Looking for help designing torque-based throttle alternative

OK, if you're ebike pedals OK with no throttle (many don't pedal so well like this) and you don't want any motor input unless your pedal torque exceeds some pre-defined level, then what you propose will have the following effect:

On the flat, pedalling with a low crank torque, the motor will try and run at a much lower speed than you're travelling at, as the throttle input speed command will be much lower than your actual speed (if it has regen then it'll be acting as a big brake).

On a hill, as the pedal crank torque increases the motor will try and make the bike go faster, pushing the controller hard into current limiting mode, because the bike speed will most probably be well below the demanded speed.

As the hill levels out, the bike will accelerate as the controller starts to come out of current limiting but still tries to accelerate up to the demanded speed, until the point where the bike speed matches the pedal crank torque speed demand.

At this point the motor will start to slow down as pedal crank torque produces a speed command that is lower than the bikes actual road speed.

What I think you will find is that the motor will try and run much slower than you're going most of the time, then will try and run much faster than you're going as you go up a hill, or hit a headwind. You may find this works for you, but it isn't close to being torque control, or power control, it's just really having a control system that will feel maybe a bit like an on-off switch, depending on whether or not the pedal torque sensor demand is greater or less than the actual road speed.

Proper torque control would give you the 'bionic leg' feel, where motor torque boost is directly proportional to pedal torque - pedal harder and you get more torque boost, pedal less hard and you get less torque boost. This would feel pretty natural and allow the motor to try and run at a speed that matches road speed all the time, reducing drag.

The key to understanding this is that with torque (or power) control the motor rpm depends on road speed and load, rather than just the throttle setting. The throttle input (which may come from a pedal or other torque sensor) only controls the amount of motor torque/power boost that's wanted and in theory has no effect on motor rpm. This is pretty close to the way a car or motorcycle throttle works - you only need a very small throttle increase at no load to get to maximum rpm, because the throttle is effectively a torque demand control. This makes cruising simpler, because you don't need to try and do the fine tuning that we tend to do with a speed throttle to maintain just the right speed with a low power demand.

Jeremy

cloudcover said:
hmmm...probably pays to make sure we're on the same page in terms of what i was trying to achieve. :) what i'm really looking for is a system that will ensure that the pedaling force that i'm expending (i.e., my muscle contribution) does not exceed a predefined amount.
We've discussed something similar here: http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=310579#p310579 It's definitely a non-trivial thing.... :)

cloudcover said:
given that, couldn't i just build a simple analog circuit that reduces the torque sensor's voltage output by 20% and feed that resulting votage into the throttle input of the controller?

Apart from Jeremy's excellent reasoning, I also read (http://www.pedelecforum.de/forum/showthread.php?6677-X-Cell-RT-Drehmomentmessung http://www.pedelecforum.de/forum/showthread.php?6677-X-Cell-RT-Drehmomentmessung post #6) that the Thun torque sensor only measures pressure on the left pedal, and rotation on the right pedal. So there you will definitely run into trouble with an analog approach. You will only get support when the left foot presses down, and none when the right foot presses down, which might create a very funny feeling... :)

You would really need to feed both signals into a processor, I'm afraid, and assess them with rules of logic.

I'm also very interested in this idea of riding an ebike without throttle, but based on human exertion. I've even been thinking about a heartbeat sensor... :) But I'm well aware it is not a trivial thing adapting an existing controller, because indeed they are speed based...

I think we could get somewhere even with speed based control, if only we would know which gear the bike is in presently. My bike has seven gears, and the higher gear I choose, the faster I'm intending to go. So, if I would assign a max. speed to each gear, then the applied force (torque) could probably represent a percentage of that maximum speed for that gear.

But to do all this on an existing bike seems very hard. I guess that if you really want such a kind of ebike, you need to buy one which was designed that way.

This would be the ultimate way to ride an electric bike or velomobile for me!

Google Translated:
The electrically powered eROCKIT characterized by the combination of two extremely different characteristics: one simple, any known operation while an innovative, completely new functionality.

The operation is performed by the bicycle: By treading on the pedals to move the car and speed to the rear and front wheel brakes, the lever, as usual, are on the left and right on the handlebars. The revolutionary functionality is based on muscle force multiplier and provides the performance of a motorcycle: The electronics eROCKIT registered by the driver spent muscles and they are multiplied by a factor of up to 50 on the rear wheel off. Thus, a maximum speed of 80 km / h is possible.

The eROCKIT dissolves the separation between the traditional two-wheeler categories: on the one hand, the muscle-driven bicycles, on the other motorcycles.

[youtube]tzsHFka92X8[/youtube]
The sound isn't very pleasant.
[youtube]1zT3eI3dptE[/youtube]
German video but good to see how it goes.
[youtube]tjQz_cYjsH4[/youtube]

Can this be made by people on the forum?

Jeremy Harris said:
Proper torque control would give you the 'bionic leg' feel, where motor torque boost is directly proportional to pedal torque - pedal harder and you get more torque boost, pedal less hard and you get less torque boost. This would feel pretty natural and allow the motor to try and run at a speed that matches road speed all the time, reducing drag.

The key to understanding this is that with torque (or power) control the motor rpm depends on road speed and load, rather than just the throttle setting. The throttle input (which may come from a pedal or other torque sensor) only controls the amount of motor torque/power boost that's wanted and in theory has no effect on motor rpm. This is pretty close to the way a car or motorcycle throttle works - you only need a very small throttle increase at no load to get to maximum rpm, because the throttle is effectively a torque demand control. This makes cruising simpler, because you don't need to try and do the fine tuning that we tend to do with a speed throttle to maintain just the right speed with a low power demand.

this may be an obvious question, but instead of trying to adapt my speed-based controller to use with a torque sensor, is there some place i can buy a controller that is designed to be used with a torque sensor (i.e., that has a torque sensor input)? i should add that i'm really wanting a controller that can handle a fairly large power load -- since i'm using this with a cargo bike -- preferably something that can handle a 48v battery and something like 20-25A. i'm a bit surprised that something like this isn't available, given all of the various sources for hub motors, batteries, and other ebike parts.

thanks again.

Yes, I know of one:

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/405565577-Ebike-controller-connected-to-THUN-torque-sensor-or-H7-axis-sensor-wholesalers.html

As usual, there is very little tech info, though...

Some more in this thread http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27217

Hi, Bosch/Nuvinci Harmony, paired, all motor info and gear ratio adjustment firmware combine to change drive ratio as gradient / headwind alters how hard pedals are pushed and it gears up or down in accordance. So to get your desired effect gearing would need to be considered and dealt with practically. a torque based throttle alone might not suffice. If max torque could be dialed in to a certain rpm to meet a varying cadence speed. Up hill my sustainable cadence can drop to 35rpm , on flat 60rpm , down hill 70+
35rpm = 4.9kph and at a cadence of 60rpm, at a different ratio on a flat road I want max torque (umph) at a different 2520rpm. Tsdz2 motor revs 4000 4000/42 = 95 rpm crank but all i can manage is 35rpm 35 x 42 = 1470rpm motor so when I slog it up hill I dial in max torque to 1470rpm. Wilst dialing why don't I turn the revs down too to say 2000rpm max since I only really need 1470 of them. 60rpm crank would spin 2520rpm motor. twist dial, move max torque to 2520rpm and continue..

Back