King County planning 200 charging stations for electric vehi

dnmun

1 PW
from the seattlepi.com website:

http://www.seattlepi.com/transportation/417751_stations2.html

King County planning 200 charging stations for electric vehicles
By SCOTT GUTIERREZ
SEATTLEPI.COM STAFF

With a wave of new all-electric vehicles soon to hit the market, King County is planning to install up to 200 public charging stations at transit park-and-rides, vanpool sites and motorpool lots.

A proposal making its way through the King County Council would set up a three-year pilot program, mostly funded through federal grants, that would allow drivers to plug in before hopping on the bus or vanpool. Charging stations installed at county parking lots and motor pools would be open to the public when county vehicles aren't using them.

King County has 29 slow-charging stations installed on county-owned properties, including park-and-rides in Bellevue, Eastgate, Issaquah and Redmond as part of a Plug-and-Ride program launched a few years ago. Drivers reserve the park-and-ride stations and only a few people use them.

But that could change as auto companies unveil newer electric and hybrid models this year and next. Also, Seattle was chosen as one of five test sites for an early look at Nissan's all-electric Leaf, which will roll out in December along with a massive deployment of electric charging stations under The EV Project. The project, supported by a $99 million federal stimulus grant, will supply data from chargers installed at public locations and in homes of people who purchase a Nissan Leaf to a study of electric infrastructure.

Also expected to soon hit the market is the Chevrolet Volt, which can run 40 miles on a charge before its engine needs to kick in.

County Council member Larry Phillips said the county wants to remain a leader in reducing greenhouse gases and use of the internal combustion engine, he said during a recent committee hearing on the legislation. The plan must still be approved by the full county council.

Planners with the county, Seattle, utilities and regional planning agencies are working on a blueprint for a budding electric vehicle infrastructure.

While King County is a partner in The EV Project, this most recent program would rely on federal grant money, some from a $15 million grant awarded to the Puget Sound Clean Cities Association to develop electric vehicle infrastructure. Under legislation before the King County Council, the county's Transportation Department would be authorized to invest up up to $500,000 in installing charging stations and upgrading electrical capabilities if not enough grant money comes through.

Right now King County pays for electricity at existing public charging stations, but the amount equals only a few pennies a day.

The pilot program's goal is to recover 50 percent of operating costs during its three years. After that, the county wants to recover all costs through user fees.

A state law passed last year that requires regional transportation planning agencies, such as the Puget Sound Regional Council, to begin developing codes and regulations around electric vehicle infrastructure. A workgroup met for the first time last week, Puget Sound Regional Council spokesman Rick Olson said.

"The legislation was basically designed to get the state better prepared for electric vehicles comprehensively, for people who are going to want to buy electric vehicles and people who will sell them, and the businesses that will grow here," Olson said in an e-mail. "The ordinance work is designed to make a more seamless transition in terms of local regulation and better assure harmony among local permitting and regulation, as opposed to a hodge-podge."

In addition, U.S. Rep. Jay Inslee is seeking a $300,000 federal earmark for a second stage that would focus on a goal of having 10 percent of all parking spaces in King, Pierce and Snohomish Counties EV-ready within the next 10 years.

Scott Gutierrez can be reached at 206-448-8334 or scottgutierrez@seattlepi.com.

Electric bikes are great in combination with buses or trains. They are the perfect solution for getting you to the nearest station and getting you the last couple miles to your destination, without having to find just the right transfer station and wait for the transfer bus.

But I don't get the thought process behind putting charging stations at transit centers. I mean, my current ev goes in a rack on the front of the bus. If I had an electric car, why wouldn't I let my bus pass expire and just drive the thing all the way to work, instead of parking it at the transit center to ride a diesel hybrid bus?

julesa said:
If I had an electric car, why wouldn't I let my bus pass expire and just drive the thing all the way to work, instead of parking it at the transit center to ride a diesel hybrid bus?

Assuming we're taking the viewpoint of a specific subgroup of transit riders...

Downtown parking is pretty expensive?

This is the county I live in :)

You can bet I will be the first guy who makes a opertinity charger to charge my e-bike from these stations. :)

5C charging :)

12mins to bring a dead pack to full. :)

swbluto said:
julesa said:
If I had an electric car, why wouldn't I let my bus pass expire and just drive the thing all the way to work, instead of parking it at the transit center to ride a diesel hybrid bus?

Assuming we're taking the viewpoint of a specific subgroup of transit riders...

Downtown parking is pretty expensive?

Yeah, true, I hadn't thought of that. I guess I could also see signing up for this if I didn't have a garage, or if the transit center was the only good place I had to charge my car.

Back