More thinner strands vs less thicker strands

Chalo said:
Jellyfish0 said:
I used the wrong term, by surface area I meant to say mm²

The same cross-sectional area of the same kind of copper will give the same motor performance, regardless how many strands. Thinner strands are easier to wind onto the stator, but the relative volume of varnish on the surface of fine magnet wire can limit the total mass of copper you can fit into the slot.

:bigthumb:
Makes a lot of sense, I was told it would change the kV, but it didn't seem logical, because it's like comparing 2 cables of the same awg with different number of strands

In a 3T kV model of motor, there are not 3 super-fat wires wrapped around each stator-tooth. Since skinny wires can bend easier and also conform to the available window shape between the stator-teeth, a 3T motor would have a fat bundle of many thin wires wrapped around the each stator-tooth, which has the ends of the wires connected so the path of current goes around the stator-tooth three times...

The motor "thinks" its a very fat wire that went around the tooth three times.

That's the way I understand it. I hope that was right.

Think the big difference is the coating on the copper wire. Takes up space that could be used for more copper. Not sure if most would worry about it. Unless your packing as much copper as you can at that point would refer back to liveforphysics method of copper fill.

may not ever replace the copper myself, only if to see if it could be increased. Could you go by weight? Once you cut all that copper out, measuring it would not be fun.

https://chargedevs.com/newswire/wafios-speedformer-three-in-one-bending-concept-for-motor-hairpin-production/

Many clever ways to get turns while keeping the advantages of bus bar fill factor.

The magnet wire insulation is very thin and doesn’t take up much space.

I think if you can get the same amount of copper on with big wires or thin it should be the same performance with the only variables being thin wires trap more heat with air pockets, and if those thinner wires are a tangled mess they don’t produce the same magnetic field strength as nice organized loops of wire.

Back