KiwiEVs next project fast EV

So I finally got a day off and started the tipping tub on the Toyota ute, this will make it easy to access batteries etc.

Have order a keyless remote with central locking and remote boot opener plan is to install gas struts and solenoid to release tub. 8)

It was a PITA to install the hinges but think F&^k I have a car hoist :D

Cheers Kiwi

Attachments

• IMG_2746.JPG
    IMG_2746.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 2,232
  • IMG_2747.JPG
    IMG_2747.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 2,232
  • IMG_2748.JPG
    IMG_2748.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 2,232
Almost looks like it was designed to be an EV....if you cover one eye....and hold your head sideways.....and ignore the fuel tank and exhaust

Yeah well luckly the top orange battery box out of the Sonic will fit in rear end, and then two boxes each side of the tail shaft where the fuel tank and exhaust are. They will have 12 each to give me 48 cells total.

Just waiting on an order from EV west, then the plan is to drive the Sonic around all day and then bottom balance cells.

Tig up the two 12 cell battery boxes and have it already to mount.

Cheers Kiwi

Also ordered remote central locking and keyless push button start, just need some time off to start taking motor and co ntrollers out.

EV West gave me another wiring harness so I can leave the old one in the Sonic if I turn it into a race car.

Cheers Kiwi

Cowardlyduck said:
Looks amazing mate. Was that up at Charlotte Pass?
Looks like you can manage some decent speed there although impossible to tell without that speedo working.

What kind of range are you seeing so far?

Cheers

Thanks CD :D :D

On the Charlotte road out of perisher we limited to 60 kph had it to 70 kph snow was really sluggish.

Range rode round for about 3 hours maybe 20 Km battery went from 80v to 75 volt waiting on pre scaler for my battery meter.

Btw the speedo is working it shows on bigger viewer.

Cheers Kiwi

So I have been gathering components for the Electro-ute

Vacuum pump
Vacuum tank
Electric power steering pump
12 volt temp probe to stick in controller chill plate then connect to Temp on dash
Heavy duty clutch kit
Flywheel away on weight watchers loosing pounds :lol:
controller cooler
public charge station controller
2 extra 160 Ah cells to give me 48 total and 24.5 Kwh of cruising juice :D
central locking kit
push button and key less remote
real ute tub solenoid to activate of remote to tilt ute tub.

And had a day off today to set up my bottom balancer

Basically 2 x 300 watt 13 ohm power resisters in series switched by a 12 volt contactor controlled by a programmable voltage relay

Or should I only be using 1 resistor? anyway its coming down slowly.

Cheers Kiwi

Lurkin said:
thats the best product Dell's made in a while!

Yeah I thought the same :lol:

So if V + I x R then I = V/R?

3.2 volts / 13 = .246 Amps??? or if I add 2 resisters 3.2 volts / 26 = 0.12 Amps

I think I'm missing something any help???

Cheers Kiwi

Lurkin said:
thats the best product Dell's made in a while!

Well note to self always check cut off voltage with variable power supply I had the output switching relay on at 2.7 volts not off lucky I was around monitoring it.

By the way it took 3.5 days to bottom balance one 160 Ah cell I only have 2 new cells the other 46 are still in the Sonic which I am going drive down to around 2.9 volts then pull out and bottom balance.

Cheers Kiwi

Cowardlyduck said:
I still don't fully understand the point of bottom balancing?
What difference does it make if you balance them in a fully charged state?

Or is it a way of weeding out dud cells?

Cheers

Apparently you full each cell after bottom balancing at the same rate due to internal resistance being similar at a lower voltage. :?

With the Sonic I mid balanced from new and after about 30 cycles each cell is still with in 0.01 volts of each other so I really dont know whats better.
The only reason I'm doing it is I'm adding 2 more cells to the pack that are from a different batch of batteries.

Cheers Kiwi

The other thing I was thinking of making was a DC fast charger, I'm on stand alone solar power so can't recharge at night.
My thoughts were to do a 49 cell 100Ah pack charge by solar you can get a 120 volt solar controller hopefully reprogram to 170 volts off 6 x 24 volt panels.

Then plug into my 48 cell 160Ah pack in ute ?? :idea:

That gives a charge voltage per cell of 3.63 volts and maybe not over charge as its only 100Ah,

Any thoughts ...........

Cheers Kiwi

De-iced the 1966 VW bug last weekend :D took all of 20 minutes :lol: more work taking out the after market oil filter.

started playing around with battery placement, motor should be here this week.

Cheers Kiwi

Attachments

• IMG_2831.JPG
    IMG_2831.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,972
  • IMG_2832.JPG
    IMG_2832.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,972
You should build an undertray with rear diffuser and design a rear roof spoiler to reduce drag. I predict those two things combined, if done right, would increase range at 100 km/h by 25%.

In the link below is the 2003 VW Beetle TDI that was featured on the now-defunct max-mpg.org website. It's major feature was a spoiler shaped to reduce drag.

http://evworld.com/article.cfm?storyid=911

From the article:

"The drag of a Beetle as it comes from the factory is 0.38. After I got done, it's something less than 0.30. A little better maybe than the Jetta".

Before modifying the car, he determined from his own tests that on the highway at a steady 65 mph, the car would get about 52 mpg (4.5L/100km)

After adding the wing, he saw the car's fuel economy improve to 58 mpg (4.0L/100km). With the addition of the low-rolling resistance tires and low-friction lubricant, this improved to 65 mpg (3.6L/100km) in the summer at a steady 65 mph.

Rube said:
Hillhater said:
:shock: jeezz ! ,..that is one clean Bug you have there !
Exactly, very tidy, was it a previously restored or did you do the hard yards? Do these weigh about the 900 to 1000kg?

This project id 50 50 with a mate and he found it on ebay yeah its mint :D :D the idea is to convert and sell as a fully electric.

It weights 800 kg so should perform OK considering the ICE was 38 hp and we are putting in 80 hp.

Cheers Kiwi

The Toecutter said:
You should build an undertray with rear diffuser and design a rear roof spoiler to reduce drag. I predict those two things combined, if done right, would increase range at 100 km/h by 25%.

In the link below is the 2003 VW Beetle TDI that was featured on the now-defunct max-mpg.org website. It's major feature was a spoiler shaped to reduce drag.

http://evworld.com/article.cfm?storyid=911

From the article:

"The drag of a Beetle as it comes from the factory is 0.38. After I got done, it's something less than 0.30. A little better maybe than the Jetta".

...wow toecutter great find that is really useful finally a spoiler that helps I think I will use on my blue super bug.
Cheers Kiwi

Hey Toecutter

with the Hilux ute I am thinking of getting a fibreglass hard cover do you think some sort of rear spoiler would help ????

Thanks Kiwi

Back