Lower speed higher torque

Not sure if I am posting in the right forum, so sorry if this belongs somewhere else.

I am looking to design a small cart that can follow me on treks to be able to pull camping gear and an inflatable kayak.
So I am thinking about a fram which will carry about 100 - 150Kg at walking speed but on inclines.
Because this requires a lower speed (3-5mph), and higher torque than most applications, I wanted to choose a motor that optimises my battery capacity.
I was thinking of using a 24V 150W BLDC motor and driving a output shaft connected to both rear wheels.
These spin at 3000rpm so would need significant gearing.

Does anyone have any recomendations or if I am going in the right direction?

Kind regards,
lostintheunderflow

It's probably more expensive than what you've been looking at but it's convenient since it's got massive gearing already built in, plus no chains etc. Depends on your design I guess. Figured I'd bring it to your attention anyway.

What you just described is a mobility scooter drive assy. I have decent luck scoring dead mobility scooters - mostly at secondhand outlets and occasionally on Craigslist. Nearly all of the ones i've purchased had dead batteries and little to nothing else defective. Likely not the most efficient, but certainly affordable. Install larger diameter wheels, if necessary, to suit your intentions

My latest find.... $25
1716164331808.jpeg

Last edited:
Not sure if I am posting in the right forum, so sorry if this belongs somewhere else.

I am looking to design a small cart that can follow me on treks to be able to pull camping gear and an inflatable kayak.
So I am thinking about a fram which will carry about 100 - 150Kg at walking speed but on inclines.
Because this requires a lower speed (3-5mph), and higher torque than most applications, I wanted to choose a motor that optimises my battery capacity.
I was thinking of using a 24V 150W BLDC motor and driving a output shaft connected to both rear wheels.
These spin at 3000rpm so would need significant gearing.

Does anyone have any recomendations or if I am going in the right direction?

Kind regards,
lostintheunderflow
For designing a cart to pull 100-150kg at walking speed on inclines, using a 24V 150W BLDC motor with significant gearing to reduce the 3000rpm output is a good approach, but ensure you optimize the gear ratio to balance torque and battery efficiency.

Back