Motoped anyone ?

complete motopeds weigh around 100-125lbs..
thats less than half the weight of a "regular motorcycle"..
therefore, amazing power to weight (depending on motor choice)..
since motopeds are available as a frame kit, one can build it to their own personal taste/use..
including gas/electric hybrid if desired..

heavymetalthunder said:
At 125CC or above, I think I would get a regular motorcycle. In CAL. at 155cc you now a motorcycle and can ride the freeways. Now you have to pay registration and buy insurance. Also, with the weight of the bike, it is going to take a fairly big e-motor and batteries to get the bike moving. A 49cc gas motor and with a E-motor would be nice. You don't have to pay registration and with the right muffler the noise will keep you under the police eye.

I rode three different engine sizes and 2 different electric versions. The 49cc was really a fun ride and is legal. Pedals around really well at low speed too. The 155cc is clutched and has a gear box. Its not slow at all because of the power to weight ratio. I was very surprised at how quick it was. It was as easy to ride as a TW200 is and to me that says a lot. A light powerful setup is a beautiful thing as many of us on this site know.

The 15kw mid drive electric moved out, it was faster than the Cromotor running 11-12kw off the line by a good bit. The mid drive was louder than the hub motor but still quiet. Lots of options on the table, all of them lots of fun and levels of street legal.

This frame is going to be a real fun one. I forsee many projects happening on ES regarding this frame.

zombiess said:
The 15kw mid drive electric moved out, it was faster than the Cromotor running 11-12kw off the line by a good bit. The mid drive was louder than the hub motor but still quiet. Lots of options on the table, all of them lots of fun and levels of street legal.

Didn't the chain drive add a lot of noise or no?

m52 power! said:
zombiess said:

Didn't the chain drive add a lot of noise or no?

Yes, the chain drive adds some noise, but it's still pretty quiet, not much louder than a good freewheel. The one I rode doesn't sound like a blender or some of the mid drive setups I've previously heard, it was much quieter than those.

Thanks for the reviews zombiess, did you have a favorite. I should be getting mine soon, but have not settled on any motor setup.

kfong said:
Thanks for the reviews zombiess, did you have a favorite. I should be getting mine soon, but have not settled on any motor setup.

The 88cc with pedals and gear box because it was a good amount of power and both the electrics of course. The hub motor version I converted rode beautifully and was silent. The 155cc motor in the bike made it really fast, but it was also loud. Each setup had it's own strengths and weaknesses.

I know that's politicking a bit, but it's really the only way I can describe it. If I was going gas I'd most likely go 88cc with the gear box. Electric, hub motor of course, but I'm a street rider, not a jumper.

cal3thousand said:
This frame is going to be a real fun one. I forsee many projects happening on ES regarding this frame.
Yep, I'm waiting to see people do scary mid-drive builds with this. Maybe water-cooled Colossus?

Thanks zombiess, being quiet is a big priority. I was originally going with 125cc and do all I can to make it quite, restrict the hell out of it, ect. Do you think I can approach similar sound levels as the 88cc? Gas only because I want the distance to explore and ride to other cities. What gearbox are you referring to? Sounds like a non standard feature.

all the motoped gas versions have a "gearbox"/transmission..
its just a matter of how many gears & whether its auto/semi/or manual clutch..
49cc in usually 2spd auto; mid power can be auto, semi, or manual multi-gear; higher power is usually manual transmission multi-gear..
manual shifts the quickest, as long as you can clutch that is..
the electric versions (so far) have all been single speed (since a gearbox is (less or) not needed w electric)..
all versions have single speed for the pedal input.. but a rear derailleur could be fitted to a (narrow) hub motor for multispeed pedal input & higher speed pedaling capability..
:idea:

recumpence is planning an "INSANE power" mid-drive motopeds build.. : :twisted:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=22560&start=175#p844315

trevc2 said:
Yep, I'm waiting to see people do scary mid-drive builds with this. Maybe water-cooled Colossus?

the lightweight vehicle category is rapidly advancing! these look awesome! still want a greyborg, but this is on the list too.

now we just need to work on legislation...

Thanks, that clears up the gear assembly. I assume mine will have the standard gears then. Is there any info of the gear ratios?

Have not seen a version with a clutch, how is that even done with a bike having pedals?

manual transmission will require some fancy footwork to hit the shift lever w cranks/pedals..
or use the peg kit for manual trans builds..
dbl brake lever options are available for using rear hand brakes w the clutch lever if desired..
:idea:

kfong said:
Thanks, that clears up the gear assembly. I assume mine will have the standard gears then. Is there any info of the gear ratios?

Have not seen a version with a clutch, how is that even done with a bike having pedals?

Just got my Motoped Frame
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60318
Currently looking at motor choices. Zombiess, I plan to pedal mine and have seen YouTube videos of the semi-auto versions. They look like the shifters can get in the way of pedaling and seem awkward to shift. Did you find this the case?

http://uncrate.com/stuff/motoped-survival-bike/

Understandable that they chose ICE propulsion, as it's a little hard to get electric power when you're out on your own in the wilderness. But there's something to be said to being able to charge up your bike by rolling down a hill.

Would be a fun project to convert though. That'd be a sick bike to own!

Hi,

http://gas2.org/2014/09/06/motoped-launches-off-road-moped/
Part extreme dirt bike, part motocross racer, the original Motoped was one of my favorite discoveries of 2013. In 155cc form, the ultra-lightweight motoped could break every speed law in the book, and its narrow form, upright seating position, and excellent brake/suspension bits conspired to make it one of the best urban road missiles money could buy. Now, however, Motoped is going off road.

Like, way off road. “Where we’re going, we don’t need. Roads.” off road.

Meet the Motoped survival bike. Like the Cogburn CB4 hunting bike we talked about a while back, this bike promises to take you and your gear way out into the woods with silent, zero-emission pedal power. Where the Motoped is different, however, is that it has a motor- so you’ll be able to drag back that dear/pig/turkey you shot without excessively taxing your muscles. Granted, that gasoline engine won’t do you much good if there’s a real apocalypse (gas goes bad after a few months), but with nearly 100 MPG fuel economy on offer, it’s not like you’ll burn up what little gas you may have too quickly, you know?

In any event, what you’re buying when you pick up a Motoped is actually a kit. It’s a frame, in other words, with all the difficult engineering like mounting points, swingarm, and the Motoped’s patented pedal-drive system already in place. From there, you can build the bike you see here using the bodywork, seat, and engine/transmission from a Honda XR50 mated to high-end dirtbike components, or you can go completely psycho and build your own Motoped from the company’s ever-expanding list of parts and accessories.
L-side_back1.jpg

R-side2.jpg

R-side_back1.jpg

John in CR said:
"Motoped’s patented pedal-drive system"
What part of the pedal driveline is worthy of a patent?

"The motoped has a patented pedaling system that combines the engine drive with the pedal drive through a jack-shaft located in the swing-arm pivot. This means that the rear wheel drive chain is not loosening and tightening as the rear suspension travels through its arc. Also, this allows for one chain going to the rear wheel unlike most motorized bikes that use two chains to the rear wheel - a separate chain for the engine and the pedals.."
9aa4546c15b27f5f9b952cadb5cd27ca_large.jpg

Back