kWeld - "Next level" DIY battery spot welder

Trewella said:
Hi, any update for those eagerly awaiting arrival of their welder.

There be a stack of cells that need zapping!
I'm sending regular updates to all waiting customers via email. If you have an order, did you get these emails?

It's all in stock since last Friday. We are busy packing orders, as these are many we need a few days for this.

1532541912224.jpg
can i use this capacitor for spot welding.What charger i neet if are connect 2 in serial-5.6v

kocetoMR said:
1532541912224.jpg
can i use this capacitor for spot welding.What charger i neet if are connect 2 in serial-5.6v
According to their datasheet, their internal resistance is only 0.36mOhms, which is more than appropriate. You should get more than 1000A with two cells, but voltage is a bit at the low side so maybe three of them in series would work even better.

tatus1969 said:
kocetoMR said:
1532541912224.jpg
According to their datasheet, their internal resistance is only 0.36mOhms, which is more than appropriate. You should get more than 1000A with two cells, but voltage is a bit at the low side so maybe three of them in series would work even better.
Cap.Prismatic Type LSUC 002R8P 3000F EA 3000F 2.8V 0.36mΩ Max.Current Non-repeated(Calculated value)2019A <5mA 3.26Wh 0.650kg -40~65C
can deliver max 2019A

kocetoMR said:
Cap.Prismatic Type LSUC 002R8P 3000F EA 3000F 2.8V 0.36mΩ Max.Current Non-repeated(Calculated value)2019A <5mA 3.26Wh 0.650kg -40~65C
can deliver max 2019A
That is their short circuit current, but the welder and the weld spot add resistance (a few milliohms), which is why I estimated 1000A with 2 cells in series.

kocetoMR said:
wish is better- 2S 2P or 3or 4 is serial connection?
2P is definitely not neccessary with these, but I would go for 3S instead of 2S.

tomjasz said:
Gosh it gets better and better. Now I wish I hadn't been in a hurry to have a backup and ordered so early! I have yet to use, and it's 2-3(maybe more) revisions behind todays progress! Congratulations on the development! The photo with caps looks great!

Agreed. This looks like a really great product. I will be making room on my work bench soon. :D

Received my kWeld and kCap kits, finished assembly. Everything went OK, with the exception of a defective M2.5 x 12mm bolt for the LCD standoff. I didn't find a replacement at a local utility store, but managed to find a couple of short 2.5mm bolts laying around in the drawer, so I secured the LCD from both sides. Also one M4 x 12mm bolt for the bus bar was actually M4 x 10 mm. Luckily this didn't affect assembly and hopefully the current rating of the bus bar.

I have a question about kCap balance circuitry LEDs. When should they light? When using kCap I noticed only the power LED is lit constantly. Three balance circuitry LEDs don't light at all. Is this normal?

thodtmd said:
defective M2.5 x 12mm bolt [...] M4 x 10 mm
It's not the first time that my supplier here has messed up, I'll speak with him.

thodtmd said:
I have a question about kCap balance circuitry LEDs. When should they light? When using kCap I noticed only the power LED is lit constantly. Three balance circuitry LEDs don't light at all. Is this normal?
When the balancer has nothing to do, they all stay off. This means that the capacitors are closely matched in capacitance. You'll see them flashing when welding, as the high current pulses briefly distort the monitoring circuit.

And I thought I messed up with using an old ATX PSU as an input for my 12V -> 8.1V DC-DC converter. The current rating was 13A @ 12V, but it gave up magic smoke at ~ 9A. :mrgreen: When I switched to a 7Ah lead-acid battery the LEDs didn't light up. Today when I charged the caps the middle balancing LED lit up, so I guess everything is normal.

So far very glad with the purchase. But I am waiting for your custom capacitor charger PSU, Frank! :)

thodtmd said:
So far very glad with the purchase.
Thanks for that feedback!

thodtmd said:
But I am waiting for your custom capacitor charger PSU, Frank! :)
It's a shame, even more when I tell you that it just needs a layout update. The problem is that to run my business I need to give contract development opportunities priority, and ... ... in simple words, that part is working out too well.

kWeld live and in color here 8)

https://youtu.be/b2sBhDxmPmA?t=345

https://youtu.be/e4lIkonz7Rw?t=2711

Carman said:
I come from China. Could you send it to China?

HA HA! On step closer to a poor quality copies...

“I recommend to use a Turnigy nanotech 3S / 5AH / 130C, or a 65AH car starter battery.”

So the Turnigy 3S/5AH. 130C batteries appear to be sold out on HobbyKing and other sites. What is the best 65AH car starter battery for the Kweld? Thanks.

Carman said:
garolittle said:
Carman said:
I want to order your "Next level" DIY battery spot welder,How to do it? :?

https://www.keenlab.de/index.php/product/kweld-complete-kit/
I come from China. Could you send it to China?
I'm sorry, but I don't ship to China. There is too many fraud going on in this respect.

garolittle said:
“I recommend to use a Turnigy nanotech 3S / 5AH / 130C, or a 65AH car starter battery.”

So the Turnigy 3S/5AH. 130C batteries appear to be sold out on HobbyKing and other sites. What is the best 65AH car starter battery for the Kweld? Thanks.
Turnigy must have seen a recent order peak of this particular type :)

There is an alternative Lipo model that I have also tested: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/graphene-6000mah-3s-65c-w-xt90.html

I haven't used starter batteries, but a customer has reported that these are working well and deliver 1000A+: http://ultracell.co.uk/products/uxl-batteries/12v (model Ultracell UXL65-12).

Back