Lithium Batteries Shipping Rules Discussions

so LiFePO4 are classified as lithium ion and therefore subject to the 20Wh / 100Wh cell/battery limit for air transportation?

Unfortunately, air transport regulations are very strict for LiFePO4 batteries. You must comply with IATA regulations, which requires a hazmat certification and training. They must be shipped as a Class 9 hazardous material. I believe the UN code no. is 3480, or 3090 depending on the type of cells/batteries that you will be shipping. Some good organizations to contact about hazardous goods regulations and training include:

UPS - they have hazmat training and certification courses available and are a good source of information on regulations for various modes of transport

DOT hazmat - they also have training programs and regulatory information for US domestic shipping, and links to resources for international and air transport

IATA dangerous goods - The IATA website for dangerous goods also offers training for shipment of dangerous goods by air and provides lots of regulatory information, etc.

That should get you started in the right direction. I have found that calling the DOT hazmat center and talking to a representative is also very helpful, they respond very quickly to your calls and are extremely knowledgeable about all the various regulations. They can answer your questions more effectively than searching online and often point you to the appropriate agencies and sources for other types of transport information like air, sea, international etc. Their telephone number is 1-800-467-4922.

Good luck!

which lithium batteries ?
was it lipo?
how is it ok to bring them as carry on ?
i'm going to bed

My reading of the "final rule" only requires proper packaging to avoid short circuit, and package labeling requirements.

I was just at Ebikes.ca and read that due to new transport regulations they no longer ship batteries, local pickup only. What's this all about?

Gary

http://www.ebikes.ca/store/
Batteries

At the moment, we are unable to air ship orders of lithium battery packs. We are working to find a Class 9 HAZMAT shipping arrangement in order send lithium batteries in compliance with the very confusing set of new rules that govern the transport of lithium batteries larger than 100 watt-hours.

Transport of Lithium Batteries in Accordance with the ICAO Technical Instructions
Guidance Document:
http://www.icao.int/anb/fls/dangerousgoods/icaolithiumbatteryguidance/icaolithiumbatteryguidance.pdf

l0cK

Lock said:
http://www.ebikes.ca/store/
Batteries

At the moment, we are unable to air ship orders of lithium battery packs. We are working to find a Class 9 HAZMAT shipping arrangement in order send lithium batteries in compliance with the very confusing set of new rules that govern the transport of lithium batteries larger than 100 watt-hours.

Transport of Lithium Batteries in Accordance with the ICAO Technical Instructions
Guidance Document:
http://www.icao.int/anb/fls/dangerousgoods/icaolithiumbatteryguidance/icaolithiumbatteryguidance.pdf

l0cK
Thanks for the clarification Lock. I only read the text from the Batteries page which reads as follows "Please note that due to recent changes in transport regulations governing lithium batteries, we are no longer able to ship battery orders, so they are for local pickup orders only."

Gary

This is a email from Tower Hobbies I just got!
Urgent Notice - Your Immediate Action Is Needed
Send Your E-Mail By October 10
Help preserve your rights regarding hobby materials
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Tower Hobbies Customer,

Many people are concerned with new government regulations that are designed to limit our hobby industry. You've probably heard about the new FAA regulations limiting our use of R/C airplanes and proposed shipping bans for R/C batteries.

New regulations are being considered regarding model rocket motors. This may not immediately impact your particular hobby but it's just another step toward regulation of materials used in hobbies and deserves your attention.

The US Department of Transportation (DOT) has recently advised that they propose to terminate a special permit under which model rocket motors and igniters have been shipped for the last 33 years. If the permit is terminated model rocket motors and igniters will no longer be able to be shipped as "Flammable Solids" and will instead have to be shipped as "Explosives."

