Marbel Board! (FINALLY!)

sl33py

10 kW
So... for those who have followed the drama on FB... Marbel like almost all the other Kickstarter projects has had NUMEROUS delays. I was not a KS backer, but an early'ish pre-order.

I'm not a blind Marbel fanboy. Their communication (lack of) has been absolutely horrific. Every possible way to frustrate the customer with poor or no communication - check! The only person i've had success and repeated communication has been Misti (she seriously deserves a gold star (and a raise)). But frequently i get a sense that she has info but it hasn't been "approved" for release... then several days later it's still not released... then finally it's released and it wasn't anything so groundbreaking you just go "WTF?!".

All of that aside - my board arrives TODAY! (so says the tracking info, which did update within 48 hours from "label printed" to actual tracking and movement)

My plan is to charge it up as soon as i get home and unbox it. Of course i have a volleyball game tonight so probably won't get a chance to ride it until tomorrow/Friday. Luckily i have it off so hope to put some miles on it!! I will let you all know how it goes.

I am a bit conflicted as i've been loving the DIY e-board process. I like to tinker and the community here is absolutely amazing helping someone figure it all out. Ultimately i see the Marbel fulfill a couple niches:
1. weight. I cannot build a 10lb board that goes 10mi. I've tried!
2. Ease of use. I expect this will be almost permanently "borrowed" by my GF when we skate. The boards i've built for her are not as polished and the sensored setup coupled with "starter/eco/custom" modes looks pretty much ideal to setting it up for her. Can't wait for the App!

So... fingers crossed it's more polished than the first couple folks received.

I plan to check the cooling fan and loctite it.
I plan to go to sport mode asap. If it gets "stuck" in one mode - this is the one i want to be stuck in. Until the App shows up and can fix it being stuck.
I'm going to do a general once over and possibly upgrade the bearings to either a set of Roush or Tekton ceramics i have for it. One set gets the Roush one set gets the Tekton's (i have 76mm and 100mm wheels, but will only get the 100mm wheels later when app is released).
I plan on checking the belt tension and figuring out what belt it's using exactly. From pics i'm guessing it's a HTD 5mm belt like we use, but 15mm instead of 9mm. I'll figure out length and get some spares.
Charger - fingers crossed i don't get one w/ "noise" that causes all sorts of issues. Not even sure how to test that without having an Oscilloscope! Time and recharges will tell.
Bushings - have a set of SHR's in duro for my weight will put on pretty quickly. Like any new set of trucks - just one of those things you need to do to "dial it in" for your weight.
Miles - plan on some good long runs to see how it does with max capacity on it. It potentially takes 5-6 recharge cycles before the LED "fuel gauge" in the nose is accurate.

More to come soon.

Got it this afternoon and dove right in:
Marbel-0171.jpg

Marbel-.jpg

Marbel--2.jpg

New packaging - no dust, no scuffs. Seems well protected.

Marbel--3.jpg

Marbel--4.jpg

Marbel--7.jpg

Marbel--8.jpg

Got all the accessories - skate tool, controller with cord, some stickers, etc. Also got the spare belt and spare wheel hub.

Marbel--10.jpg

Power supply info and specs.

Marbel--13.jpg

I have to laugh a little - so if i order a spare belt and spare wheel hub... i'm supposed to get detailed instructions included right?! Hmm... they aren't in the box. Or in the little bag they came in. Luckily i was able to figure it out anyway...

I'll do another post breaking it down. Gearing and belt info! I also swapped bearings to Tekton's! Of course it's supposed to rain tonight into tomorrow morning... hopefully get to ride it tomorrow!!

ISSUES:

Day 1 - Minor issues so far. Thread locker not at the bottom of bolt where thread engages - fixed w/ blue loctite.
Day 1 - Pulley cover bolt - one almost completely stripped (and absolutely not me) - will replace with new stainless steel from LHS soon.
Day 1 - very minor - the griptape doesn't want to stick to the rubber bumper FR/RR.
week 1 - Some weird almost signal drops (new remote on way to troubleshoot) which was a 1/4-1/2 second pause in holding speed. Annoying, but figured app would diagnose and software update would fix.

