LiPoly powered 18HP Twin Motor Brushless MONSTER build!

I'm using size #35 racing kart chain and steel sprockets... No bicycle chain, except for what your feet use to pedal.

I've ran +50hp in karts with wildly built RM250 engines on this size of chain with no failures. Reduces a lot of weight over using 520 size chain.

Total vehicle weight will be under 70lbs. I'm hopeing to be under 65lbs, but I don't know how much the battery brackets and armor will be. It will definately not be equal or greater than the weight of regular dirt bikes. For example, it is a under a third the weight of my lightest bike, my KTM200exc, and a bit over a quarter the weight of my KTM300MXC, and just 1/6th the weight of my GSXR1000.

I have 1kwh of battery right now, and I can easily make it 2kwh of battery if needed at an additional weight penalty of ~14lbs. (LiPo is very light)

It's just a toy. If it can hold it in a wheelie up to freeway speeds, I will call it a win. If it manages to hurt me in a wreck, I will call it a double win for giving me some excitement.

Also, my work is just 3 miles from my house, so even dumping multi-kW power the whole way, it should work out fine. 2100w charging will make for quick turn-around times when I do drain the pack.

With all that power you'll definitely want that additional kwh of battery, or 2kwh more. You're going to be having too much fun to be satisfied with only 5-10min of riding full tilt. :D

John

liveforphysics said:
I seriously need to get some update pictures loaded. I've made some slick brackets and things.

-Luke

Errrrrm yeh!!!!!
Sounds like it's going to be a total monster, pics dammit pics!!!!!!

Cheers,

D

Hi Luke,

Just ran across this in another thread:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=7468&p=113434&hilit=+nexus#p113434
...most MTB hubs aint that strong in that particular area. I like Phil Wood's hubs in that area, they're STRONG.
31071275.jpg

Dude, this thread is Bogus!
All these promises of pictures and high end fab... I see no pictures :|

I bet you have just been sitting around watching reruns of the Simpsons in your tighty whities. :roll:

Here is a picture for you: Precision Machining at Methods Machine Shop

ProjectWheelie_007.jpg

On the ground there is another one of my precision tools.
I am known for the quality of my work :wink:

-methods

What can I say? I don't have your level of skills and tools Methy. I do that best I can with what I've got though :)

My problem is time. If MS would fire me, or maybe just work me 8hr shifts rather than 12-16hr shifts, I would have finished up a couple weeks ago. I'm actually very glad to have a good job right now, and I will happily work any amount of hours thrown at me. Lots of fellow engineer buddies have been getting laid-off right now, and it's amazing how fast a persons savings deplete after your job is gone. Ugly economic times right now.

Best Wishes,
-Luke

Ok, that was a dismal post.
I am going to sacrifice my dignity in an attempt to make you feel better.

Here is a picture of me in a boat off the shore of Santa Cruz.

IMGP3452.JPG

-methods

methods.jpg

Just trashed the piss house.JPG

This is my $300 van

View attachment 2

This is my $300 van on a tow truck (with a 250G fishtank in the back)

300 dollar van on a tow truck.JPG

I later sold it to a man who had no teeth.

And finally, to prove that I have no good sense, here is a picture of me tilling up a perfectly good lawn in front of my $300 Van.

Tilling up good grass.JPG

Feel better yet?

-methods

liveforphysics said:
My problem is time. If MS would fire me, or maybe just work me 8hr shifts rather than 12-16hr shifts, I would have finished up a couple weeks ago. I'm actually very glad to have a good job right now, and I will happily work any amount of hours thrown at me. Lots of fellow engineer buddies have been getting laid-off right now, and it's amazing how fast a persons savings deplete after your job is gone. Ugly economic times right now.

MS = M$ ?

Why the hell would someone fire an engineer? Before the current financial situation there was a massive shortage of engineers, that should not have changed.

How do you sell a product or technical service if there is no one there to make it? :shock:

Oh, and please post some build pics to stem the flow of Method's visual barrage

I can't begin to explain why MS does the things it does.