In 33 years there have been no incidents involved in the shipping and transporting of model rocket motors and igniters.
Hobbyists need your support. Attached is a sample e-mail that we request you send immediately to express your support.
We believe that shipping model rocket motors and igniters as "Explosives" would only cause unnecessary concern for hobby shops, educators, youth group leaders and families using model rockets for educational and recreational purposes.
If you believe as we do, please send an e-mail to the Department of Transportation no later than October 10, 2011.
To assist you, here is a sample e-mail:
TO: specialpermits@dot.gov
Subject: DOT-SP 7887 Show Cause Response

Dear Associate Administrator,

The purpose of this e-mail is to request that DOT-SP 7887 be kept in force as written. The Special Permit, previously DOT-E 7887 has been in place since 1978 and is used by many of us who enjoy hobbies including model rockets, motors and igniters.

To my knowledge, there has never been an incident involving the shipping and transporting of model rocket motors and igniters. Further I believe that shipping these products as "Explosives" will create unnecessary fear and difficulty for those handling, transporting, receiving, storing, selling and using these products.

After 33 years of use, the termination of the Special Permit is unwarranted and possibly damaging to an educational and recreational product that has an excellent record. In closing, I again request the Special Permit be kept in place as written.

- Your Name and Address
Please take a few minutes to send your e-mail today.
Thank you very much for your support of model rocket hobbyists.
-Tower Hobbies

I don't see anything in there about batteries..

Have yet to hear about this RC battery thing too. I suppose that is another piece of 'legislation'..

neptronix said:
I don't see anything in there about batteries..

Have yet to hear about this RC battery thing too. I suppose that is another piece of 'legislation'..
Its one of the first thing it mentions is the proposed shipping ban on RC batteries!

Yeah - it's the lack of details that has me wondering.

The googler is not turning up any results on any new regulations.

neptronix said:
Yeah - it's the lack of details that has me wondering.

The googler is not turning up any results on any new regulations.
Yeah I will be watching. It is only time till they pull this shit on us, Here on Vancouver island we cant even get led acid batteries with out the acid ship on the plan or ferry it has to come on a barge. ALL GLUE is in the same dangerous goods category! SO this means when I need grip glue to glue on a set of had grips or magnet glue to glue magnets in a motor or white glue to help a kid with a wood project for school I have to have it come on the slow barge and take for ever!!! When is the last time you herd of a plane go down from white glue! I'm so sick of our GOV and the over sensitive BS they try to cram down our thoughts! We need the electric revolution and we need it NOW!

If this is real it's pretty absurd. They should focus their efforts on more dangerous things such as letting cars carry around 15+ gallons of highly volatile gasoline. They are just bombs waiting to go off, look at how often they catch on fire by accident. We need regulation NOW! They also need to regulate jet fuel since most planes burst into flames in a crash. Even if you survive the impact you'll most likely die from the smoke and flames. They should ban airplanes from carrying fuel period. Think of all the lives it could save!

If this is true it wouldn't surprise me at all. The developed countries are regulating themselves out of existence, there is very little freedom left. Too many people worrying about crap that isn't worth worrying about.

I totally agree.
As soon as i signed up for this forum and started reading about lipo, i thought to myself: wow, the USPS gets to deliver the most dangerous battery in the world to my doorstep. this can't last long :mrgreen:

I've already ordered 'the motherload' twice now in fear. You just never know...

That sucks about your part of Canada.. you guys get shafted pretty bad actually. They'll regulate on every consumer good.. then turn around and continue to do the oil sands thing.. and the asbestos thing... but glue is hazmat material? lol.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...os-from-hazardous-chemicals-list-at-un-summit

You're not the only country overdue for an uprising/revolution..
And yo, we are not much better either. Big oil and coal have their pocket in preventing the electric thing from happening here too.

I kinda did the same thing, though I did need the lipo batteries to race. Now that I have a decent pile, I wonder aobut ordering an A123 battery from cellman while it lasts. Only lack o money stops me.

This is even worse now!!! Us pour bastards in canada can't oder lipo to canada unless its uber small from the usa.
I had the local hobby shop order 2 venom 5000mah 4s packs for running the nitro harley drag bike (ignition and computer) and they could not ship them to Canada!

Hobbyking has had that policy in for a long time now actually.. not new.

neptronix said:
Hobbyking has had that policy in for a long time now actually.. not new.
My last order from HK was 10 packs of 4s 5000mah!!! It made it here!

Back