Letting the cat out of the bag...........

damonjackson_spl said:
Great sounding product but the most important aspect that seems to be missed is the price. Your volume could exponentially grow to massive production if you made a product better than cyclone but not as exxy as ecospeed or ego.

Still seems like a boutique type drive, need something around $800-$1000

With lower power can't you go cheaper and smaller belts?
The problem is the very high parts count. The price of the actual drive system would not be very high. However, this system requires the drive system (100% custom parts, pulleys, torque limiter, etc, nothing off the shelf), a complete freewheeling crank with high quality freewheel and bottom bracket, second support bearing with chainring and bearing adaptor (again, custom made), frame mounts (many parts, all custom), a new motor, and a controller.

The drive will, indeed, be sexy looking. It does not take much extra time or money (almost no extra time or money) to make the system sexy looking. I have CNC machined aluminum pulleys that are wiffled with many holes and the drive is machined in a very visually appealing way.

I will have over $1,000 invested in each drive out ot my own pocket, not including the huge amount of time designing, programming, and debugging the system. Beyond that, the only way I can get my cost that low is to purchase 20 of most of the parts at a time.

The belt cost is not the main money draw. It is sheer parts count. A freewheeling crank drive system can, indeed, be made cheaper than this. However, this system is meant to be very light weight, and high quality as well as relatively quiet. Cyclone systems are innexpensive, but heavy, noisey and look like a hammer. No problem for most buyers. They fill a niche that is very large. Eco-Speed stuff is high quality, but honestly (and I am sorry to sound as though I am bashing any products) I am sorry they are CRAZY overpriced! They are, also, HUGE and use #25 pitch chains. If Eco-Speed drives were 1/2 their price, I would still find them expensive for what you get.

Lastly, as huge market is not always a good thing. This is where Eco-Speed really has it figured out. The high-end decreases overall numbers substancially, but increases profit margins. This drasticaly reduces customer support. If you sell 1,000 systems to beginners who only have a few hundred bucks to spend, you will have low profits per sale and high customer/product support. However, if you sell a hundred systems at $1,000+, your profit margine is higher per sale and customer support that is required is far lower. That means that any customer question or issue that arises can be given far more attention.

I have plenty of people willing to invest in this. I have not taken them up on it because that puts a strain on a business (many times it does), and I know I can do this without them. I am ordering enough parts to build 20 systems (some parts I can buy one at a time if I need to at no additional cost, but not the machined parts). As those sell, I will presell more kits with a modest wait time. The deposits on that second batch of drives will be used to fund the second run of parts. This is how I have funded my previous kits for both bicycles and RC helis. It works well as the deposit guarantees order volume (gives me exact numbers to work with), gives some up front capitol without a "Payback" debt, and allows me to order larger volumes of parts each time I reorder.

What I am doing, also, is constantly scanning the web looking for other motor options, controllers, etc.

Lastly, the best business model for building a company without capitol is to apeal to the high-end first, then cust costs once products are selling well. I may, indeed, look at a less costly system after this one. However, the only way to do that is to reduce parts count. That requires a direct drive (no primary belt reduction from motor to jackshaft). That means a larger far lower KV motor. That, in turn, means less power per pound. See the delema?

I am working on making the best that is not for only the ultra wealthy. Yes this system is for those who have at least a small amount of means. The being said, it could be priced nearly twice this high, make me a FORTUNE and still sell in limited quantities.

I hear ya. I would love the price to be below $1,000. I am working on cost cutting the best I can without sacrificing quality.

Matt

cant wait to see some pics, i'd be very interested in the reduction only product if not the whole kit at a later date... you already know matt that im starting my own mid drive build, but depending on my success in that this could be a good alternative for future builds.

any chance we can see the design pics, at least to get a better idea on how it mounts to the bike? i'd be interested to know if I could fit it on my aline...

sn0wchyld said:
cant wait to see some pics, i'd be very interested in the reduction only product if not the whole kit at a later date... you already know matt that im starting my own mid drive build, but depending on my success in that this could be a good alternative for future builds.

any chance we can see the design pics, at least to get a better idea on how it mounts to the bike? i'd be interested to know if I could fit it on my aline...