I think the peak confusion around the actions of MS would be centered around not making a piece of software worth the disk it's stamped on since 2003.

Fortunately, I just do power generation and cooling engineering for MS datacenters. Can't blame me for the vulnerable crashy malfunctioning bloatware.

hah thats funny check out this video my dad just sent me about vista http://blip.tv/file/340692/
liveforphysics said:
I can't begin to explain why MS does the things it does.

I think the peak confusion around the actions of MS would be centered around not making a piece of software worth the disk it's stamped on since 2003.

Fortunately, I just do power generation and cooling engineering for MS datacenters. Can't blame me for the vulnerable crashy malfunctioning bloatware.

Those pictures are hilarious. Is that the official project mayhem support van? Is there room in the back to pass around a doobie? I get a kick out of loading my $2000 mt. bike out of my $500 Subaru too. Priorities man, you gotta keep your priorities straight.

If I remember correctly, Methods bought that badass van for the single purpose of moving a new aquarium that he bought on Craigslist. I seem to remember a phonecall from him asking if he could just drill a 4 lug steel wheel with a cordless drill to fit the 5 bolt pattern that the van needed. I can't remember why he needed a new wheel and not just a new tire, but i do seem to remember him being concerned about it sitting abandoned on the side of the road with a very expensive aquarium hanging 3ft out of the back doors.

Methods also has a few other cars, one of them with around $15,000 in engine performance upgrades.

Methods is pretty much totally awesome. We are so alike, and so disalike at the same time, yet we get along great.

-Luke

I gotta give him credit for having the best retard-face though. Everytime I look at the photos he posted I can't help but start giggling like a blissful retard myself. :)

Methods Rocks!

It takes a special kind of guy to buy a van just to move something... instead of just renting a better one for less money. :p The paint job of the $300 one is nearly priceless though.
I would like to know the specs on methods' tuned gasser :)

The picture of the perfectly good grass getting tilled made me laugh.

Silly me! I had been working so hard on comming up with a clever charging system for my bike. This guy all ready had the ultimate chargeing solution all ready figured out!

You guys will love this informative battery chargeing video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IF4wX8bnGs&feature=related

Oh hell no.....
"It's called electrical tape because it conducts electricity"... lol...
You KNOW at least someone tried it.

So if you have not read I destroyed Project Mayhem for good practicing wheelies
I was hanging my ass over the tire and dragging my feet all up and down the block and I cooked my 5305 at 215C (420F)
I took it all apart to be sure, phase wires are shorted.
Sound the trumpets.

The 5305 is just weak and I dont want to buy another.
I briefly considered running dual motors but the price and unsprung weight are just too high.
My only choice is to go to the dark side.
I am going to have to build one of these funky chain driven red-headed bastard children.

I think I am going to try an Etec or the like.
Good god how am I going to mount this to a dual suspension mountain bike?
All these pulley and cranks and mounts. . . Just makes my bowls turn.
Give me firmware settings and reverse engineering and electronics any day.
I dont know how you guys do it.

-methods

methods said:
You drove that SPL beast?
That is bad ass.

My electric car was built on a frame I got for free. It was some sort of old RC10 buggy?
(I dont know RC cars at all, I am a plane guy)

-methods

Methods.. i'm really surprized :shock: You've been interested in SPL, RC10(RC car) and Ebike....

I had RC-10 (team associated) too

I competed in dBdrag competition unofficial score 157.2dB on the Audiocontrol SPL180 meter in my integra

I also drive my bike with a 5305 at 100V...

Do we have both genetic profile copy?? :?:

Doc

Attachments

• P1000869_1024x768.jpg
    P1000869_1024x768.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 1,829
  • rc10-2.jpg
    rc10-2.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 4,089
  • complete dash board 3.JPG
    complete dash board 3.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 4,137
lol, here is my RC10:
http://deviantmethods.com/PostHold/RC/Brushless_RC10/6S_Brushless_RC10_Buggy.wmv
Even though I knew nothing of RC cars I built it for 6S.

