Let's design a body for a Rhoades Car

OK, I apologize, I wasn't thinking of younger kids, that can't ride. :(

There IS a need for enclosed vehicle's, of course.

Plus it gets wet, and chilly out.

Maybe we should discuss the NEED first, and that will shape the design.

LockH pointed out that the OP wanted to drop the kids off at wherever. which of course is a good idea, or just cruise
them around the hood for fun. Long as your not driving the 'behemoth' around, it's all good.

It would also be a good idea to add a rear cargo for hauling things,..one of the big contributors to car congestion is short
local trips for small things.
So thats two adults up front, and two kids in back? Plus cargo.

Protection from light rain and possibly cold. :?: If it has a lot of surface, then solar as well. :idea:

Speed and distance?

Hehe... There IS a need for enclosed vehicle's, of course. Plus it gets wet, and chilly out.

Speaking as a life-long sailor... and camper... Find thread amusing. [Following]

So if anyone is still thinking of the sort of bike the OP had in mind, we can go back to my suggestion of 3 wheels instead of 4, looking at the instructables project, etc. Here's a potential rear wheel. https://www.ebay.com/itm/173547185183

No one has mentioned the Morgan 3 wheeler yet?!!! Three wheels, so it's a moped not a car, even with an electric motor. 20's style body, so it looks good with tall, spoke wheels, simple curvatures to the body panels, for easy home building...and it has surprisingly good aero. There was a top available, if you insist on full weather protection, but built as a single seat, you'd be pretty well protected .

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:1938_Morgan_Super_Sports_barrelback_Matchless.jpg

That's good, but he wanted pedals. The Instructables bike I posted is three wheel pedal, you could put a Morgan like body on it. His Rhoadescar is a 4 seat, a desire to be considered in alternatives.

I love this thread, let's have more ideas.

I figured you wouldn't want the motorcycle v twin version...;)...there's an adult pedal car version of the Morgan out there, but I think it's based on another model, and not so pretty.

https://newatlas.com/morgan-threewheeler-velomobile/38225/

There were a lot of micro cars of the 1920's, termed "cyclecars" that had simple bodies..a couple even seated 4.

http://theoldmotor.com/?s=%22cyclecars%22

Personally, I think a velocar gets unrealistically heavy and bulky if it made to carry more than one. or at most two, people.

Yeah, pedals work best on bicycles, with nothing more than. But he wants a 4 seater with enough electric power to help him get around slowly.

And of course, what we all REALLY want, maybe:

French-Three-Wheeled-Sports-Car-1080x650.jpg

^^ Much gushing and salivating here... :wink:

Nice one Dauntless. That's the kind of thing I've been hoping would pop up in this thread. While I'd be perfectly fine with exactly that without the gasser grill, where are the artsy design types when we need them to take that 3 wheeler and give it a bit of modern touch and better ergonomics for a really slick and useful 3 wheel EV?

Hi Guys,

i am also keen in building a high tech full suspension 4wd ...let´s say pedalcars (velomobiles).

one of the most exciting designs i think is this:

Fayton concept car.jpg

and for making an relatively easy body, foam with polygon design might be the material of choice like:

jk velo3.jpg
www.jk-velo.de.rs

for cheap and easy framing (bicycle speed) i suggest widened ATV/QUAT frames with moped tyres:

only to get an idea:

pedal power ATV.jpg

also want to mention TWIKE(for technical reference of a faster velocar), that is available since 1998:

Twike-3-und-Twike-4-überqueren-die-Alpen.jpg

hope i get the time to start my own project soon... if there is interest from some of you guys i would be happy to start a thread of the concept-phase.

regards from snowy germany :bolt:

I didn't realize Twike came out with a sportier more eye candy version. I'd like to do something with the looks of the one on the right as a leaning delta, so it could be higher and narrower. For passengers, I have no issue with going inline seating. I want narrow enough to split traffic, and 3 wheels to make dual hubbies is possible. I don't want to go 2 wheels to avoid the landing gear complication, though I've though of a gyro to stabilize at stops that is spun up by regen braking and get much of that energy back again by regen braking the flywheel at take off...workable I think but weight, space, and complication issues are all avoided by a simple leaning delta with a simple lean lock for stops.

So the problem with the eye candy look extends beyond the additional work --- It tends to make it heavier. The JK Velo is so accessible and so light. But I want something better, no question.

That Fayton Ecological Tourism car --- Dang, is it REAL? 4 years on, NOTHING! And there would seem a lack of headroom, a telltale sign they had no intention of actually building. But I picture the Autocross world, SCCA Solo, etc., with guys showing up with their cheap trackcar version for time trials.

Hey John,

maybe mosquito is something for you. the tilting mechanisms looks really slick :
mosquito-velomobile.jpg

I had quite some 3 wheller, but for my self there are more disadvantages in space and stability then with 4.
And the jk velo2 is also going for 4 wheels and suspension.

But your 2 wheel idea with some hand operated support wheels sounds like a suitable solution and is already existing:
monotracer.jpg

Hey Dauntless,

Fayton is only a cool design. So lets occupay a suitable frame and make it real :mrgreen:
did you talk about the A-Mod cars?

also found right now pedilio that is road legal for 45km/h:
pedilio.jpg

With a dirtbike backround my efforts will go to high clearance allwheeldrive and Fayton-shape converted in a bit more aggressive polygonshape.

What do you guys think about pedaling like this, to save space and add gear by changing the position of the connecting rod?
tretautomechanik.jpg
View attachment 1

also want to mention:
View attachment 5

CityQ.jpg

View attachment 3

maybe we should start a new thread, and draw up some different requirement list (seats?, Power?, wheels?, Speed?)

We discussed types of pedalling, really got away from the rhoadescar. Which was the best part.

OP wasn't so serious, so we were free to roam. Obvoiusly some of us WANT to. . . .

Dauntless said:
...OP wasn't so serious, so we were free to roam. Obvoiusly some of us WANT to. . . .

Exactly, I'd like to be out of the rain this rainy season, so 4-5 months to go is plenty of time for me if I get started soon. Sleek through the wind and easy in-n-out are my priorities, since pedals aren't a requirement here and I'm permitted to run enough power that there's not much point of the space and complication of pedals.

John in CR said:
Exactly, I'd like to be out of the rain this rainy season, so 4-5 months to go is plenty of time for me if I get started soon. Sleek through the wind and easy in-n-out are my priorities, since pedals aren't a requirement here and I'm permitted to run enough power that there's not much point of the space and complication of pedals.

I could totally see you building a 150 mph capable velomobile...

Back