LiPoly powered 18HP Twin Motor Brushless MONSTER build!

Looking good

Interesting that you chose to have the weight un-sprung.
I thought you have been beating into my head the old mantra: "UN SPRUNG WEIGHT.... (luke beats drum) UN SPRUNG WEIGHT.... (luke beats chest).....

Sprung or not I really like how nice and tidy that will be. Long chains make me groan. . . I really like the tight fit you have worked out.

Quick word of wisdom....
Those Hobby City 5S JST-XH-P Y-connectors need to be glued. The pins will push out of the back at the worse possible time. Just run a bead of superglue, hot glue, whatever along the heat shrink in the back. Early on I had a couple push just far enough out.....

-methods

Thanks for the tip methods! I will slobber some epoxy along the back sides of the pins.

I never realized just how small those Rhino packs are. Maybe I'll have to sell my konion packs and go lipo. Of course the tiny lipo's are certainly offset by that giant sprocket. I assume you do plan to lighten that puppy (without reading back thru the whole thread). If you need a vacation and a heavyweight test pilot, bring that baby down to Costa Rica once it's ready. In the meantime, thanks for sharing the progress with those of us who only dream of the ride you'll have, and the rest who would be to afraid to ride it. :D

John

Now I know why you say "in CR" :)

Costa Rica sounds fantastic! I love to dive! My main hobby is growing corals. Most people never would guess that about me until they see my setup at my house.

I would love to visit and dive out there sometime :)

Dont let him come.
He will try to pillage your reef and smuggle the coral home on an airplane.

-methods

Don't pretend you wouldn't do the same thing Methy.

Some people just feel more comfortable flying with 20 ziplock bags with coral frags in them duct-taped all over their body. I will never do the pocket full of hermit crabs again. The tickling got to be terrible, and they kept managing to crawl out. If hermit crabs can live on crumbs of airplane snacks, their may still be some living on that plane.

My bike is going to be so bad ass that I will be able to ride wheelies on the front wheel going backwards :wink:

-methods

Talk is cheap. I want to see you ride a regular wheelie first. :p

I think we should race to see who gets there non-hubmotor bike operational first. It would be a race that you've got a chance of winning. :p :lol: :twisted:

methods said:
My bike is going to be so bad ass that I will be able to ride wheelies on the front wheel going backward

Either that or it is build backwards? :wink:

Oh, C'mon Methods, you left yourself waaaaaayyyy out in the open for that!

And I quote Peewee Herman "I meant to do that!" :mrgreen:

Matt

If I have to I will bolt a 5303 on the front fork, a 5305 on the back fork, and I will over-volt the cyclone for a "one shot" race.

It is inevitable that Luke will win no matter what I do . . . He is slightly more reckless than I am and he does not have a $3,600/mo mortgage to worry about, a wife who has a honey-do list, and (I hope) a stack of unsecured debt that needs tending to (I think I am up to what. . . $50k on the line of credit right now?). That will teach me to buy abandoned houses right before the market crashes :wink:

I will give it a go though.

Certainly a better use of my money that gambling, drinking, and w****s.

Hey, lets compete for who can ruin themselves financially faster?
Now that I have a chance at!

-methods

Guys sorry to butt in - what size / thread are the mounting holes in the face of the HXT?? I was thinking 5mm x 0.8, is that right?

0.8TPM was the thread pitch. I can't seem to remember the diameter. 5-6mm seems to be in the right range though. They are pretty small. It's a good thing you get 8 of them.

You gotta pay that debt off ASAP Methy! That's the american trap. You should tell your wife no more buying anything, you should keep expenses to a minimum to survive for a few months until you get your debt handled. Get a part-time job doing project consulting, eat Top Ramen for a couple meals a day, cancel insurance on the cars you aren't using, cancel your TV programming, etc. Put all that money you save onto the debt ASAP. You and wifey should be able to pay off 50k in 5-6 months if you live right.

