Letting the cat out of the bag...........

I am anxious to see what comes of this but I have to say that a 56t chainring offroad is kind of sketchy. I use 32t 1x9 setups on my mtb's anymore and I still knick them once in awhile. I don't have any interest in this cat for that so it doesn't bother me, just sayin.

It would be interesting to see what Florian Schlumpf would dream up if he was tasked with making a freewheeling front crankset based on his 2 spd bb drive. One thing for sure, it would be expensive :shock:

This maybe exactly what I need for my next build... (Full suspension bike this time, a non suspended trike with skinny tires gets a bit bumpy over 30mph!)

Was there a price posted for the hardware only kit? (No motor, controller or batteries, but everything else?)

Running our own motor/controller, would there be a power limit that we should be aware of?

The motor plate is being machined for the Maxx Products 6320 and 6332 motors. I have no idea what other motors use their bolt spacing.

I have no problem selling individual components, per-se. But, I would highly recommend running the motor it is designed for. I have done a lot of research for the perfect [ideal] motor. As for controllers and batteries, that is something that each customer can source if they desire. :)

Matt

Hi Matt,

For use with an Astro 3220 the maximum reduction would be about 24:1 (17t and 95t pulleys with a 13t fw and a 56t chainring)? If so the output with a 7 turn (97 kv) 3220 at 44v will be roughly 150 rpm (97 * .85 * 44 / 24 = 151) which is pretty fast.

It might be a good idea to provide a way to attach 13t #219 sprockets to the FW and offer the kits with an Extron sprocket (72t-92t) instead of the Origin 8 chainring. That would allow a range of substantially greater reductions (easily over 30:1).

Best wishes for the kit, kudos for all the hard work.
Any weight estimates yet, or with parts used thus far?
Ditto the large chainwheel concern for offroad. 56T outboard may offer a nice large bash guard option/built in to counter that?

Any updates. Keen to hear what is happening.

- Adrian

I have been taking this project slowly. However, it is moving forward. I just recieved work from my motor supplier that my custom length shafts are being made. The FW cranks should be done within the next couple weeks.

Basically, I have had a couple major drive system clients that have taken up my time. Also, this project is an expensive one to develop. So, I am moving forward with it in steps to keep from killing my savings on it all at once. I also am making sure I cover all the bases on it.

I was hoping to have something to show by now. But, these things always seem to take longer than we expect.

This is my main project right now. The other projects I am working on are being handled by others on my behalf.

Matt

How is the progress on your new system ? I hope things are working in your favor.
Will the system work with a bike frame like the one in the picture (my bike :D )?
The lower tube is about 60mm wide and more rectangular than round.
What will be the weight of the system, I mean just the extra weight (motor, gearbox, mounting parts)?

Attachments

• 08Demo7.jpg
    08Demo7.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 3,251
Sorry about the long time to make this a reality. I have a number of irons in the fire right now and all of them are very involved projects. So, each one is kind of bogged down (time wise). Yes, the new drive should fit that frame without a problem.

Wait till you guys see the wicked stuff I (and others in concert with me) are working on. These projects are bigger than any one of use can handle on our own. I am utilizing the best engineers and machinists I know in their respective fields to achieve some phenominal results in 3 major projects. I can tell you that one of these projects will completely change the way you guys look at E-bikes.

It may take a while to realize all of these projects. But, every one of them is moving forward at a steady pace.

Matt

Sounds good Matt. I love these leading edge ebike design work.

I think i figured out what's in the bag
Velocraft NoCom with tail fairing, powered by a sensored, liquid cooled 4" astro flight, with a sevcon controller, and an A123 custom battery pack.

I commute ~35 miles a day and currently have a RMartin R12. The battery fells like it is getting near end of life, and it’s a heavy beast with sketchy quality. Once the battery finally kicks the bucket, I was thinking of spending too much on what I assumed was a great quality kalkhoff for commuting in the heat in the summer.

I’m new to the forum, but there are sure a lot of folks that seem quite impressed with prior workmanship. Now that I have seen this, I am very interested in converting my 2009 Raleigh Detour 4.5 with this system. The pictures look great, and I guess I’ll join the rest of the folks eagerly awaiting updates.

Quick question Matt, regarding the cranks........what length are they going to be or is it possible to spec custom? just that I am currently running 162mm trials cranks on my cyclone setup and they give better ground/cornering clearance (especially whilst pedalling)and also easier to keep a higher pedal cadence.

thanks,

Ian :D

Dingo2024 said:
Quick question Matt, regarding the cranks........what length are they going to be or is it possible to spec custom? just that I am currently running 162mm trials cranks on my cyclone setup and they give better ground/cornering clearance (especially whilst pedalling)and also easier to keep a higher pedal cadence.

thanks,

Ian :D

To start with, they will all be 170mm. I will begin using standard FW cranks that sick bike, cyclone, and others use.

Matt

Here is one more step toward crank drive goodness. :wink:

This is a Maxx Products 6332 motor with a custom longer shaft. This shaft is 2 inches long beyond the edge of the can. The stock shaft was a bit too short. These new shafts also do not have the snap ring groove. That groove weakens the shaft right at the most critical point and introduces a stress riser there at the worst possible point. The pulley will have a small collar as a spacer to hold the shaft and motor bell from scooting out the back of the motor once assembled and installed.

This motor is $200 and are in stock pretty much all the time. So, I can obtain and ship these very quickly.

I will keep you posted as other parts of the new drive are finished. :D

Matt

Attachments

• maxx1.jpg
    maxx1.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 3,335
  • maxx2.jpg
    maxx2.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 3,335
The ring slots are why DayGlo Avenger's first successful friction drive ultimately failed, as the shaft of one motor snapped right there, just inboard of the bearing. :( So eliminating any of those is a really good idea on somethign that will see side-loading. :)

etard said:
Devries are you planning on buying one of these?
Hey, long-time no see. :) You must be doing some cool projects yourself? Are you a recent beta-tester? :?: :twisted: (Please send me a PM about it. 8) )

All depends on price & if I want this type of speed/acceleration for "X" bike. No demos or example set-ups are given yet, so I guess I'll have to wait & see. I think I'm looking for 25+mph though. :D

Matt, are you far enough along to let us know if this is a "this summer" May/June offering, or are we looking at September & beyond? :?:

I'm in no rush, seriously, but would like an ETA or WAG :p if possible... :mrgreen:

Hi Matt,

Inexpensive guards for the belt and chain would be nice:
P4160005.jpg

Where does this project stand as far when version 1 will be available for purchase?

Bump for Spring to make sure you're not lost in that new shop or other fantastic builds going on ;)

Hey Guys,

A little update........

I am contracting my own motor for this drive. I have the entire drive designed and most of the parts are being drawn in CAD at the machineshop right now. I do not have a release date. But, I can tell you it is moving forward.

Sorry for how long this has taken. So many things have been going on. But, I am determined to release a problem free system.

Matt

Back