Actually, I don't have any pictures of the frame mount that I can show. However, I can describe it for you;

It will consist (in a very basic sence) of two 3/16" thick plates that will capture the bottom bracket on each side. Those plates will capture a 5/8" thick aluminum plate between them. That plate will be retained to the frame downtube with a stainless strap (possibly a high quality hose clamp such as used on tubo kits). The drive unit, itself, will recess into a large slot in the center of that thick plate and will be able to slide forward or backward for chain adjustment.

Yes, I will be open to selling individual parts. However, right now I am very focussed on finishing the innitial prototyping as well as production. Some parts do not require prototyping and can go directly into production. Some parts are already produced and a couple need to be prototyped first. However, this system is much further along than that may make it sound. I have been designing and doing all research on this for some time now. I am quite confident that there will not be any major hickups. I have a couple concerns that I need to do some prototyping to figure out. But, nothing major.

This system is the culmination of all of the work I have done so far. I am opening up all of my bag of tricks for this. It is taking all of my knowledge to work this out, not because it is complicated, but because I am trying to simplify an otherwise complicated system.

Production and prototyping are moving faster than I originally thought. I will have something decent to show in 3 to 4 weeks with production in about 2 months at this point.

Matt

The problem is, for direct drive (sprocket directly on the shaft) the motor would have to run WAY to slowly. An Astro would never run right at such a low RPM.

My system will be able to run Astros and RC outrunners.

The specific motor most will be speced for (for federally legal systems) will be Maxx Product's large outrunner with a custom shaft.

Matt

Hands up for at least one unit! I am installing one of these on a Fat bike with a nuvinci on the back. After spending some time in the garage last night I really like the idea of putting it on my Santa Cruz Bullit too! That bike just never worked well with hub motors, but it would be awesome with a mid drive!

For those wanting a lower cost, lower power, higher weight solution- I have a feeling Matt could put a kit together once the drives are tested. Next time we talk I have a really good idea for you, Matt 8) It would still be worlds above a cyclone though.

recumpence said:
sn0wchyld said:

Actually, I don't have any pictures of the frame mount that I can show. However, I can describe it for you;

It will consist (in a very basic sence) of two 3/16" thick plates that will capture the bottom bracket on each side. Those plates will capture a 5/8" thick aluminum plate between them. That plate will be retained to the frame downtube with a stainless strap (possibly a high quality hose clamp such as used on tubo kits). The drive unit, itself, will recess into a large slot in the center of that thick plate and will be able to slide forward or backward for chain adjustment.

Yes, I will be open to selling individual parts. However, right now I am very focussed on finishing the innitial prototyping as well as production. Some parts do not require prototyping and can go directly into production. Some parts are already produced and a couple need to be prototyped first. However, this system is much further along than that may make it sound. I have been designing and doing all research on this for some time now. I am quite confident that there will not be any major hickups. I have a couple concerns that I need to do some prototyping to figure out. But, nothing major.

This system is the culmination of all of the work I have done so far. I am opening up all of my bag of tricks for this. It is taking all of my knowledge to work this out, not because it is complicated, but because I am trying to simplify an otherwise complicated system.

Production and prototyping are moving faster than I originally thought. I will have something decent to show in 3 to 4 weeks with production in about 2 months at this point.

Matt

lol i've had similar thoughts myself... damn shame production's still a couple of months out or I'd be in already, but this sounds about perfect for my norko in the future, since modding that frame is almost blasphemy!

from what you were saying earlier, do you also have a 3rd plate to support the BB on the drive side from the twisting forces?

it really is awsome to see how the world of ebikes is progressing, i think i've joined the party at just the right time!

