Moderators deleting forum content?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well suits me for now Chris if i ever get serious about electric ill be back here for sure...

KiM

It's happened again. I go to sleep and when I wake up. Someone deletes stuff. Weird that my post complaining about deleted posts has been deleted.

Email received 5/19/2017 1:38 AM, Topic reply notification - "Nelson37" Now the whole topic is gone.

PLEASE stop deleting forum content.

Still searching for the morph999 post about his encounter with the "ketchup lady" Has that also been deleted?

I've been wondering if swbluto is/was morph999?

I can verify that...often, a contentious thread is temporarily moved to the moderator section to preserve it and to present it for consideration. I'm sure many members imagine that the moderators check every post on ES twice a day, but...in reality, the pay sucks (there is no pay) and each one of us have families and jobs that take up some of our time (make that most of our time?).

I get a woody in my sleep. I wish I could sleep more...

I like any answers, and it's nice to know why something is moved or deleted. Also, I don't really consider tomjaz's an 'answer' per se, but I'd have to say I do concur.
:D

Anyway, I'd sure like to know WHO deleted these banned members' content, despite them being very helpful additions to the community (even morph I guess, though that was a comedy routine). So what if people had/have a public problem with a vendor that's also a member? It's not like that problem didn't seem to be justified. It's not like they broke rules in voicing it.

Rules do remain about some interpretation, and to me without a recorded interpretation when 'acting' for said rules it kinda makes things look rather gustapo around here. So let's have a WHY as well?

Moderators are meant to "moderate ". I think it is fine to move/merge/modify/delete or whatever they think is the best option.
They can be wrong just like any other human. That's it and I guess There's Nothing else for us to add. As long as they don't change my nick to Pink panties I don't think I wanna complain.

There seems to be a major misinterpretation of "rights". A forum is privately owned and typically run by moderators. Unpaid donators of latge amounts of time. There is no first amendment and no guarantee of like minded administrators.

The road recently has been a bit rocky on some levels but at it core it remains the place to share and learn. We'll wake up tomorrow and there will be new members and some old members gone. A cycle that will repeat over and over.

Those that believe teirbpresence is necessary to the survival are the ones likely to be most likely to be disappointed.

BTW, I have never seen a technical post sharing information disappear. Period.

tomjasz said:
BTW, I have never seen a technical post sharing information disappear. Period.
Every post by Nelson37 has disappeared. All thats left of his [technical posts sharing information] is where others quoted his words.

Here is 7 pages of various posts where others quoted his words.
Search found 155 matches: +Nelson37

My feelings are that it don't matter if posts are about helping me to repair a Gateway ZX4250G computer, women, or ketchup. Deleting forum content is bad practice.

Suggestion to moderators. Internet forum's are like children playing in a sand box. Might be best to just let the children play, argue, learn, and be children.

Suggestion to moderators. Internet forum's are like children playing in a sand box. Might be best to just let the children play, argue, learn, and be children
Your Point is legit. That's how the perfect forums should be. Unfortunately I must disagree. Es is a huge forum. Thousands of members. Plenty of nice people and sadly Plenty of unappropriate comments as well. Since we do not respect each other at all I find the presence of moderators a must. We should't doubt their work. They are doing it for free after all. I wish I could agree with you marty.

marty said:
Suggestion to moderators. Internet forum's are like children playing in a sand box. Might be best to just let the children play, argue, learn, and be children.
Until you become a victim and then I promise, you'll change your mind. I suspect nelson got caught in the middle of a "moderation". Not everyone, I'm certain, agreed with the banning of the other fellow either.
BTW my favorite forum would have shut you down many posts ago. This isn't an exercise in free speech. One only has to spend 5 minutes in the toxic threads to see why it exists and why it doesn't in the main topics. Mean people suck.

tomjasz said:
marty said:
Until you become a victim and then I promise, you'll change your mind. I suspect nelson got caught in the middle of a "moderation". Not everyone, I'm certain, agreed with the banning of the other fellow either.
BTW my favorite forum would have shut you down many posts ago. This isn't an exercise in free speech. One only has to spend 5 minutes in the toxic threads to see why it exists and why it doesn't in the main topics. Mean people suck.

