Moving Company Questions?

marty

1 MW
Thinking about advertising a moving company on CraigsList.

Add would be something like this?
reach_silver_front_angle.jpg
Truck going from New York State to Colorado. Leaving August 00, 2019. You load, I drive. ...or... I pack, load, drive, unload.
How to price a project like this? $1 a mile? $1 a pound? Packing, moving stuff is $20 per man/woman per hour.

How big is a 12' Step Van?
● Cargo Area Dimensions: 12' x 6' 11" x 6' 8" (LxWxH)
● Volume: 554 cu. ft.
● Max Load: 4,700 lbs.
● Gross Vehicle Weight: 14,200 lbs. max.
● Empty Weight: 9,500 lbs.

What fits in a 12' Step Van?
● Up to 554 cu. ft.
● 1 Bedroom Home – 2 Bedroom Apartment
● 4,700 pounds of whatever ya got?

reach_body_dimensions_side.png
reach_body_dimensions_rear.png
reach_body_dimensions_top.png

Does [Max Load: 4,700 lbs.] seem right? Truck weighs 9,500 pounds empty. On the sticker I see:
GVWR 12,000 LB
GAWR (FRONT) 5360 LB
GAWR (REAR) 8840 LB
GCWR 18,000

GVWR = Gross vehicle weight rating
GAWR = Gross axle weight rating
GCWR = Gross combined weight rating. That's with a trailer. No trailer for me. I never learned how to drive in reverse.

I have put 24 garbage cans 1/2 filled with rocks. Approximately 100 pounds each and about 1000 pounds of tools and shelving. So about 3400 pounds of stuff in the truck and it seems to handle 3400 pounds no problem. Stopping takes a little longer.

A cubic foot of gold weighs 1,206 pounds. 1,206 x 554 = 668,124 POUNDS! So no we can't fill the truck with gold :shock:

Using Google Maps I made a map My house 14223 to Boulder, CO 80303, 1,566 miles. Took me a while to figure out how to:
Measure distance
Click on the map to add to your path
Right click / Left click?
Made a black line with the miles marked next to the route. I don't like driving long distances. Do like adventures. Added 4 stops for sleeping every 300 miles. Figuring 300 miles is about 6 hours of driving? Is this correct?
Here's the route:
TN OF TONA, NY 14223
Rossford, OH 43460
Lasalle, IL 61301
Casey, IA 50048
Lexington, NE 68850
Boulder, CO 80303

Thinking of staying in $30 Airbnb's or hotels. Any lower cost sleeping options with a shower? Wife don't like sleeping in the truck. Anyone here want to rent a bedroom to the wife and I? We usually behave OK. I'll buy dinner.

What will this cost? 1600 / 10 miles a gallon = 160 gallons of diesel fuel at $4 a gallon is $640 for fuel. And another $640 to get back home. Thinking to also place adds in Colorado Craigslist to get $ for the trip back. Sorry no truck load of marijuana going from CO to NY. That would be a bit smelly.

Next step is to call some moving companies to see what they charge for a load like this. Might make more sense to tie stuff to pallets and hire a trucking company? Take a plane and forget about the hassle of driving. Or drive the car. Car is way nicer for driving then my stupid, noisy, bumpy, truck.

Another issue might be insurance? Thinking of a INSURANCE/HOLD HARMLESS AGREEMENT? My thoughts are that the chances of all the stuff I might be transporting getting destroyed by fire, lightning, theft, or space aliens, are really small. I think that anyone who pays for insurance on a washing machine or a TV is a idiot.

Any other concerns? ideas? comments? suggestions? What am I forgetting? I have never traveled this far by car or truck.

I'd believe any commercial vehicle would need to hit the weigh stations, even non-commercial vehicles that are above a certain weight, but I am no knowledgeable person on what goes down south of the border. I watched a video on yt a few days ago where a guy was transporting a diesel pickup truck, and the guy had a goose-neck trailer, with a not for hire sticker on it. He was worried about the transport fuzz stopping him because A) he was hauling a goose-neck 5h wheel and B) the truck on it. I could be totally wrong on everything just mentioned. I believe he was going from NV to CA.

There's gotta be a website on that info. Just something to look into I guess for your biz!

I know up here in the bitter cold of Canada, over weight is a big BIG ha$$le, but you wont have to worry about that.

markz said:
I'd believe any commercial vehicle would need to hit the weigh stations, even non-commercial vehicles that are above a certain weight, but I am no knowledgeable person on what goes down south of the border. I watched a video on yt a few days ago where a guy was transporting a diesel pickup truck, and the guy had a goose-neck trailer, with a not for hire sticker on it. He was worried about the transport fuzz stopping him because A) he was hauling a goose-neck 5h wheel and B) the truck on it. I could be totally wrong on everything just mentioned. I believe he was going from NV to CA.

There's gotta be a website on that info. Just something to look into I guess for your biz!

I know up here in the bitter cold of Canada, over weight is a big BIG ha$$le, but you wont have to worry about that.
Read on the internet about all kinds of rules for big trucks. It's OK to fill the truck with beer and transport it from one place to another. Not OK to drive to the store, buy a 6 pack, transport it back to where you want to drink it.

Years ago I did get a ticket for too much weight in a full size van. They had 2 scales. Jacked up the truck put scales under 2 wheels. Repeat for other 2 wheels. Punishment was not too serious. Had to pay for more weight on the registration.

Dauntless said:
https://olympiamoving.com/2014/07/24/cube-sheet/

https://onesimplemove.wordpress.com/2009/05/29/how-movers-price-your-move-using-a-cube-sheet/
Thanks for the moving estimate help. Looks like a excel project. My wife's father was a estimator for a moving company. Everything he looked at, He would tell you the approximate weight.

I really did not want to get involved with packing other peoples stuff. It's hard to find help. When I hire temporary people from https://www.peopleready.com/ They steal stuff.

Was thinking of a alternative to a https://www.uhaul.com/ truck. 10 foot U-Haul truck 14223 to 80303, $1,429.00 All rates include up to 6 days of use and 1830 miles.

Why drive? I imagine all the stuff ya might pack into a 10' or 12' truck. Friend of mine has a fork truck. Imagine everything tied to pallets? http://www.centraltransportint.com/
3 HUs L:48 x W:48 x H:48 - Class: 70, Weight 3000 pounds
That's 3 pallets 1000 pounds each.
HUs = Handling Unit(s)
14223 to 80303, $762.72

So if my calculations are correct? Costs about 1/2 as much if ya use a trucking company. Unlike me. Truck drivers are real good at driving long distances.

Back