Matt

I have been waiting for you to come up with a mid drive application!!! I have owned and tried the Eco speed system CONS: too big and mount fit funny, ended up cutting a pasting my own version. Also the gear box was chinsy and unit was slow in my opinion at 48V and 1000 watts PROS: controller was real good and easy to work with, easy to install. Next I have made a cyclone set up using a controller from Lyen (programmable) CONS: too big, loud, coming up with a mounting set up. PROS: fast, with Lyen contoller and three speed switch best of all world!!!

I had also two years ago tried a astro based mid drive using a nuegart reduction unit. CONS: Astro motor just spins at such high RPMS hard to control the torque, controller and programming difficult, loud, volitle electrically, hair trigger throttle. PROS: small and sexy, cool

If you are able to fix the CONS from my own attempt at the RC build then you will have a winner for sure. Put me down for a complete system (minus the battery). As for the cost you make it what ever you need to to make a good profit. Things that are quality cost money, if they want cheap they can buy a cyclone set up.

One question are you going to make it so it fits a 68 and 72 bottom brackets? The 72 is what most if not all mountain bikes are these days!! Can not wait so hurry up and finish them!!!

recumpence said:
#4 The freewheeling crank. This is one thing I am really excited about! It will use a second support bearing to eliminate the overloaded freewheel bearing issue that is so common with freewheeling cranks. It will also use standard 130mm BCD chainrings for multiple ratio options. I am very excited to have come up with a solution to the FW crank bearing issue. I am not the first to do this, but I think it is the first to be readily available. My system will come with this new FW crank system and a new lengthened bottom bracket.
Will this work on any BB diameter & width, i.e. Old School SS American BB shell w/larger diameter? So, essentially, we will install a new BB crank-axle, bearings, with new crankarms, and chainrings with drive chainring freewheeling?

johnrobholmes said:
It will be made to work, because my Pugsley is getting a kit too! 8)
John, what rims & tires do you plan to use?

Look forward to pics/vid of a prototype installed on a Matt MD eBike :!: :twisted: 8)

Hi,

Like a fellow poster further back, I've pretty much been a bit of a lurker on this forum,though its a great place for good chat and info (lost a few hours in reading through muchos old threads lol...anyway been loggin in infrequently to check out latest dev, particularly from Mr Shumaker, and now I'm really interested !...price wise? from my point quality is paramount,i'd much rather outlay now and not have to later...as my old gran used to say 'buy shit buy twice'..albeit I changed a word from 'cheap' !!

Cheers.

recumpence said:
#4 The freewheeling crank. This is one thing I am really excited about! It will use a second support bearing to eliminate the overloaded freewheel bearing issue that is so common with freewheeling cranks. It will also use standard 130mm BCD chainrings for multiple ratio options. I am very excited to have come up with a solution to the FW crank bearing issue. I am not the first to do this, but I think it is the first to be readily available. My system will come with this new FW crank system and a new lengthened bottom bracket.
recumpence said:
freewheeling crank is crank arms, bottom bracket, spindle, retainer, spacer, bearing, sprocket adaptor, White Industries freewheel, two chainrings, bolts, etc.
Matt, please fill-in some more info here... what part of the freewheeling crank set-up is custom made & not off the shelf?

It seems your solution is to take-out the standard BB innards & crank, and, then, replace those parts with your parts. IOW, we'll strip out existing BB parts to leave just the empty BB shell to install & retrofit your parts extending the BB width which is flexible using spacers for variable widths :idea: What is the minimum width of your extended BB :?:

What about BB with a larger BB shell diameter? Can your design work with larger diameter shells? What diameters? For example, the Old School American large diameter BB used for single speeds.

Thanks. :D

It has been a while and I have recieved a lot of PMs with questions about this new drive as well as requests to preorder them. I am not taking preorders yet. But, I am moving forward with this. The reason I have not posted any progress pictures is because there was not anything Earth-shattering to report. I have been, mostly, designing, refining, and simplifying various parts and sub systems of this drive (I think I have it reduced to the simplest layout possible at this point). I have, also, been meeting with the motor manufacturer and my machineshops as well as various other individuals who's advice I covet.