If someone's income is being threatened and the threat doesn't appear unappeasable (i.e., mean people), yes, there will likely be vicious responses. I had my own issue with that in that past, a customer making an issue much more problematic than it needed to be, because she was trying to hit me everywhere she could, which was ridiculous IMO. In my 2000+ customers, she was the one and only customer that's been /that/ vicious/vindictive.

Turns out her boyfriend likes writing poems about the streets of murder in Washington DC, so I'm thinking I just got the lucky "murderous" customer that one time. :roll:

Once I had nothing left to lose, I let it all out and she was like "oh god... I don't appreciate you demeaning me...", lol. Jeez, bee atch, don't dish out what you can't take in return. Gosh, people aren't lifeless ragdolls. :roll:

I liked how she suddenly tried concealing her identity. Told me she was getting afraid... which she deserved.

we should all support the leadership by following in their direction.
everyone start with deleting one of your posts, perhaps your first since it's likely "not a technical post sharing information".
wait a month to see if whomever is doing the deleting received the message.
if not, keep doing so once a month until they come to grip this isn't their own personal playground.

it's the deviant method.

this is your forum guys. Nobody owns it but you. You can make it beautiful or you can burn it down - I will be right behind you.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=30842&hilit=revolution&start=25#p445691

the empire, impervious to assault from without
succumbed to decay from within.

First, I have taken the precaution of copying this to Notepad (Correction, Word, Notepad looses all the paragraph formating) and collecting some user e-mails for forwarding and re-posting, but I can create new users all day long and I haven't even fired up a VPN yet.

Where to begin? The deletion of Marty's entire thread was just wrong. Deleting the last post, I could see that, it was a poke, a mild poke, but deliberately so. Deleting the entire thread was just petty.

Labeling it as "contentious" was laughable and absurd.

It does not quite rise to the level of "powermad dictators ruthlessly crushing all dissenting voices" but it is a step along that path.

Ypedal, by your criteria the entire Toxic section should be deleted, along with a good chunk of the main board as well. I told you I would not tolerate that man calling me a troll and since the mod room was either unwilling or unable to address the problem, I politely asked that the mods just stay out of my way while I dealt with it. I did not, at that time, use the expression "gutless", or "paid shill", either.

Gaston, I am disappointed. I expected better.

Now, Tom, if you truly have not seen any post sharing technical info deleted, I invite you to peruse the link Marty so helpfully profided. You should find half-dozen or so in the first two pages. Thanks for the link, Marty, I would never have thought to search for people quoting me, didn't think there would be that many.

There was a significant amount of input that could be useful to many in this user base that was erased. Someone who does this thinking they are "moderating" is doing it wrong.

There is also the new user who was confused on several basic concepts and one of my last posts gave him a simplified explanation, which I do not know if he ever saw. No one else responded to his question and SFAIK he never posted again after my posts were deleted.

There is also the John in Japan thread where I nailed down the critically important detail that he had left out, that being the sole and entire cause of his problem. I reamed him for not disclosing the needed info and wasting everyone's time. I also pointed out some significant further info he needed to solve his problem. That thread should be saved and stickied as an example of how NOT to get your problem solved, users withholding important info is a very common problem.

Now, while you are checking those, I want you to note a few from Ron, where Mr "I am not upset by truthful assertions" gets mightily upset by my truthful assertion that his business relationship with a vendor should be publicly acknowledged. Interestingly, Mr "I do not have time to check all new posts twice a day", therein states rather emphatically that he DOES, in fact, do just exactly that, darn near word-for-word. Gonna give you a tip, son, if you decide to take up shoveling fertilizer as a hobby, you need to be mindful of which direction you are flinging the crap, otherwise you will be observed with it coming out of both sides.

