Mission Accomplished: Electric Motorcycle Hits 150 mph

EMF

100 kW
Curious about The Bikers Bar? Become a member to v
Source Wired: http://www.wired.com/autopia/2009/09/mission-one-bonneville/

Mission Motors has always said its electric superbike would do 150 mph, and appears to have fulfilled that promise with a record-setting run at the Bonneville salt flats.

Company product manager and test rider Jeremy Cleland set an unofficial record for electric motorcycles when he averaged 150.059 mph during back-to-back runs of one mile each at Bonneville Speedway west of Salt Lake City. The runs, which followed an earlier dash at a claimed 161 mph, came during the BUB Motorcycle Speed Trials sponsored by the American Motorcyclist Association. The AMA hasn’t ratified Cleland’s speed yet, but Mission says it’s legit.

“We set this record on our first visit to the Bonneville salt flats on poor salt conditions and in high crosswinds,” said Edward West, a founder and president of the San Francisco startup. “And to set it with our production prototype vehicle, not a custom Bonneville bike, is truly amazing. It’s a watershed moment for electric vehicles and further proof that the era of the electric superbike has begun.”

Cool. I've been wondering about that 150mph claim from their website a while ago, even after Ilse of Man participation. I also saw the tech headline at http://www.gizmag.com today along with a bunch of other electric vehicle headlines. Electric revolution, baby. :twisted:

I wonder how many watts it takes to go 150 MPH.

That's pretty amazing they are doing it on a bike they plan to market and not some super streamlined one built just for the salt flats.

Deron.

nutsandvolts said:
Where is the market? I mean it's interesting but I just don't see a market. Not one big enough to stay on the P side of P&L.

It's certainly not a mass production vehicle, so this is why it is so expensive - completely proprietary, one off bikes I suppose. Having said that, I bet they still lose money on each one they sell. I would love to know how many orders they would need, before they could produce them for the price you mention. It probably takes forever to assemble and test one of these things. I also would wager that you have to sign your life away to get one, even if you had the money in cash. They are pretty dangerous I would think.

I guess it's for the rich folks with a death wish. I just read this bike can pull the front wheel at 80 miles an hour! :shock:

Edit: Holy Crrrrappp! I am just reading the technology page for this bike. It only has one gear... :shock: :shock:

Back