~2 weeks - about 15-20 miles total on it. Longest single ride 9.7 miles. Went to ride it and all good until i switched mode (2 button pushes on power button) and lost connection with remote. did the resets and all troubleshooting steps i could think of. No luck. Spoke with Misti a couple days after reporting - shipping it back as the blink code looks like a damaged nose control board. Not sure when i'll ship it, but will let you all know turnaround time from shipping to receiving it back.

Shipped back to Marbel on 10/14. Received it back 11/2. 2.5 weeks turnaround. Doesn't seem horrible considering it takes about 7 days shipping each way. I'm pretty sure they repaired it and sent it back withing just a day or two of having it!

I will update as i experience any real issues.

I'm thinking it will be semi-decent but it's only a single motor 50mm motor.

They should of went 63mm for a single.

I think the boosted single motor would perform better.

Interested to see how well it performs. What voltage is it running?

Inboard sounds like a better deal.

Make sure you do a top speed test to see where the MPH holds at and post up a chart too. The only range test has been from that Austin guy who said he was stuck on 20mph the whole time and he got 10miles. So maybe 25mph will get only 7miles? So make sure you post up a range at maximum speed for us to see. Most of the Marbel owners are very hush hush about their speed and range. All ive seen has been alot of complaints and lies from Marbel.

I'll run Strava/GPS and record speed, distance, etc.

They seem to be sorting it out and seeing a lot of folks receiving their boards is good (like me!). Still some growing pains, but we'll see how she holds up after some miles!

Gearing and odds and ends:

Belt looks like a HTD5 15mm x 225! Will be getting some spares from polybelt (inexpensive, and super fast (in the states)).
Marbel--15.jpg

Marbel--23.jpg

Gears - 30t wheel gear.

Marbel--22.jpg

12t motor gear!

Nice carbon fiber wheel spacers. Also some solid engineering on the wheel hub incorporating the bearing to the outside of the gear instead of bolting it to the wheel. Ingenious!
Marbel--21.jpg

Marbel--20.jpg

One of the two tension screws - finally one with some serious loctite!

So speaking of loctite - here's the currently infamous cooling fan bolts that seem to vibrate out.
Marbel--16.jpg

yellow dot is the loctite (or thread locker of some sort)
Marbel--17.jpg
Marbel--18.jpg

M3 x 11mm? Not sure of thread pitch.
20150924_184439.jpg

i took the motor cooling fan off and am 99% positive i know exactly why these things are falling off!!! Loctite placement is too high on the threads and not engaging the threads into the motor... so they vibrate loose and fall off while riding. So simple and easy to spot...

Marbel--11.jpg

10 lbs!

Marbel--12.jpg

FINALLY!

Bolt size is M3 Thread, 12mm Length, 0.50mm Pitch

Yea they should have went with a 63mm motor...

Nice pix

Very good unboxing and analysis of the product.

Wish you to don't have issues on it and enjoy ;).

What are the specs of Marbel....voltage, battery size/chemistry? I can't seem to find it anywhere. I suppose its sensnored.

Aren't you suppose to be measuring the thread of the bolt only, not including the head? The motor pulley isnt keyed?

I know. Pulley is not even completely on the shaft. The shaft is too short.

You can see this video from the same guy above that the pulley is already misaligned.

[youtube]bd4sjZwbL9w[/youtube]

In fact, they should support the shaft by putting that end through a bearing.

That sucks for marble... and everyone who bought into it.

hopefully they will get all this crap sorted out, but still, it seems the QC is awful at the moment...

my bet is after multiple delays, they were just trying to get the board's out as fast as possible, and ended up screwing themselves over in the long run by rushing it to production.

cmatson said:
That sucks for marble... and everyone who bought into it.

hopefully they will get all this crap sorted out, but still, it seems the QC is awful at the moment...

my bet is after multiple delays, they were just trying to get the board's out as fast as possible, and ended up screwing themselves over in the long run by rushing it to production.

I don't know cmatson that i agree - this feels like it's pretty quality and well put together to me. Some small misses - over torque/tightened a bolt and partially stripped it being an assembly issue, the grip tape doesn't want to stick to the rubber - i'll figure out a fix or trim it back. I'd rather have the bumper than impact CF and damage it!