I told you all you were in a battle for your very soul. It may already be too late, there seems to be some changes in the user base. The users do not own the site, though they very easily could. They ARE the site, they ARE the value, they will make it what they want to be, whether they realize it consciously, or not.

OR, they will go someplace else and create what they really want, and the mod room will be left holding an empty bag of nothing but hot air.

There are several other issues that should be openly discussed, and will be brought up. This is going to happen because it will benefit this userbase, and because I think it is necessary.

oh dear lord...

First, the concept of moderators having a personal ( not sure what word to use here.. ) agenda??.. no.. all of us just want the forum to run as smoothly as possible. .. threads like this one, don't help us any.

2nd, for every user who wants moderation, another user wants less... personally, i don't really care what any of you want or don't want.. i do what i think is best at any given time, my mood, blood alcohol level and the moon are factors that change on a daily basis.. and so do my actions... but as a whole, i do my best to keep the peace as much as i can while kicking up as little dust as possible.

3rd, for every thread that potentially goes poof, there are hundreds more with the same information floating around this place, you all make it sound like it's the end of the world if a single post goes missing... come on.. seriously folks ?...

Haters will hate... not much i can do about that... .. you choose to be the person you are.

if we got rid of " moderators" and just let the forum run however the wind blows, i personally think it would turn into a shit show far faster than if we step in once in a while and straighten things out. if you think differently, you are entitled to your own opinion.

Print Screen from:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=85659&p=1253481&hilit=Nelson37#p1253481

Ypedal said:
Marty, get over it.

i MOVED the thread to the moderator area, but could delete it all the same... it contains nothing positive, useful or otherwise to the forum as a whole... just pisses poeple off who complain and rain more drama where drama needs not be. .. move on.
Moved, banned, ALL posts deleted. Why were ALL posts by Nelson37 deleted? My complaints about deleted posts deleted. To tell the truth I am afraid that by complaining, all my account could be deleted and all my posts, private messages, pictures, story's, etc. could be deleted. I don't do Face Book. Want to see the history of my life since 2007? It's all here.

we are all human... when someone gets the boot around here, they typically pushed fairly hard to get it.... but eventually, patience runs out and shit goes down.........

Starting a post, about a banned member, is not cool .. please don't do this ( to all and any drama queens reading this thread )

OK, #1. The focal point of the problem is one particular vendor, one whom you all KNEW was problematic long before I did. Tell me, how many people in that mod room are on his payroll? How many admins has he offered a $25,000 bribe to?

#2 I don't really disagree with, in principle.

#3, you did not delete a single post, for any good reason, you deleted ALL of my posts, with no thought or concern as to whether or not they might be useful, you simply erased me. This is an action against the best interests of the userbase.

No, they did not contain the greatest wisdom ever, and no, it is not the end of the world, but it IS the end of open discussion.

I will also point out that NO ONE ELSE has posted about enhanced levels of warranty protection available to US purchasers from a US vendor when they purchase a defective product which was known by that vendor to be defective or to contain a serious design flaw, which may include substantial additional dollars awarded. You deleted that one TWICE. Gonna go for three and make it ABUNDANTLY CLEAR whom you actually serve?

on the payroll ? lol... dude..

Deleting the entire profile, ok, that was overstepping.. i was not the one who did it, but what's done is done, all you had to do was STOP posting relentlessly and it would have been fine.. as you were told countless times over... but oh no.. just had to keep poking. .and poking. and poking..

Over the last 15 years i have spent more money than i can possibly recount, testing various vendor products, at my own cost, many of them were total junk, and my postings reflect it, but you don't see me posting about it 7 days a week, every hour of every day.. pissing people off endlessly... got a beef to pick pick it.. then move on. ..

The whole point of this forum, best i can recall, is to crack things open, find problems, fix them and show everyone else how it's done so they can do it too..... beyond that, you just being a cry baby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back