Metacycle died... need help

Sounds like phase legs in the controller are shorting a bit to me. Can you measure the resistance between the motor connection pair combos on the controller. Motor disconnected. U-V, U-W, V-W. Sounds like a bad battery box design for our climate. Glad your getting somewhere with it. Post a photo of the motor- wheel spoking setup. Looked very nice and I know a bunch of folks here would be interested.

Last edited:
Woohoo I got her fixed! The error message led to a hall sensor, which it turns out the company in their wisdom already had a backup second hall sensor wired in place, just in case of "mishaps abroad". I switched the connector to the other hall sensor and Voila! So glad to be back on the road! I'm going to avoid water and rough dirt roads LOL. Here's some more pics. Hall sensors are the two connectors at the bottom, right on the last pic.

Attachments

• IMG_2040.jpeg
    IMG_2040.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2041.jpeg
    IMG_2041.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2043 2.jpeg
    IMG_2043 2.jpeg
    7.5 MB · Views: 12
  • hall sensors.jpg
    hall sensors.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 13
Great you got it working. Hall's do go bad and some types are often problematic with some controllers. Good they installed a spare set. Many here now are ordering motors with spare sets installed if that is a option from the makers. If you want to get deeper into the fail, there are a few threads on testing and replacing them. Something to ponder for the off season if it stays running. The lower parts of the forest road was seriously wet the last few weeks. You will want to seal up those connectors with the weather as it has been.

Great you got it working. Hall's do go bad and some types are often problematic with some controllers. Good they installed a spare set. Many here now are ordering motors with spare sets installed if that is an option from the makers. If you want to get deeper into the fail, there are a few threads on testing and replacing them. Something to ponder for the off season if it stays running. The lower parts of the forest road was seriously wet the last few weeks. You will want to seal up those connectors with the weather as it has been.
Yup I’m jazzed! Some suggested that the original sensors might work again after drying out even more we’ll see. I did ask the Sondors tech, who did not recommend trying to replace the blown sensor. I’m just glad to be back riding again, the Metacycle is cool. Thanks so much for your help!

Hall's are not a simple - easy replacement on a hub motor so I would hold off until you need to do a motor service (hopefully not for many years). The tiny hall sensors are sealed and should be good in water, but the wiring not so much. Unless you went axle deep in the puddles for extended periods I would think it safe to ride. Most of the connectors and wire connections will certainly be at risk, so you may want to look into better water shedding on them. Sounds like some common problems on the bike and user groups should be a good source to have many folks working on and finding solutions on the issues. Not sure if the sensors will come alive once dead. Most likely it's a faulty connection or water born issue.

Back