Modding moped style ebike

jasonahf

10 mW
I'm working on upgrading an older Tao Tao moped style ebike. Currently only goes 35km/h. I've got my eye on a much faster 16inch hub motor but its a disk brake only motor. Haven't found a drum brake motor that goes as fast as I'd like. I found an adapter that would allow me to easily add disk brakes to the scooter (see below) but it's only for 220mm rotors. Any rotors of this size are only 4 or 3 bolt, but the hub motor needs a 6 bolt rotor. Largest common 6 bolt rotors are only 200 or 203mm. I'm kinda stumped here anyone do a conversion like this?

-1177712922-1875774208.jpg

I am working on a Puch Maxi using a QS205 and I‘m using a 203mm bicycle disc brake for the rear. I have seen plenty of 220mm bicycle disc brakes for sale.

There isn’t really enough room to mount a motorcycle disc brake on mine with a pcd adaptor plate because the cable exit from the motor is really close to the brake disc screws.

I made a custom brake caliper mount using 5mm steel plate. So I’m sure you could fabricate something similar for your application. From your photograph it looks simple enough.

The only tools I needed were an 4” angle grinder with a cutting disc and a file to clean it up afterwards, then a couple of drills and a 6mm tap.

Even though I’m using a bicycle brake on the rear, it’s much more powerful than the stock Puch Maxi drum brake and I have also enabled e braking to save the pads from wearing too quickly.

IMG_0131.jpeg

IMG_0132.jpeg

Last edited:
Back