My alignment on the gears looks good without any rubbing. It has stopped raining this morning and waiting for it to dry a bit more and hope to put some miles on it ASAP! That's the true test and i'm pretty confident it will run well for me. Sensored setup/motor on my linoleum seems really really smooth!

Error code after about 15 miles on the board. :( Damage to the nose/power button? 3 blinks twice in a row and then battery status. Remote pairs but won't actually control board.

Boxing it back up to send back and we'll see how quickly it turns around for repair.

While swapping my bearings out (not shipping back with Tekton Ceramics) I took a few minutes to measure the trucks since i forgot the first time.
Also took the remote apart to see internals. For those of you who can spot what chips and radios are used on the Tx.

Wheels/Trucks:
20151010_233551.jpg

20151010_233214.jpg
20151010_233350.jpg

20151010_233708.jpg

Non Drive side. My calipers only go to 6" so measuring the 8mm axle length to compare with motor/drive side.
20151010_233730.jpg

Drive side - I wonder what the cost would be to turn down a truck hanger the necessary 8-9mm to match the marbel setup? Their 30t wheel pulley (wish it was 32 or 36) is only $25. If you look in the pics you can see it's keyed into their wheels w/ the 4 slots. Uniquely it uses the bearing on the inside of the wheel hub and eliminates bolts on the outside of the wheel. pretty ingenious! Looking forward to their 100mm wheel setup to compare.

Remote:
20151010_232300.jpg

20151010_232335.jpg

20151010_232358.jpg

20151010_232408.jpg

20151010_232418.jpg

So there you have it! I'll update the issues post with the error and note when i ship it for repair what the turnaround time is.

Bummed, but all part of a new product to market. Wish it were software and could wait for app to fix, but i think this is a damaged nose component possibly from shipping (inside of box has a good "dent" at the nose).

Will let you all know how it goes.

TX is an RN4020 from Microchip
http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/Devices.aspx?product=RN4020
Bluetooth 4.1
comunicaton over UART
7dBm transmit power

The controller is also from Microchip but I cant read which one

Awesome photos! It looks like lots of people are having issues with their marbel but it's nice to know they are looking into it.

I like the handheld controller and especially looking at the springs on the slide pot.

The bearing idea is legit. I've always liked the idea as it makes many wheels more accessible.

awh, sucks that its already broken :(

Uniquely it uses the bearing on the inside of the wheel hub and eliminates bolts on the outside of the wheel.

thats more copycat than unique - evolve uses that on all street setups since forever. :wink:

Pediglide said:
I know. Pulley is not even completely on the shaft. The shaft is too short.

You can see this video from the same guy above that the pulley is already misaligned.

[youtube]bd4sjZwbL9w[/youtube]

In fact, they should support the shaft by putting that end through a bearing.

this guy just needs to slide the motor mount away from the wheel a few millimeters, easily done, but he'd rather make a youtube video and whinge about it. lol

maxchilton said:
this guy just needs to slide the motor mount away from the wheel a few millimeters, easily done, but he'd rather make a youtube video and whinge about it. lol

agreed. 5 minutes and i'd have this fixed. Annoying - absolutely. But easy to fix.

I am bummed that i had to send the board back. BUT i also understand this is basically a beta product and they are still working stuff out. I'm ok with that to a point. I'm being patient and they've been very helpful and communicative. Can't fault them. I see everyone bashing and am trying to remain reasonable. Hardware fails... I wish it were software as i'd probably wait for the app to get logs and push a fix to it, but this looks like a simple HW failure for whatever reason.

Forget who it was who designed it now (someone here at es) but there's a similar wheel pulley design with a bearing that sits in the abec11 you can get from imaterialize.com It is a nice design but he said there's really no need to even put the bearing in as its a tight fit and stays put with the motor mount against it as security. You would have to cut down the hanger with this pulley as well if u insert the bearing. I have two of them if anyone is interested. 20$ have to go with the real abecs
12 tooth pulley. That's small. If the motor mount is short and therfore the c to c distance is short it will be too small of a pulley according to the c to c calculator as enough teeth won't be engaged. But that's just what the calculator says and maybe it's not really a problem with the torque it experiences
The charger is 30 volt so must be a 30 volt esc and battery

Back