I'm not broken, but I'm taking an $1800/month hit in child support+medical starting this month, and I gotta pay 7 months of back child support. That is going to put a serious damper in me building the K26A powered Lotus Elise. Which double sucks, cause Ishan all ready took delivery of his supercharged Lotus Exeige, and now endless teasing has begun over my lack of a Lotus.

This is what his looks like:

76242d1205472167-wtb-08-lotus-exige-s-240-240-s.jpg

I actually want to make an S2000 engine powered Lotus 7 one of these more than the Lotus Elise, but I've all ready built my S2000 powered 510, and I know if the weather was good enough for rolling a 7, I would be on the GSXR with the wheel aimed at the sky.

Child support is going to take a sizeable chunk of my play money, and back child support is taking a sizeable chunk of my rainy-day savings. Good thing I've got the E-bike bug at the moment, and my racecar building bug is somewhat in remission. Much easier on the wallet.

I do respect that you would put all your bike motors onto 1 bike for a sacrifical race against me. That shows that spirit I respect in you. Sadly, I don't know that it would be enough though, cause you know I won't hesitate to over-volt this setup until it's a pile of melted smokeing scrap to ensure victory :)

I think you and Methy should come down late April and make it an endurance race. 180 miles with 2 significant mountains. A race would be more fun than this do it alone thing I'm working toward. Plus it would be interesting to see what wins out, non-stop or fast with stops for charging (no pack swapping allowed, about the only rule). :D

John

PS- Ship the Lotus down, and I'll help finish it. Traffic cops are so few, that you could actually drive it properly here.

I would LOVE to do an endurance race!!! Sounds like a great time! I'm a fanatic for any sort of powered racing.

What do you say Methy? Wana go to CR together and trek through the rain forest and reefs together? I have a feeling that John would be a great guide to help us find some excitement :)

No doubt, debt is a scurge! Been there, done that, have T-shirt, will never go back!

I am glad I am into E-bikes. That is a much cheaper hobby than most everything else I have been involved with.

Matt

MOTORS ARE MOUNTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Entering a race with Methods to see who can get their project running first was just the inspiration I needed to kick this project into gear.

I need to fabricate a chain tensioner bracket, and tack weld it into place. Then I'm taking the whole ugly aluminum tack welded contraption off the bike, unbolting the motors from it, and finish welding all the connections and clean it all up, then re-assemble it onto the bike and see if I want to make any other changes.

Now that I'm rushing it, things aren't looking very pretty, but it's definately a very strong design. I'm confident the brackets could hold a 50hp gas engine solidly in place, so I think they should be ok handleing the torque of 18hp of brushless power.

My charger setup is so badass. I had to setup a 30amp breaker for it, and it pulls 26amps off it. I havent measured current going into the pack, but it's gotta be at least 40amps continous. It's a pretty wicked charging setup. You could safely call it a speed charger. Though my batteries could handle throwing over 100amps at them to charge, I would need to get some 220v power supplies and special breakers to get the power to do it, so I will just have to live with a 20-30min charge for now.

Hate to pee on your parade but we are not racing :mrgreen:
I dont even have my parts yet. I think they must have shipped it via the slow boat and not EMS like promised.

I did receive all the other parts I need like the indexed shifters, 8" rotors, etc.

Lately I have been working on a different project
Full Suspension MTB with a 9 continent laced up in the front
Fully modified Infineon controller, 12S2P 10Ah lipo

So far I have laced and trued 3 wheels on my own:

5305 into a 24" double wide
26" 4 cross rear wheel for the Ghetto Booster (build not yet posted)
26" 2 cross with a 9 continent (That was HARD... Had to build it all at once because the spokes laced so aggressively. . . Impossible to replace a spoke without bending it double. Need to post pictures. Meant to do a 1 cross but used the wrong number from the spreadsheet and got the longer spokes. Came out AWESOME though.)

Keep up the work testosterone twin.

And where are my HID lights you fraud? :lol:

-methods

So, are we looking at power to weight ratio?

What qualifies a person to be included in the Testosterone club?

I am thinking an all up bike weight of 3 pounds per horsepower should be a prerequisite? :mrgreen:

Matt

Back