• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Kiwi's in frame battery case. Ping/cellman/LiPo

First production batch. Got some in black and some in white, look good mixed and matched.
wpid-IMAG1761.jpg

wpid-IMAG1748.jpg

wpid-IMAG1755.jpg

wpid-IMAG1757.jpg

wpid-IMAG1753.jpg

I bought a box from Kiwi, as the dimensions were perfect for the Hi-Power LiPo packs I build.

I can fit a 15 Ah, "48 V" LiPo pack inside with room to spare for wires and the like. This is my 14s3p pack which is good for 200 A continuous :)

Kiwi_HiPowerLiPo_kit 001.jpg

If you want a solid LiPo pack and a solid box to hold them in, get in touch with me and Kiwi! WIN!

Kiwi_HiPowerLiPo_kit 002.jpg

View attachment 1

I'm thinking of mounting the controller on top of the box. Might not look pretty but it will be far more convenient.

As it sits in the bike:
Kiwi_HiPowerLiPo_kit_fitted 003.jpg

Who needs a BMS when you have a pair of Cell-Log 8 units eh?
Kiwi_HiPowerLiPo_kit_fitted 002.jpg

The chain run fouls the bottom of the box, so I will just have to grind that corner off.

I'm going to use one of kiwis boxes with the EIG cells that Chris is selling.

15 cells should fit well into kiwis box.

Looking to use it for commuting to work. 20 amp hour pack, 66 volts hot off charge and only 6 kilos. May need to get a new seat first before posting pics.

Great solution.

I still do not understand how the box fixes to the frame. There is clearly the below part to be fixed to the bottom tube of the frame, but then in the first picture of the second page, one can see the boxes appear not to be fully aligned with the bottom tube, being a bit elevated from the rear of the box. Instead, the upper rear corner of the box seems to be fixed in some way to the seat tube (maybe using one of the allens of the water bottle holder insertion?).

There is a U-shaped piece of folded aluminium which has four holes. This clamps the lower tube in place. In some of the earlier pictures it appear that the box is not fully seated. You could easily fashion a piece of wood to take the shape of the lower tube of the bike into a wedge-shape and it would sit higher.

Rodney64 said:
I'm going to use one of kiwis boxes with the EIG cells that Chris is selling.

15 cells should fit well into kiwis box.

Looking to use it for commuting to work. 20 amp hour pack, 66 volts hot off charge and only 6 kilos. May need to get a new seat first before posting pics.

It should be 62 V hot off the charger. 15 * 4.15 V = 62.25 V top of charge and ~55 V nominally. Call it spent at 45 V.

You could charge it with a 58.4 V Lithium charger and it would work, but that's barely 3.9 V per cell so you'd miss out on a lot of range.

One of these would work.

http://kellycontroller.com/f6012-60v12a-charger-p-680.html

Just make sure you specify the cell voltages (3.65 V nom, 4.15 V max) and 15 in series (55 V nom 62 V max). They will tune it to these parameters.

Rod can get chargers in too, but I'll have to check if they can be tuned at the factory.

Hey Rodney, I think you might find that the box isn't long enough to fit an EIG cell. They wind up being about 235 mm tall once terminated. I suspect this might fit, or if it does, it leaves little room for much else. I'll have to measure it again tomorrow.

Awesome.
I have run into the chain issue on a couple of bikes, will change the corners in a future run.
Also, I will do a run of longer ones to fit 36v20ah, or48v15 pings, 300mm long inside.

Kiwi said:
Awesome.
I have run into the chain issue on a couple of bikes, will change the corners in a future run.
Also, I will do a run of longer ones to fit 36v20ah, or48v15 pings, 300mm long inside.

Rodney will love you for it :) But then, Kiwis work that way ;)

The EIG packs will end up being about 250 mm long, 140 mm high and 108 mm wide, before any added packaging (add 6 mm to each dimension). They shouldn't need to be any wider, but if you could extend the lid section where it rests on the seat post you would clear the chain on most bikes I think.

jonescg said:
Kiwi said:
Awesome.

Rodney will love you for it :) But then, Kiwis work that way ;)

The EIG packs will end up being about 250 mm long, 140 mm high and 108 mm wide, before any added packaging (add 6 mm to each dimension). They shouldn't need to be any wider, but if you could extend the lid section where it rests on the seat post you would clear the chain on most bikes I think.

Maybe easier to add another 50mm to it. Haha Kim and yes we wear gumboots too.

Great workmanship, looks great! Random question: Does it have a lock on it?

It's a little on the large side for my needs though, although the stealthy aspect is appealing. Will there be smaller ones made in the future?

What a great design!

Great job and it is done from the underside of the world. I guess we are a little lazy up here. it give me and idea to put the other 12s A123 pack under the top bar flat to fit with the one on it's side. plus it looks like it can keep the water out, a plus.

i have 3 narrow cases, about 80mm wide. Ill put up some dimensions when i get back to the 'underworld".

Hello Kiwi, if you are back; do you have any updates?

nice battery box!
i will consider about it on my next ebike build :)

I am getting anxious, any word?

Hi guys. Sorry been absent from the fourm for a bit.
I have 3 of the narrow cases.
Internal dims 90mm wide 270mm long, height is 130mm for the full length of the case and 170mm for 170mm of the length of the case. The difference is cut off at an angle.

They have a hole for panel mount xlr and a xlyte style key switch (I can supply)

Look similar to the bigger case.

Back