Kelly KLS Precharge

Nef

10 µW
Hello,

I have this system Cycle Analyst V3, Mxus 3k V3 Motor, KLS7218S Controller and a 72V 26,1 AH battery for the wiring i used this picture from teklektik the differences i use KLS not KLB from Kelly i use this Shunt and i dont have a switch and a Main contaktor. This is because i have the battery in my backpack so in my logic plug in (Plus and Minus) to the external Shunt is On and plug out is Off. To protect my equipment i have build in a 110 A Fuse in the Plus wire and i use a Pre Charge Resistor. I ordered Anti spark XT90 connectors because its the perfect solution only 1 connector plug it in half the way Minus is connected and Plus over the Precharge Resistor wait a few seconds and plug it in all the way and Plus is connected normal. But sadly is the Resistor is only 5.6 Ohm and i cant find connectors like this with more Ohm some here say thay use it on 72 V with no problems some say that will fail sooner or later. To be on the safe side i choose to use the 1.000 Ohm resistor from Kelly and use Xt150 conecctors on Plus and Minus. Now i have to connect Minus than the Precharge Resistor over the not Connectet Plus Xt150 Connector wait 2 Minutes because i dont now how long it takes to precharge with 1.000 Ohm and than connect the Plus Xt150 Connector. And that is not a good solution if you have the battery in your backpack because you have the disconnect and connect often. But the reason why i ask is that im not 100% sure that the controller is going to precharge because to Led´s on the Controller are not on the only thing is that the Cycle Analyst display gets brighter and starts to blink and the Precharge Resistor gets really hot. And now i afraid to plug in the Plus connector after the Precharge so how can i now that the Controller is Precharged and is it normal that the Led´s are off during the precharge ?

Thank you for your help and sorry for my bad english if you dont understand what i mean just ask and i try to explain it.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=75048&p=1133371#p1133371

That is how i used to do it.

The problem on your setup is that you have the Controller and Cycle analyst on.
Turn them off while precharging, and after 20 Seconds you will be able to connect B+ without any sparks.

So the problem is that the Controller and Cycle Analyst are on ? I thought in that direction because i read its a 1.000 kOhm 10 Watt Precharge Resistor and if the Controller and CA need only 5 Watts each there is no energy left to charge the capacitors ? I try it without the CA in the hope that than the controller gets the energy over (7) PWR: Controller power supply (input) . I soldered that with a small connector on the Red B+ From the Controller so every time i plug in the Battery the Controller is on. I can dissconnect that PWR wire while precharging thats not the Problem but i thought if the Led´s are on i can be sure the Controller is precharging or is it normal that they are only on if you connect B+ and B- ?

I read about some guys using lightbulbs as Prechagre Resistors so thay see that the capacitors are full when the light goes out but i dont have lightbulbs that i can use on 72V DC.

And if i take a Precharge Resistor with less Ohm (Jeti Connector with 36 Ohm) i dont need to disconnect the Controller and CA eyery time because enough energy can flow to power the Controller the CA and the precharging ?

Im just afraid that the Precharge dosnt work and i plug in B+ and damage the Controller :roll:

The only thing that gets damaged if you don't precharge is the xt150 plugs. The capacitors don't break instantly. I didn't precharge at least 20 times on an older KBS Controller, the only thing that broke was the EC5 bullet Connector.

I have a few Kellys and you can't precharge them with the pin 7. Even if it would work the Controller empties the Caps in a few seconds when powered on via the pin7.

Just turn off the CA and the Controller and the resistor wont get hot, you'll see. Unless you got B+ and B- connected wrong (happened to me once, Controller didn't die luckily)

Also, you can use a 12v light bulb. I used a 5W one from my old motorcycle blinker bulb, and it worked just fine.

Thank you for your help i tried it and it is working more bad than good but nothing is broken and im happy about that :D I disconnected Pin 7 (PWR) and the Ca than i connected B- and the Precharge Resistor and you were right it didnt get hot. So i decide to connect B+ and perfect i cant hear a spark than i connect Pin 7 and surprised i get a spark how when B+ and B- are connected ?

The next Problem is i apply the throttle and not suprised the Weel spin a little bit and stops :x . I read about it and i should be a problem with the right combination of the hall sensor and Phase wires. In this German Forum i read how to connect Kelly KBS with Nine Continent or Xin Feng MXUS(=Elfkw) (Controller colour on the left) on both Hall Sensor and Phase Wires Yellow to Green, Green to Yellow and Blue with Blue. But it dosnt work mayby thay change it in the last years because the Information are from 2014. But i cant find the right combination to connect Kelly Kls with Mxus 3K V3 :?

And you can use a 12 V light bulb from a Car on a 72 V System ? I thought the light bulb will burn out but you learn something new every day.

thanks a lot

Aha ein Deutscher! :D

Yes,the pin7 has a little spark but it is nothing to worry about.

Now, I hope you bought the bluetooth module also?

If not, then at least you got the default pc programming cable. you have to connect it to the pc, download the KLS software and type 170 in the identify angle field. After that do a restart and it should start identifying for like 15 seconds, after that you should be good to go.

Also, you have to connect the light bulb in series like a resistor, otherwise the bulb will burn out.

Aha jemand aus Österreich wie klein die Welt b.z.w das Internet doch manchmal ist :D

If the spark on Pin 7 is normal i can live with that i think i build a switch in the wire so its easy to turn the Controller on and off and as a long time solution i hope i find a connector like the XT 90 Antispark with more Ohm its the best souloution if you need to disconnect often what i have to with a Backpack Battery System. I read the best range for the larger Kelly Controllers is between 30-100 Ohm (You dont have to wait long and on the other hand the controller has enought time to charge the capacitors) but the more i read the more i recognize the opinions go far apart in this topic.

I bought a RS232 to USB Adapter so i can use my Laptop as a next step i want to do this but i didnt know that the Controller can Identify each Phase and Hall Sensor thats probably the reason why i cant find the right combination because its not necessary.

Anyway Thanks a lot

:mrgreen:

A kelly support guy told me that it is recommended to do the auto Identify procedure even if you find a combination that seems to work.
I'm not sure if that actually makes a difference, but I never bothered to try either, so whatever.

Back