Anyway, here is where the mechanical side is at this point. I have the large pulleys in stock and the mount foot for the drive. I machined one frame mount plate on the manual mill to give you an idea of how the system will mount. The flat plate is, obviously, not finished. It is just a plate I had lying around to do some test fitting with. :)

Here are some pictures. The parts are just laying there to give you an idea of their general layout and what the kit will look like. You can see the drive fits very tight up against the downtube. The thick baseplate will be captured on the left and right sides of the bottom bracket shell. The front of the plate will simply strap or clamp to the downtube with a simple large stainless clamp. Simple......

Oh, this is NOT the motor the drive will use. It is just a motor I had lying around to set on the drive for pictures! The drive will use a custom motor based around the Maxx Products 6320 and 6332 motors. It will, also, be available with an Astro motor.

These pictures are of a 60 tooth crank sprocket. The stock system will, most likely, come with a 56 tooth Origin 8 brand chainring.

If you look closely, you will see that the motor plate can rotate around the jackshaft bearing tube to swing down under the bottom bracket (kind of in front of the bottom bracket). This may be needed for some bikes for front wheel clearance, but it is doubtful. However, it was not any more difficult to design the system this way than not. So, I decided to leave motor placement adjustable by the end user. Simply loosten two pinch bolts, swing the motor to the new position, and tighten them back down. That is it.

I will post more pictures and info as I have it.

Matt

Attachments

• pic8.jpg
    pic8.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 2,144
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 2,144
  • pic5.jpg
    pic5.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 2,144
  • pic6.jpg
    pic6.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 2,144
  • pic7.jpg
    pic7.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 2,144
That little motor almost looks lost in there with all that billet! Lol! Beautiful work as usual!

Hey, I know you are probably overwhelmed with various PMs and other details. And, you know, working on the system. I just wanted to make a plug for a surprisingly affordable waterjet cutting company, since you said part of the high cost comes in the small parts and custom designs for them and that's kind of frustrating. bigbluesaw.com, they do waterjet and laser cutting in various materials. I'm just curious if certain parts can be made cheaper from them either through lamination construction or when the piece is thin. I've heard of people 2D cutting a chainring and then filing down the teeth profile for high count chainring at a lower price (actually when I finally get to it I was planning that for my 20" bike unless I can snag a high count ring at a more reasonable price elsewhere). Anyway, these are just some side points. I have not used the company yet, but it was recommended by a trustworthy acquaintance as a good place. My main thing is that I've gotten automated quotes on several different projects/ideas that were *much* cheaper than local shops [they calculate the cost on price with a formula like ponoko and the other type of on-demand sites]. -End plug. not affiliated at all. By the way, by 'lamination method', I mean, building up a 1.5" part with 3 0.5" lasercut pieces that are then epoxied together.

recumpence said:
recumpence said:
freewheeling crank is crank arms, bottom bracket, spindle, retainer, spacer, bearing, sprocket adaptor, White Industries freewheel, two chainrings, bolts, etc.
Matt, can you fill-in some more info here... as your pics aren't showing the freewheeling crank bearing setup w/2nd support bearing??? Give us some drawings or pics when you have a chance. Thanks.

Looking good. 8)

Very nice Matt, I was beginning to wonder about that motor until I read your post. :lol:

Devries are you planning on buying one of these?

What a trick way to incorporate the mounting foot into a tensioning device!

Looking great, can't wait to see how you finalize it!

johnrobholmes said:
What a trick way to incorporate the mounting foot into a tensioning device!
Even more trick is how to get chain alignment? :?: :idea:

Do you see and understand how it can move laterally to get chain-line alignment? :?:

Use spacers or is there a tracking slot to move it? :?:

Back