecting a watt meter to some probes and hunting around various points on the PCB while it's driving a motor? I imagine you might gain some false positives this way, but I could be wrong.

Hi,

I contacted Kelly and they answerd quite plain

Fany from Kelly said:
Sorry,we don't plan to add shunt on PCB board.
If you want to do it by yourself,our shunt is located on B- line.

I opened one of my KBS (Not the KBSX) controller and to my suprise they are quite different inside to my KBSX
But i anyway would like to add the shunt connection for the CA direct plug on both.
The upper side of the PCB is covered in black waterseal-stuff.
but the shunt might be on the backside.

can anyone guess what trace on the PCB could be the shunt??
or, how could i measure what's the shunt?

greets and thanks

Gernot

Attachments

• PB130083_small.JPG
    PB130083_small.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 881
@notger (if only i could read from right to left)

there is no shunt. you need to connect the controller to an external shunt in the GND line. quite easy to acchieve. then connect pin3 and pin4 of the CA connector to the coming and going end of the shunt.
you can buy an ready to use solution from ebikes.ca or build on yourself.

you may also want to check my thread from today: http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64736

hi, thanks

Ok, you mean kelly measures the current somehow else , but not via shunt? right

I allready did some further research and I think ill use a external shunt like this

http://at.farnell.com/vishay-dale/wsms2906l5000jk/widerstand-meter-shunt-r0005-5/dp/1858304
or this
http://at.farnell.com/vishay-dale/wsms2908l5000jk/widerstand-meter-shunt-r0005-5/dp/1858301

cause the original CA shunt doesn't fit quite to my setup, and the big ones CA offers are way too big.
(I will never set the controller to more than 80A at least I guess so, but who know what the future brings !!)

with those shunts i could choose 100,250,300,430 or 500µohm does that matter in any way ? or what would you take?

gernot

the controllers i used all have shunts in the range around 1-3mohm. so i would go with a value that size.
the second link is 0.5mohm. so i guess it will be ok as well - it almost depends on the values you can input to the CA setup. i don't think that it will be an issue. you just need to check if the value is above or below 0.763mohm as you have to setup the CA differently.
a bigger shunt's value will not heat up as much at higher amps.

Back