magura mt5e higo bbs02

Hi,
I installed magura brakes on my wife's bike using above mentioned method. No problems, works great. I was thinking about cutting off the end and splicing yellow connector on the magura wire but I think this is cleaner and easier. The only issue might be alignment of the pins if one is not careful with making marks.

Nice little higo hack Adam...., your drawings made it clear. I used it and it worked fine, thank you!

Hi!
I was looking into the Magura Mt5e brakes as well. Which one of the versions do we need for the bafang? "Higo opener", or "higo closer"?
Or is the same?

Hello
If you take the mt5e opener than you have contackt if you don't brake if you brake than is the signal broken
If you take the close version than you have only signal if you take brake

So if I were to get a set of these to hook up to a BBSHD build would I get openers or closer MT5e brakes? Despite putting a build together electronics is definitely not my fortay and I have no clue if the BBSHD opens or closes on its brake operation for cut offs. And I'm not finding that information searching. I would appreciate a simple answer opener good to go or closer good to go. Much appreciate any of you taking the time to answer. Thanks in advance!

I had originally planned to use Tektro Dorado E725s but my source is sold out and they dont have a clue of when or if they will restock them. Perhaps for the better even though I'm giving up a plug and play brake I hear rave reviews of the MT5 Magura brakes with and with out e cut offs.

Hi, Bafang uses Closer type brakes.
There are two types of "brake systems". One uses hall effect to detect movement of the brake lever or brake cable.
Second one is just a micro switch that opens or closes when brake lever is moved.
Closer system is used on bafang and that means that when brake lever is pulled the micro switch closes the connection and the controller turns off power to the motor.

:bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb:
Thanks a bunch for taking the time to clearly explain and draw what you meant. This saved me a ton of headache. My Magura MT5e replacement brake blade came (from Germany - nobody in North America had any stock, including Magura) with the red 2 pin connector while my Frey AM 1000 (with the Ultra motor) has the yellow 3-pin Bafang connector. After only a few minutes with an exacto blade, was able to carefully remove the plastic locator tab on the red connector. Followed the directions to carefully mark the red connector so that it aligned with the existing yellow connector and it worked flawlessly the first time (pins are delicate so making sure the orientation is correct is probably the most difficult part). The third pin isn't used on my bike and the brake switch motor cutout works perfectly with just the 2-pins from my replacement blade. About the only downside seems to be the wire on the replacement blade is about 2 inches shorter so the cable doesn't have much slack as before.

Adam271226 said:
Hi, I found a relatively easy solution for using Magura two pin Red connectors with the 3 pin yellow connectors used on Bafang without cutting off connector all together or purchasing adapters.
I located which pin was voltage (used only for Hall effect switches) and which pins were used for "contact" type switches like one in Magura lever.
Pins in Magura connector are 1/3 of the rotation off from pins in Bafang connector.
In order to line them properly I removed the alignment pin from the Magura connector with an exacto blade.
Once the alignment pin was removed, I rotated the Magura connector so that one of the metal pins was at 6 o'clock position, second pin was at approximately 2 o'clock position and the removed alignment pin was at about 10 o'clock position.
With the pin at 6 oclock position, I made a reference mark on the outside of the connector at 12 oclock position with a sharpie. Then I extended that mark to the body of the connector using white paint marker.
This mark will be used to line up red male connector with the arrow on the yellow female connector.

Care must be taken when cutting off the alignment pin. One can cut through entire connector wall or fingers or bend pins.
I was surprised to find out that plastic was somewhat brittle and once I made score mark on both sides, the pin came out with out much difficulty.
Care must also be taken with making reference mark, if not exact pins will be bent. Some force is required to fully insert HIGO connectors so be precise with making new alignment mark because you will not know if extra force is due to normal connection or misaligned pins.

Back