Mid drive for commuting with Cannondale Contro 3? help?

Hello All,

I am considering building up a mid drive Bafang setup on a Cannondale Contro 3. I have not bought the bike yet, but its likely the one I will buy due to them being on clearance and I also like the unique design. Anyhow, my questions are in relation to the Bafang setup and what I need. I am thinking for a daily commute bike that the 750 watt setup will be fine, but am open to buying the 1000W version if its that much better. Just thinking for a commuter chances are I wont use all the power anyhow. Most of the commute is flat, but I do ride for fun and there are a few good hills in my Area. Commute will be about 12 miles one way from Burbank CA to Downtown Los Angles via the LA river bike path. I can charge at work, but min 20 to 25 mile range with pedaling would be best. I weigh 225lbs.

I am unsure what battery I will need. I have been to the Luna Cycle site and they have many options but unsure whats best for my needs. I would like to optimize the pack for my needs so not really wanting to buy the largest capacity pack there is. Would prefer to keep the bike weight down a bit if possible. The Contro 3 has an integrated rear rack so I am not oppose dot a rear rack battery, but figured that mounting in the frame was preferable. Do I want 48V or 52V? Can I use my RC airplane lipo/lifepo/lion charger? I think its max is 10S however, need to check

Is Luna cycle the best place to buy everything. One concern is I live in CA and would like to avoid tax if possible, yet Gardena is not far away from me and maybe its worth buying local for some help if needed. Other online vendors worth considering? Aliexpress?

The Contro 3 has hydraulic disk brakes and the Disk brake sensors seem janky. Curios if there is another option. Figure its just a hall sensor so my guess something better could be made.

Upgrades? Shift sensor and color display worth the upgrade? What about the special wrench?

Pretty much open to any help or suggestions.

Marc

For commuting purposes, assuming you will travel close to as fast as is possible with whatever setup you choose,, figure on 1 ah per mile.

Normally you will use about 3/4 ah per mile,, but that's a sunny warm day with no wind. In winter your capacity will be less, and a nice cold day with a headwind every inch of the ride will use the whole 1 ah per mile.

And,, next year, your battery will be lower capacity than this year,, so plan on having enough three years down the road.

You should be able to simply omit using the e brakes. Unplugged, the bike should run.

Hello Dan,

Thanks for the reply. So 1ah seems a bit high but I am a noob to this. I plan to pedal as well as I don't want to just commute complete by electric only. Were your calculations based on 100% electric power in my commute? My dad has a 500W BBS02 setup and he gets about 20 miles on a 10ah battery, but he is also peddling. Also for my needs cold wont come into play too much as I am in the Los Angeles area and if its crazy cold which is not often then I will just take the train or drive in that day.

My reply was based on hauling ass,, as is typical with commuters that are on a mission to get there. Fast as your set up will go. Bet your dad is not late to work on those rides. You can make 10 ah go 100 miles,, all you have to do is not really use it at all. Slow down to 15 mph, and you will get at least 2 miles per ah, if not more.

If that is 20-25 mph,, then your pedaling will be not much more than 10% of the power used,, unless you are a pro bike racer or something.

So yeah,, pedaling as hard as you can handle and still put in a days work when you get there,, but it's not hard pedaling, and doesn't contribute much.

Bear in mind,, I said the 1 ah per mile is what you will use on the worst day. When its cold and your battery uses a lot of its energy just warming itself, and you have a 30 mph head wind all the way home. On a nice summer day,, about 3/4 ah per mile, hauling ass.

There is a big difference between what you need to make your commute reliable, and what it actually takes. Lets say you needed a half gallon of gas to drive to work, and your tank is bone dry. Would you put in a half gallon and try to make it? Hell no. Why would you do that same thing with a battery?

Back