Motor Cooling Ideas

kwheels

1 mW
I'm curious as to how some of you cool your motors.

I'm using a custom motor based off a highly modified mag motor s28-400, and overvolting it.
It already has a large heatsink that sticks out into the airstream, but my main issue is after I stop moving, and the heat soak saturates the motor...the entire motor gets nearly too hot to touch.

Some of the ideas I've had so far would be a radiator off a motorcycle, an AC blower fan and scoop, and my personal favorite, a blast of CO2 sprayed onto the heatsink, and possibly motor case when I'm done riding, to essentially freeze the heatsink over.

I dont really know how well any of these ideas would work, which is why I come to you guys. I have a good imagination, but a bad understanding of thermodynamics. What have you done to cool your motor,or controller or even batteries for that matter?

kwheels said:
It already has a large heatsink that sticks out into the airstream, but my main issue is after I stop moving, and the heat soak saturates the motor...the entire motor gets nearly too hot to touch.

This heating effect of the heatsink getting hot is the evidence you need to see that your motor's insides are being cooled by it. When you stop and the case gets hot, it means the parts inside were much hotter during riding, but the wind was keeping the outside of the motor cooler so you weren't aware. When you stop and the case heats up, it's doing this by rapidly cooling the heat from the inside of the motor.

My favorite method of motor cooling is to use or modifiy motors to have improved efficiency so they don't produce as much heat.

Back