Letting the cat out of the bag...........

Hi Matt,
recumpence said:
#4 The freewheeling crank. This is one thing I am really excited about! It will use a second support bearing to eliminate the overloaded freewheel bearing issue that is so common with freewheeling cranks. It will also use standard 130mm BCD chainrings for multiple ratio options. I am very excited to have come up with a solution to the FW crank bearing issue.
If these are ready maybe you could start selling them now as a stand-alone item? I'm sure this could be a big help with some builds and generate some cash flow.

recumpence said:
#3 The drive unit will mount firmly to the bottom bracket bearing cups on each side with a simple strap holding it up to the bottom of the downtube. This system should fit 90%+ of the frames out there including some very odd styles. It will easily adapt to either 68mm or 73mm bottom brackets.
I think you should make this so it accommodates your current drives. It would be very useful for quite a few builds (decanio and mwkeefer for example). I'd also make it so that it could be easily used for mid-hub builds.

recumpence said:
I am contracting my own motor for this drive.
For a low power system (up to about 2kw) I think you should consider using a modified geared hub. A little heavier than an RC Motor but built in 5:1 or 6:1 reduction and sensors. No additional reduction required would mean a much simpler and less expensive system.

Modified like this:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=45245

Mitch,

"Yes" on at least two out of three. :)

The mount system of the new drive will accomodate my existing drives.

Also, the freewheeling crank is the first item. That part is nearly finished with programming and the drive parts are programmed. It is moving along. I have a large OEM contract that I am working on. Once that is done, I will have the time and the resources (from the profit of that contract) to finally finish the crank drive.

As for geared hub motor, that will not happen right now. That is mainly for size and weight reasons.

Matt

+1 excited to see progress, could use a nicer (with bearing) alternative to this non-standard GNG junk freewheeling bottom bracket, also can't wait to see the new mount system using the bottom bracket !!

The motor Im excited for but weve seen how custom motor projects turn out in the past right?

Regards,
Mike

Not sure about the custom motor comment. The custom motors I have had made (3230 and fan cooled 3220s) have all worked well. The fan cooled motors are made a few here and there. The big 3230 is still requested by customers. It is just very expensive to make. They all have worked well, though. As for the outrunner for the new crank drive, that is a motor that is based on a production motor that will merely have a different KV and different shaft. So, there are no production issues I can foresee.

The machinist called me the other day saying that he is programming the crank/sprocket spider with second support bearing. That is the first production part we will put into production (other than pulleys and other bits I already have in stock).

Matt

I have been leaning towards a hub mid drive for my next build but this system you are putting together looks really nice. I am assuming it will be a bit noisier than the hub mid drive but I think I can live with that. I like the light weight and small in size features you are shooting for. I am thinking of a full suspension bike that can climb steep hills for long climbs on the trail. Will this system have good slow speed control at the throttle and be easy enough to gear a 24" rear wheel to go very slow up steep hills for a long time? I am fine with a top speed of even 20mph but I would like the slow speed control and torque to be my main priority. If this system would work for this type of ride I would be very interested in buying the whole package including battery,contoller,mid drive complete with the motor you recomend. Good luck with this project I hope it turns out well. Wayne

The one major benefit of running through the bike's drivetrain is the ability to change ratios. To a degree, that eliminates the partial throttle sensitivity of sensorless systems, because you can merely run a lower ratio for climbing.

I am moving forward on this system. It is slow going. But, it is moving forward. :)

Matt

recumpence said:
The one major benefit of running through the bike's drivetrain is the ability to change ratios. To a degree, that eliminates the partial throttle sensitivity of sensorless systems, because you can merely run a lower ratio for climbing.

I am moving forward on this system. It is slow going. But, it is moving forward. :)

Matt

Hmmm. Matt. This has me thinking about possibilities for next winter's project. In any way is there a possible "upgrade path" for those with existing "Schumaker" drives? :)

Hi Matt, just checking back seeing if there's a bump in here ;)

can you give any specs on your new system yet, watts, top end , range , price , leaning towards new currie peak but your system sounds really nice.. :?:

Back