US Designates Electric Vehicle Charging Corridors

LockH

1 PW
Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then sta
http://www.livescience.com/56744-us-designates-electric-vehicle-charging-corridors.html

The federal government is designating 48 electric vehicle charging corridors along 25,000 miles of major U.S. highways as a way to cut greenhouse gas emissions and make it easier for drivers to switch to electric cars, the White House announced Thursday.

The plan calls for electric vehicle charging stations to be installed at least every 50 miles within the corridors and new government-approved signage to help drivers identify the locations of charging stations along the highway in 35 states.

These folks just don't get "it". With more than half of the world now "urban"... living in crowded spaces... surrounded by AC voltage plugins all around them...Ya wanna encourage electric vehicles? Spend yer money instead on "give away" public sharing bikes and trikes in towns and cities.

The use of large, heavy, expensive vehicles (operator plus lots of empty seats), with tons of (empty) cargo space, designed to go much faster than most urban speed limits... may NOT be the "best" way forward.

[grumble grumble]

I agree. My transportation modalities are my eBike, my bike and my feet, in that order, all local. If I need to go somewhere far, I catch the train. Amtrak is making some nice progress to get bike cars onto every one of their lines. Or catch a bus. Soon I'll be approaching the Governor of Massachusetts to initiate a signature project of building out an Elon Musk styled Hyperloop from New York to Boston along the Massachusetts turnpike. Maybe before I die.

However, glad that US Potus, DOE, DOT, etc. are trying to get it right. Will those charging stations provide any choosen voltage and current, so its effectively universal? Will they include hydrogen refueling for the Toyota Mirai and other fuel cell vehicles?

Hehe... ES "Search found 26 matches: +"fool cell"" :lol:

No one solution suits everyone.
I have several Ebikes, but more often than i like, i have to use a car even when i travel solo, either due to distance, weather, need to carry luggage, collect large objects, pick someone up, etc etc.
A multi passenger vehicle is essential for many folks, especially those with young children or older dependents.
And the EV corridor idea wont solve much either.
The vast majority of the population live in urban areas and do most of their travel within those same urban confines.
But increasingly fewer have permanent parking spots (either private or in public places ) where they can recharge overnight or during work hours. So, for them an EV or PHEV , is not going to work.
We either need a new concept in public charging ( similar to parking meeters) , large amounts of very fast charging stations with battery technology to match, or something like the Fuel cell to provide clean on board charging.
The Nissan epower concept is a kind of half step in that direction.
Bottom line is.......EVs are just not a practical proposition for the majority of the population
...and the price has to be better !

Well Dang. Fastest "recharge" I know of is just to swap packs. [hehe]
Silly Guy, `been talking w/a local bike cart builder to make me a rickshaw... Including passengers and gear, 500lbs "all up" to tow behind my (power-assisted) trike (work-in-progress). And "worst case"? Have charger (in my bag), will travel.

Lessee... "distance, weather, need to carry luggage, collect large objects, pick someone up, etc etc." `Kay. Working on "weather"... but ride pretty much year `round. (Long-time camper and sailor.) So, how "large" exactly? (Should let my rickshaw builder know...) "Pick someone up"? (See "rickshaw", above. Plans for rickshaw include power-assist and brakes, sun shade... ash trays... oysters on ice in a basket... bourbon... etc.

Target market is tourists beside the harbour... almost year `round.

Of yeah. And "price has to be "better""??? I'm saving soooo much money these daze... gotta feel sorry for folks driving to/from their "jobs"... EVery day... day after day... so they can make the car loan payments. Yah. Been there, Done that... Moved on. :wink:

Guess I'm just thinking of "trading up" for the 2-5% of the time I might want "bigger". Hehe

... but I'm "crazy".

Back