My SPL car was a 1992 Toyota Tercel
two JL Audio 15W6
I think i already told the story of warping my trunk with expanding foam =)

-methods

Doctorbass said:
methods said:
That is bad ass.

My electric car was built on a frame I got for free. It was some sort of old RC10 buggy?

-methods

Methods.. i'm really surprized :shock: You've been interested in SPL, RC10(RC car) and Ebike....

I competed in dBdrag competition unofficial score 157.2dB on the Audiocontrol SPL180 meter in my integra

Doc

No Way! I was at 157.2 also! Too funny! I love it!

My 157.2 was with a wall of eight 15s in a sealed box (1.5cu ft each). So, I haev you on cone area for sure. Man, 157 is a LOT with two 12s!

Matt

He forgot to mention the small explosives the had under the passenger seat. . .

-methods

recumpence said:
Doctorbass said:
methods said:
That is bad ass.

-methods

Doc

No Way! I was at 157.2 also! Too funny! I love it!

My 157.2 was with a wall of eight 15s in a sealed box (1.5cu ft each). So, I haev you on cone area for sure. Man, 157 is a LOT with two 12s!

Matt

eeee... I mean 2 x 10" !! :twisted: not 12"... !!!! it's two treo SX10 dual 1.0ohm coil that i drived with a XXX6500D of soundstream... and a boost pack to pump the 12V to 18V made of 112x 18650 lithium cobalt cell from deffective laptop battery!

total measured watt: 108A at 77V AC.. do the math..

no need explosive Methods.. the S-S amplifier exploded two competitions after during a hot day of july!... 41 fets blown

Doc

Doc

Methy- You will be really glad you switched from hub to something with gears. I rode this lithium bionix setup that was suposed to be something wonderful... Umm... I couldn't have been more disappointed. It was just like having somebody help you pedal a little easier. I have no interest in that. I'm looking for something that is able to accelerate fiercely. When a motors efficiency is directly related to the rate at which the magnet moves past the pole, it means hub motors all start out with very low efficiency and high heat, then due to the large rotor diameter to try to give them starting torque, they quickly reach field saturation and back EMF limits the current they can pull at speed. Fairly lame IMO, but you guys pushing 100v do a good job of working around the problem. I would recommend you try out an Agni motor. If I could start my build over, I would try one of them out. 10lbs lighter than an E-tek, more efficient and more powerful. Still pretty pathetic compared with RC motor technology though, so when CNC guy finishes up the giant motors he is making, that would be the very best option for you. I think an electric bike should have about 20kw to make it into something thrilling to ride.

Doctorbase- I used 4x 15's with dual 2ohm coils, and 8x 1100w class D amps (this was the first class d amp to come out, the Directed 1100D, this was like 1997), one bridged into each coil. I had the alternators to keep them fed, 4 optimas, 0awg wire, and caps. I never broke 155db, but I did break most everything in the car from vibration. I'm totally over that hobby now, but if I could re-do things, I would go with less drivers in better designed enclosures. I was very space limited to fit 4x 15s, and it compromised box design.

I have a badass video that is hosted on Methods site right now, but it's in an FTP folder, and I couldn't seem to make a link to it that worked... Methy? You wana make a link so they can download the video in a folder called "lukes" on your site? Im apparently web-tarded. It's called LukeGSXR.avi

You can watch the time on the video to see what real acceleration is about. At the 11 second mark, I'm doing 81mph. Then the race starts. At the 16 second mark I'm doing 150mph. That's what a wildly build gasser can do for you :) This same bike will be getting a large Nitrous Oxide injection setup in a few months when the weather warms up and I feel like riding again.

I fixed the link
I gave Luke a sub FTP account which can be confusing.
To him it looks like he is in the root directory but really he is in a sub folder

http://www.deviantmethods.com/liveforphysics/Lukes/lukegsxr.avi

woah.... Check the speedo on that last run. Was that 190mph?

Fastest I have ever gone under my own control was 165mph.

BTW: If anyone else wants an FTP account to host movies and pictures just let me know.
I will set you up.

-methods.

Back