LIPO or CELLS ??

bruxellair

1 mW
some will want typed on my finger as the subject of be discussed several times before, but I strongly hesitate on my choice, so please advice!

I must choose or not to the bag or handrail, and the choice of battery (LiPo or lithium cell)

achieving a big bike project
- Full suspension bike
hs3540 with motor
if engine is great, BUT: it demands big power!
So it takes me a 72v20AH

the problem is that I have no place to set up my battery.
the rear spring is on the inside of the frame, so I have no room for the battery installed within
two solutions:
or I bought the bag LOUIS VUITTON BAG aditiv V2, I find beautiful but super expensive!
150 euros before delivery, counted 180 euros delivered
I opt for either the rear bar to the battery installed BUT: super ugly!

talking about the battery now
I had thought at the beginning of found someone here in Belgium for a battery with cells, but I must terminate me thought we still had the Stone Age here, and that I should probably imported battery .

BUT
I came across this:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__80907__Multistar_High_Capacity_6S_20000mAh_Multi_Rotor_Lipo_Pack.html

132 euros

I waited a few minutes, and the site made me an offer 114 euros a piece!
or 450 euros + - to 84v20ah !!!
200mmx90mmx60mm
INCREDIBLE :D
I thought about lipo because I could put two rooms on each side of the bag aditiv

What do you think ?

I previse I have no lipo charger
I have a cell charger for 74V, but I doubt that I could use?

Finally, here is my thought are still fuzzy on my choice

thank you

if you dont care about charge cycles aka lifetime, and aware of the lipo risks go for them. if you want a more reliable configuration go with 18650.

i am currently running a 18650 triangle shaped homemade pack out of LG 18650 MH1 (3200mah/Cell) in a 15s8p Configuration which is able to deliver up to 80 Amp Peak and a total of a little bit above 25aH Capacity. Fits tight into Cellmens (em3ev) well known Frame Bag.

Price per Cell was about 3€, grabbed them (like always) from Arjan the Dutchman or better known as nkon.nl

If you can not put the batteries in the triangle, get rear panniers and put them the pannier bags. Evenly divide the batteries into 2 blocks and put one on each side of the bicycle for best balance. Some people purchase a "Pelican Case" for the battery and mount it on the handle bars.

The web site you referenced says that that battery is "out of stock." Time to look for a different battery.

:D

18650 do not break unless you go out of spec.

Pounches huff, puff and blow your pack away even keeping them in spec.

You decide...

Peronally i would design a pack you can fit on the frame. With cells you can make pretty weird shapes that fit your frame exactly. Keeping them in a bag is seriously not recommended.

I carry 48v 10 ah of lipo on a rear rack. 8 pounds. ( 10 pounds is about the limit to carry on a rear rack btw) yes,, not good for bike handling, but not much for options with an old Y frame bike,,ifyou don't want to bang your knees on battery boxes riding dirt. But that rides a bit unbalanced. The solution,, 5-10 pounds more battery mounted on the handlebars.

No,,,it don't handle perfect,,, but it's kind of amazing how balancing some high rear weight with some high front weight helped.

But 72v 20 ah,, that's a crapton of battery. lipo or 19650s, its going to be a tough carry unless you split it in half. Lipo will be heavier,, but 24 pounds for lipo is still doable if you can balance out how it's loaded on the bike. Some on the frame top tube,, some on the bars, some on a rear rack? three 24v 20 ah sections kind of makes sense to me.

Hello,
I see that the reviews are equally mitigate that in my head. :D

if I put 4 lipo 20ah or 2 cells on each side of the bag (aditiv bag), it should go. the advantage of bag is that it is disposed on the frame just above a side of the handlebar.

for charging, it's a bit tedious yes (not as easy as plugging in the home charger)
the advantage is that as soon as a lipo dies, I unplug and I change the lipo.

for a cell battery,
I must go through a pro (I do not know and do welded balancing etc), and I should probably paid for it.

without forgotten what cell I should take ??

if someone in Europe has a battery 72v 20ah for sale at the right price, he motioned :)

Making 150+ interconnects just to be able to change a pouch is not recommended to say the least. Better to go with 18650 from a reliable brand, the likelyhood of one dying is much smaller as with pouches so the need for replacing them is not something to have to worry about

Building custom sized 72v20ah is not a big deal. There are serveral people here that already make them on request. (Like me)

Back