motor cycle tires/rims and bike tires/rims - combinations ..

izeman

1 GW
when i started mountainbiking there was 26" wheels. that's it. not more not less. today we got 29", 27.5" and 24" as well - 28" for city bikes.
my first ebike follows this, and is a regular 26" bike with 26" mountainbike rims and tires. my second ebike got 20" bmx rims and perfectly nice fitting Pirelli ML 75 2.75-16 XL 46J TT wheels, made for mopeds. those wide and thick tires add some weight but are bulletproof on a bike.

so the first match i can contribute:

20" bmx rims and 16" moped wheels do go together.

now i want to built another mountainbike as off road is not my fast small wheeled bike's domain. i need bigger (larger diameter) wheels for that. i read that 24" big fat bike tires would be almost 26" regular 1.95-2.1 wide tires. the widest 24" bike tire i found was 3.0" halo contra. not bad. but is this 3.0" width the same width as 2.75" of my 2.75" moped tire above? 2.75" does just fit into a regular fork, so i guess 3.0" would also fit as it's just 6mm wider.

anyone got any recommendation for 24" tires? how do i calculate the outer diameter of the 24" wheel?

what would be the right moped tire to fit a 24" bike rim?

No moped tire fits a 24" bicycle rim, none that I know of anyway.
Halo Contra is a good tire, it is made by Duro and the equivalent of the Duro Razorback. It is better than many moped tires. Even better, the duro Wildlife Leopard is the same with softer gum, also found under the name of Arrow Racing Savage. That is about the best for off road if you plan to ride on 24", the outside diameter is 25.5"

Then, off road riding is much smoother with larger wheels. A 26 X 2.7 Kenda Nevegal makes 27.5" OD, a Nokian Gazzaloddi 26 X 3.0 makes a tad more than 28".

thanks. so you propose to go 26" and fat tires? i thought eg. stealth bomber is 24" as well, and you ride 24" as well. why is this then?
widest tires i found for 26" are 2.5" wide, so not REALLY wide - balloon like.
also the larger the wheels are, the heavier they become. a 2.5" 26" is the same weight as a fat 3" 24".

have you seen the tires on Zombiess new greyborg warp build?

big ass tires:
file.php

full thread here:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=53986&hilit=cromotor+greyborg

Back